What is your Pet Peeve?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A spare universal remote similar to the one in Grumpy Old Men might work!

Although it could stimulate some spirited conversation before you are fully awake! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I work real hard to wake up an hour before anyone else! I know i am lousy company when I first wake up.

Another Pet Peeve...people who think I owe them kindness and politeness when they offer none back.

All your pet peeves PLUS: those people with their self entitled attitude, people who think themselves better than others (a little humility goes a LonG way), people who can't agree to disagree (we are all allowed to have our very own opinions)- a few people I love do this to me. It's not enough that they tell me their perspective, I am expected then to abandon my own belief and because they have explained themselves to just instantly agree with them. I am very understanding. I can understand their stance and respect it, but still have the right to keep my own - but those people don't comprehend that. That's ok. If there's one thing my profession has taught me, it's Nurse face. Often if I love the person, Nurse face it is - just let it go, water off a duck's back, show no emotion - in other words pretend really good so as to convince them and it'll all be over soon. Secretly my opinion, belief, what have you is indeed intact. And no one got hurt.

My pet peeve is driving related. But not the kind you would think of. I don't drive. Except for my scooter or those in the supermarket.

I was in the supermarket and a woman had her cart parked in such a way there was no way I could get around it. I politely asked her is she would mind moving it. She totally ignored me. After all she was the only shopper in the store. So I watched her walk off again and took note of which direction. I got up from the scooter, straightened out her cart, backed mine up and rammed hers about six or more aisles away in the opposite direction of where she had gone. After all, I was the only shopper in the store. I didn't even see her cart. ROAD RAGE:wacko:

My pet peeve is driving related. But not the kind you would think of. I don't drive. Except for my scooter or those in the supermarket.

I was in the supermarket and a woman had her cart parked in such a way there was no way I could get around it. I politely asked her is she would mind moving it. She totally ignored me. After all she was the only shopper in the store. So I watched her walk off again and took note of which direction. I got up from the scooter, straightened out her cart, backed mine up and rammed hers about six or more aisles away in the opposite direction of where she had gone. After all, I was the only shopper in the store. I didn't even see her cart. ROAD RAGE:wacko:

I have been so tempted to do the same thing Addie!! What peeves me more than anything is that when I ask them if I can please get by, they give you that nasty fish eye like you're disturbing them. To the moon I tell ya!

I have been so tempted to do the same thing Addie!! What peeves me more than anything is that when I ask them if I can please get by, they give you that nasty fish eye like you're disturbing them. To the moon I tell ya!

Don't be afraid to move it for them. A lot of people will thank you. I have even gotten a round of applause. But I did it with a smile. I have even asked one person for their name, address and phone number so I could report them to the Federal Govt. for being in violation of the ADA. One time I completely blocked someone from moving. When others saw what I was doing, they joined in and cut off all avenues of escape. Let face it. I am a trouble maker. Life is hard enough for handicap without ignorance adding to it. :chef:

my pet peeve is people who drive slowly in the fast lane forcing you to try to pass them on the right. when you do, they speed up so you can't get in front of them. then, when you fall back in behind them they slow back down. often, it's people texting or fiddling with their phone. grrrrrrr.

at times i've thought people don't really do that but rather it's just a matter of perspective when trying to pass someone on the right. but i've had the window down as i was passing them and you can actually hear them gunning the engine to speed up to prevent you from getting in front. grrrrr.

another peeve is people who get on the 10 or 15 "items or less" line at the supermarket with 27 things. if i'm in a bad enough mood and i'm right behind them, i'll ask them if math was a tough subject for them in school. you should see the look you get when they realize what i mean by my comment.

or people who get on the express lane and then try to pay by check, usually taking even longer because they didn't have the check or their i.d. ready.

Last edited:
bt, I love playing with stupid, ignorant imbeciles. It makes my day. And if you really want to tick them off big time, smile all the time. Never raise your voice. It is very hard to argue with someone who is sweet. The next time you get behind some idiot in the express lane, offer to help them count. With a smile and sweet voice of course. People expect a man to be aggressive. Never sweet. And if you are behind a rather young woman, comment about how you are only offering to help her because of her advanced years. With a smile of course and a sweet voice. Then duck real fast. She is likely to throw a can of food at you. And not with a smile and sweet voice.

I am one of those folks who can think fast on my feet. I always hear, "Why didn't I think to say that?" :wacko:

lol addie. yes, i'm always all smiles and politeness when i'm being insulting. or i wave and smile like a big dumb idiot when another person is going nuts and flipping you off as they drive badly.

my latest peeve is people who are obviously not handicapped parking in handicapped spots. i always go over and ask the driver why they don't have handicapped plates, or is it a mental handicap...

Last edited:
lol addie. yes, i'm always all smiles and politeness when i'm being insulting. or i wave and smile like a big dumb idiot when another person is going nuts and flipping you off as they drive badly.

my latest peeve is people who are obviously not handicapped parking in handicapped spots. i always go over and ask the driver why they don't have handicapped plates, or is it a mental handicap...

We have some very stiff fines in this state if you pull that. I got into an arguement with a big burly truk driver. I was out on my scooter and the truck was across the sidewalk and partially in the driveway. I couldn't go off the curb or I would have destroyed my battery. I asked him nicely to please move the truck so I could get by. He got mouthy with me and told me what I could do to my own anatomy. I quietly told him, he could either move the truck or I would call my daughter at the RMV and report him and then I would call the police. I had my cell phone in hand. He got into the truck and moved it. But he was mumbling while he did it. When he pulled the truck out of the way, his boss came over and wanted to know what the problem was. I explained it to him and heard him yelling as i went on my way.

I always carry a piece of paper and pencil with me. I write down the plate number, time and place when someone is parked in handicap and shows no placard or license plate. There have also been times if I have my small camera with me, I will take a picture long shot and one of the plate and front window. They are not happy when they get the bill in the mail. If it is a local violation, I also let our local police station know. For shopping malls, I let the mall office also have the info. I am on a mission. :)

In all the truth, I never completely understood what the "pet peeves" really means, I mean the term it self. But from reading your responces I take it it means things a person doesn't like, right? Where does the term come from then?
A "peeve" is a source of irritation. In this phrase, I could be wrong, but I think the word "pet" is probably derived from the word "petty," and not a tame dog or cat.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me. ;)

Last edited:
A"peeve" is a source of irritation. In this phrase, I could be wrong, but I think the word "pet" is probably derived from the word "petty," and not a tame dog or cat.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me. ;)

I always assumed the 'pet' part had to do with your favorite or "pet" peeves.

A quick search reveals:

"The meaning is a personal annoyance. "Pet" as in subjectively specific to a person, not a widely-held social convention. "Peeve" as in something which upsets someone very mildly. Scratching in public might be a pet peeve, warfare would not. Don't have a clue as to origin."

And here:
"The word peeve actually started out as peevish, meaning ornery or ill-tempered. Some references date the first appearance of the word peevish as occurring in the 1300's and some in the 1500's. Either way, it was through back-formation that the verbal form peeve meaning to annoy or irritate came about in the early 1900's. And it was not long after that the word pet was added to form the phrase pet peeve. As for pet, it is actually a shortened version of petty meaning trivial or minor. Hence, a pet peeve is a minor irritation. "

We have some very stiff fines in this state if you pull that. I got into an arguement with a big burly truk driver. I was out on my scooter and the truck was across the sidewalk and partially in the driveway. I couldn't go off the curb or I would have destroyed my battery. I asked him nicely to please move the truck so I could get by. He got mouthy with me and told me what I could do to my own anatomy. I quietly told him, he could either move the truck or I would call my daughter at the RMV and report him and then I would call the police. I had my cell phone in hand. He got into the truck and moved it. But he was mumbling while he did it. When he pulled the truck out of the way, his boss came over and wanted to know what the problem was. I explained it to him and heard him yelling as i went on my way.

I always carry a piece of paper and pencil with me. I write down the plate number, time and place when someone is parked in handicap and shows no placard or license plate. There have also been times if I have my small camera with me, I will take a picture long shot and one of the plate and front window. They are not happy when they get the bill in the mail. If it is a local violation, I also let our local police station know. For shopping malls, I let the mall office also have the info. I am on a mission. :)

How is your state about giving temporary handicap designation? It's impossible here in Quebec. So, when I was walking with a cane because my left ankle was sprained, I had to park where I could find a regular spot and limp all the way to the store. I couldn't afford to have my car towed at the time, so I just put up with it. Sometimes people who don't have an indication of being handicapped on the car have a good reason to use the space. And having the tag hanging from the mirror could be because one has a handicapped relative who doesn't drive. But that person can get away with parking in the handicapped spot.

Back
Top Bottom