What is your latest food "discovery"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
It can be a new product on the market, or something you've just tried for the first time, or even something you re-discovered after years. Either a food or a kitchen gadget/appliance. For me it is that I've always like chevre (French goat cheese), but recently our local Wal-Mart started carrying Alouette brand goat cheese crumbles. They are so convenient to use in salads and pasta dishes. Yummy!

sous vide cooking & molecular cooking. also
we learned that calcium chloride, soy lechitcin, xanthan gum, & other items(nitrates; nitrites) could make great food.
a balance of contrast in colors of the food items offered. considering textural differientations/presentation.

in my quest for salt free or very low salt recipes. i have once again found penzeys. they have a ton of salt free spices and seasoning. very tasty for making salt free food.

My current and apparently enduring, snack "passion", are Snyder's pretzel pieces. Specifically the jalapeno and the hot Buffalo wing flavors. They seem to be at most supermarkets along with other flavors.

While at Sams today I can across this cheese called DaVinci, it is a "rich dutch cheese with Mediterranean herbs, sun dried tomatoes, garlic and cured olives"... Just had a piece and it's quite nice, kind of like a gouda... Thanks Kades gonna be eating cheese for weeks now... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Had some Tom Kha at a Thai restaurant for the first time, and now I seem to think that almost anything can be made tastier with the addition of fresh ginger, lemon/lime zest and cilantro.

Roasted beets!!!! I forgot just how wonderful they are...and EASY too! I saute the beet greens in some "stuff" and set the beets right on top. They are our latest addiction.

Claire - a few goat cheese crumbles on the beets is heaven!

Two things, just this week.

Crema Mexicana. It's thicker than heavy cream, thinner than sour cream, but has a slight tartness like sour cream or creme fraiche. Can think of a bunch of things to do with it. Foremost is drizzling on a pastry or cake, or sweetening it a bit and drizzling on fruit. Found it in a jar at a latino market, but later noticed that my local Safeway carried it.

Agave nectar. Natural sweetener made from the same plant tequila is made from. Sort of like honey, not as sweet and a bit thinner. Very slight herbaceous taste. Again, I can think of a ton of things to do with it. Tonight, I fried some plantains, and melted some butter with cinnamon and agave nectar and spooned it over them. Really great.

Hmmm ... Crema is available in my town and I've never tried it. Cream Fraiche isn't available here, and I occaisionally use buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream in foods where I want a tart, milky flavor. I will definitely try it.

luvs, when Mom was teaching me to cook, she told me that you'd get the best nutrition if you put as many colors on the plate as possible. She also told me that darker was better than lighter when it comes to nutrition from your vegetables. Many moons later, I was taught the same thing in high school home ec classes. Then I moved to North Dakota where everything was white on most plates (and tasted like it). I still think Mom has it right. Not only is it prettier, and more pleasing to the tongue, but you're more likely to get what you need from the plate as well.

Hmmm ... Crema is available in my town and I've never tried it. Cream Fraiche isn't available here, and I occaisionally use buttermilk, yogurt or sour cream in foods where I want a tart, milky flavor. I will definitely try it.

luvs, when Mom was teaching me to cook, she told me that you'd get the best nutrition if you put as many colors on the plate as possible. She also told me that darker was better than lighter when it comes to nutrition from your vegetables. Many moons later, I was taught the same thing in high school home ec classes. Then I moved to North Dakota where everything was white on most plates (and tasted like it). I still think Mom has it right. Not only is it prettier, and more pleasing to the tongue, but you're more likely to get what you need from the plate as well.

Claire you can make your own Cream Fraiche with heavy cream, and buttermilk... Your mother was a smart lady, brown food just tastes better...

i'm very into color/contrast. there's the people that offer broccoli so withered & grayish in color i could weep during presentation, lol! then there's those that own an appreciation; (like your Mom & yourself & many others amongst us, that appreciate food presentation almost as much as the food! :)

Back
Top Bottom