What will Santa bring you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the water as well. I can only get about 20 laps in in an hour, I am not a very good swimmer but so badly want to learn the technique.:)
For me, it has always been a combination of both--technique and mindset. I conjugate verbs when I swim laps. I start with German verbs. If I get through all of the ones I can think of, I do French verbs. I rarely get through those, but when I have, I conjugate Spanish verbs. Weird, I know, but I can swim a lot of laps doing that. A friend did addition and multiplication when she swam laps--sort of the same thing. I conjugate verbs when I drive long distances, too.

I am about to find out...we are going to be opening our presents very soon :)

It is Christmas Day here and it is a lovely day, sun shining, it doesnt get any better than this ;)

I talked to my daughter today. She told me he's getting very excited about Christmas day and Santa's arrival. He received a Portable North Pole personalized greeting from Santa and that just cranked things up more. He couldn't figure out how Santa knew his name and where he lived.

Santa knows every little boy' and girl's name. And he knows who naughty and nice. I bet he is one of the nice ones. :angel:

I agree, Andy. I don't even like surfing on them as the screen is so small.
And as far as games go... I clicked on Games last night to see what they offered. Everything had a price next to it. You would have thought they would have included a few free games. It doesn't look like it does any more than my smartphone does. And that fits in my pocket.

Oh, to keep this OT, I may just buy myself another Christmas present besides the new sauce pan. My coffee maker is back to brewing terrible coffee again.

You can hack those pretty easily.. and get android apps.. and my favorite. A app that lets you skip unlimited times on pandora..

I got a nice button up to the neck soft cardigan boucle sweater. And a much needed new bra, a VERY LARGE can of baby powder, a crystal owl to add to my collection, a small purse perfume, and $100 in much needed cash. Tomorrow I will get my shawl. I use the baby powder every day. Go through it like water. :angel:

You can hack those pretty easily.. and get android apps.. and my favorite. A app that lets you skip unlimited times on pandora..

I can get anrdoid apps for my ipad mini? That's pretty cool.

I just unboxed my new coffee maker. It reminded me of the movie Swingers. The box behind the box, behind the box, behind the box... (you'd have had to seen the movie).
And it came with 12 samplers! I thought the description said four, so that's a nice surprise. I'll run a cleaning cycle through it tonight and try her out tomorrow morning.
Whoo-Hoo!

For me, it has always been a combination of both--technique and mindset. I conjugate verbs when I swim laps. I start with German verbs. If I get through all of the ones I can think of, I do French verbs. I rarely get through those, but when I have, I conjugate Spanish verbs. Weird, I know, but I can swim a lot of laps doing that. A friend did addition and multiplication when she swam laps--sort of the same thing. I conjugate verbs when I drive long distances, too.
Do you have a teacing background?

I am about to find out...we are going to be opening our presents very soon :)

It is Christmas Day here and it is a lovely day, sun shining, it doesnt get any better than this ;)

Merry Christmas, Kylie...now the rest of us need to catch up!:)

Do you have a teacing background?
No--but I studied 12 languages, so I had a lot of verb conjugations to memorize. Swimming a mile (or more) is very boring. Doing something to get through the boredom got me to the end of the lane every time. This worked for me. I swam MILES conjugating verbs. When I used to run and when I used to do competitive cross-country skiing, I did the same thing to get me in "the zone."

Last edited:
No--but I studied 12 languages, so I had a lot of verb conjugations to memorize. Swimming a mile (or more) is very boring. Doing something to get through the boredom got me to the end of the lane every time. This worked for me. I swam MILES conjugating verbs. When I used to run and when I used to do competitive cross-country skiing, I did the same thing to get me in "the zone."

When I'm doing something mindless, I think (you think, we think) of recipes and food.

same thing i get every year ... sunglasses .. i have a bit of an obsession ...

Shrek and I got matching snack bowls with our names on them. They are great, took Shrek 5 second to fill his with dark chocolate kisses. We love them!

I got a Serenity T-shirt and another that says "Bring Back Firefly!

Shrek got a gyroscope and a electronic thingie that responds to vibrations with flashes of light. He's been shouting at it and is gong to set it up in front of his amplifier and play music at it.

Matching snack bowls... that's great. What a neat idea for a couple.

I got a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet! I'm so excited! Been playing with it all day, downloading apps, connecting it to our TV, DVR and cable, etc. This is going to be great!

DH also gave me a book on canning, a bottle of dark chocolate Godiva liqueur, a box of Godiva chocolates, and some plates and placemats for my food pr0n photo studio. I gave DH a Garmin GPS, some new cycling gear (shorts, gloves and a chartreuse jacket - he likes to be seen), and a book by Jeopardy champion Ken Jennings called Maphead - perfect for DH since he taught Earth science and GPS classes.

Hope you all are having a wonderful Christmas!

I must've been a very good girl because Mr. Claus, AKA my loving husband, gave me a fantastic 14-cup Cuisinart food processor. I've been chopping and slicing anything that sits still. I love how it works and the multiple work bowls is a brilliant idea. This appliance replaces the one I bought originally in the late '70s that has been limping along valiantly the last year. I only hope the new one lasts as long as "old reliable." Yeah, I will have to use it to prepare two aspects of tonight's meal.

One of the children, no one's fessed up yet, gave us a super Beach Boys CD. I think we've already played it 3 times.

Must be an electric Christmas because we also received a new electric blanket. And, again like the old Cuisinart, the blanket we've been using has been limping along. Not dead yet, but close. I think we'll be glad we have it if the huge snowstorm that's predicted tonight materializes.

Right now we're just relaxing and enjoying the calm and quiet of being together.

Last edited:
I agree, Andy. I don't even like surfing on them as the screen is so small.
And as far as games go... I clicked on Games last night to see what they offered. Everything had a price next to it. You would have thought they would have included a few free games. It doesn't look like it does any more than my smartphone does. And that fits in my pocket.

Oh, to keep this OT, I may just buy myself another Christmas present besides the new sauce pan. My coffee maker is back to brewing terrible coffee again.

So the comments about a tablet not suitable for work with spreadsheets, word processing, etc, are spot on. I have a laptop that docks into larger screens (two screens at work, love the extended desktop) and keyboards at work and at home. I also have a netbook, which also isn't adequate for work.

But I also have a Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet, which I use for reading, surfing. Have both the Kindle App and the Nook App on it. And I love it. I use it constantly at home.

Wifey bought me a Kindle Fire a year ago, I used it for two months and got frustrated with the software wrapper over the Android system that routes everything through Amazon. That's why you aren't finding a lot of free apps.

I ended up giving the Kindle to my 4-year old granddaughter for children's games and bought the Galaxy. WAY more open to the world than the Kindle. Amazon locked the Kindle down pretty tight.

As to games, I am not a big player, but I have a couple of dozen on the Galaxy. All free through (mostly) the Google Apps store.

For me, the most compelling games are Quell and Quell Reflect. Both free. Sort of a maze/puzzle game with really nice serene music. It's fascinating and almost zen-like playing it. The maker is coming out the next iteration of the game in a month or so.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fallentreegames.quell&hl=en

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom