"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #71
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
That reminds me.... the smell of a cadaver lab. I had that smell stuck in my nose for days after each class, it was awful.
I can recognize the smell of someone in ketoacidosis from the doorway. This is severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Most people who are actively dying have this smell about them, I was shocked when I smelled it on Shrek when he was in the hospital. I got his IV fluids changed to a sugar solution.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I can recognize the smell of someone in ketoacidosis from the doorway. This is severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). Most people who are actively dying have this smell about them, I was shocked when I smelled it on Shrek when he was in the hospital. I got his IV fluids changed to a sugar solution.
Is that the smell you can sometimes detect on diabetics? I use to notice a funny smell on my mum, who was diabetic, every once in a while. I didn't associate with diabetes until many years later.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
When I was a treenager, I worked in a state hospital for the chronical ill. You knew when someone was dying because they used to put a powerful deoderizer in the room. It didn't help much. But you got used to the smell. I once was feeding a patient that died while I was feeding her. I kept waiting for her to swallow. She was 102 y.o.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #74
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Is that the smell you can sometimes detect on diabetics? I use to notice a funny smell on my mum, who was diabetic, every once in a while. I didn't associate with diabetes until many years later.
Yes, that is the smell, ketoacidosis in diabetics shouldn't happen, but is expected in someone who is dying.

I don't find it revolting, I have become accustomed to it in my work with end-of-life care. But, it was a shocker to smell it on Shrek.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Yes, that is the smell, ketoacidosis in diabetics shouldn't happen, but is expected in someone who is dying.

I don't find it revolting, I have become accustomed to it in my work with end-of-life care. But, it was a shocker to smell it on Shrek.
Thank goodness you caught it, and got his IV changed!

I remember that smell when I worked in the nursing home as a teen too.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #76
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thank goodness you caught it, and got his IV changed!

I remember that smell when I worked in the nursing home as a teen too.
It is a natural process when someone is dying of old age, not natural in a younger person. There is a very fine line between it being a process you anticipate and one that is not wanted.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #77
Sous Chef

Quote:
I'm glad you are so good at what you do and was able to recognize it in Mr. Shrek! I love a good nurse
Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #78
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thank you, Merlot. Much as the Ogre drives me nuts, I'm not quite done with him yet.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #79
Executive Chef

Quote:
Unfortunately, it seems incidents like this are far too common at many health care facilities. What's the cost per shift for a private RN in your neck of the 'woods'? How amenable are health care facilities to patients being attended to by private nurses?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #80
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Unfortunately, it seems incidents like this are far too common at many health care facilities. What's the cost per shift for a private RN in your neck of the 'woods'? How amenable are health care facilities to patients being attended to by private nurses?
Depends on the what organization a private duty nurse works for. Around here it is $60-75 an hour, the organization has to get it's cut. The hospital loves a private duty nurse, they don't have to pay them, but the nurse is still saddled with the hospital policy when it comes to getting what their patient needs and road blocks can be thrown in their way by extra protocols they must follow. This is as much to protect the nurse and the hospital in case of a lawsuit as it is to cause a slow down in care.

I believe in family members to be fully empowered in the decision making process, because they KNOW the baseline of the patient. My concerns and anger over aspects of Shrek's care have been reported, also the manner I was treated when voicing my concerns. I also have the advantage of being a classmate of the Nurse Manager of the hospital in question, she knows me and my work.

Heck hath no fury like a nurse taking care of her own ogre.