What's been happening in my life (Beth's Story)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you're darn tootin' it's difficult to chime in on this thread. i'm rarely at a loss for words, but the strength, the beauty of your love for each other, the amazing life that you are living has left me completely speechless.

it is what you've shared here that made me realize that we are in the presence of something great. as uncle bob said, it's not some ol' house.

i will say a decade of the rosary on the way home tonight for you and yours, beth. add my heart to all of those here who are with you.

Beth, I hope you realize how much hope you give all of us. We all love you and pray for you both.
cj

Beth, I want you to know that your note to me yesterday was something special. As I have said often you and your DH are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. And I am with BuckyT that it is hard to have words to say in answer to what you are going through and how you are handling it. It is something special indeed and we can all learn by your examples. I am deeply humbled.

kinda an update....we labored for about one week, in mid June, when dh had decided he could not travel any more. He was despondent with that decision. So he decided the trip to New England with his NYC brother was back on. But at literally the last minute, the morning he was to leave, he realized he could not do the trip. So his brother rode here. They ended up doing a two day trip to Elkins, West Virginia that went well. He is sad that he can't tell when he will feel okay to do things, and went he feels crappy and has to cancel plans. He really does not like being unreliable. We have plans to go cemetery crawling in Indiana this coming week that he thinks he can do no matter how he feels. We also plan to visit the Wilbur Wright (we seem to be on a Wright theme:LOL:) homestead and Museum which is close to my ancestral cemeteries, and also take in the historical museum in New Castle. He is getting better at taking the morphine in a timely manner, instead of waiting way too long suffering and struggling to eat. It is really curious how the morphine affects him; it stops the stomach pressure and nausea, and is very short-lived, while having no other side effects; but he takes a tiny dose which he says is unbelievably bitter. And he plans to drive his truck to Nashville in two weeks. Still taking one day at a time and trying to adjust to each new symptom.

Hey Miss Beth....Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about y'all and wondering how things were going. ~~~ So glad the NYC brother made the trip to see dh. I know they had a good ride into West Virginia...Really pretty there. Flew into Huntington a couple of years ago...Drove into eastern Kentucky cemetery crawling for dw family...It was a nice trip...met a lot of super nice people. Crossed over the Ohio river, so I could say I'd been to Ohio!:LOL: ~~~ Sounds like y'all have some fun days planned. Look forward to hearing about them soon! Take care...one day at a time, and stay in touch!!

OK, the latest is that I broke my foot. No biggie, really, except that I'm used to walking almost anywhere under a mile. For two weeks I thought it was nothing, just a sore foot. But my husband didn't know what to think this morning; he didn't like my color or attitudes. So I gave in, and got just what I expected. Broken bone in foot, not much we can do about it. A "shoe" to keep it stiff (basically, as far as I'm concerned, it used to be call a splint). It really is a no big deal except that I'm used to doing a lot of walking, which probably won't happen any time soon. Not happy.

Morning Miss Beth..... Been thinking about y'all and the trip you went on...I know it was a fun time.....My garden is winding down...It's a good thing I suppose...Yesterday we had to look everywhere to find 8 pint jars for "Chili Sauce"...I kicked up this batch with 6 cayenne, and three Jalapenos :ermm:....It has a pretty good "bite" to it and will definitely get your attention!! :LOL: ~~~~~ Anyway, just wanted to say Hi! When ya have time drop us a note...Everyone would love to hear from you!

Morning all,

I see I did not mention my incident of early July:blush:...seems like I passed out coming back to bed one night, in the bathroom. I have no memory of it; it scared the crap out of dh. I had Hospice take my blood pressure and it was around 200/110:huh:.....thinking it may be stress related but the doc is checking out all options. This did not stop us from taking our trip to Indiana, had a great time. This is where we stayed Quaker Hill - Facilities. We ended up having the whole house to ourselves, including the kitchen and dining room. I packed all our food that trip and dh could take his time trying to eat all breakfasts and dinners there. Lunches were a problem, he had great difficulty with them. We spent 3/4ths of one day at the Wilbur Wright museum and were sitting in the car under a shade tree trying to choke down a pancake and he was getting really discouraged, when we heard a funny noise. I spotted a tiny plane zooming around and it turned out to be a family flying several remote controlled airplanes. DH perked up and with pancake in hand, set out to find the remote controllers. They were behind the museum and dh really enjoyed watching them and didn't even notice that he was eating his pancake with no trouble. They even let him fly a trainer, under close supervision, because he about crashed it 12 times:LOL:. Actually we have noticed that distractions can help him eat. We just signed up with Netflix so we can watch movies while he tries to eat. His attitude is still very good. He took a small consulting job this morning because it is lovely outside and he could ride his motorcycle to the job.

I ended up riding with him, in my car, to Nashville to see his Mom and brother, just got back yesterday. He wants to stay close to home for a while. He is feeling a little scattered because he does not have a big home improvement job going at the moment. I am encouraging a shift into the fun mode, rather than work mode. He is getting ready to sell his work truck and is clearing out a storage room to accommodate all the tools and supplies that are in the truck.

Here is one photo of him looking at one of the airplanes, and one of him helping his Mom wash her dog.:)

Attachments

• DSCN2394.jpg
    DSCN2394.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCN2408.jpg
    DSCN2408.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 148
So glad you all had a good trip. It is important to keep making memories like that so you have something besides all the hardships to recall. Hope you figure out your own issues with your blood pressure. You guys certainly don't need any other problems!

DH's symptoms continue to gradually evolve. Eating has proven so difficult that he is eating fewer meals now. He remains stupifyingly cheerful through all this. And I am sure it is for my benefit. He says he has to have a project going to keep him hopeful. He gave me a choice of three projects; replace some rotten boards on the barn, continue interior painting of the house, or take down a dying white ash tree that was leaning over our power line. I chose the tree project. It was tricky, seeing that one of the two trunks was leaning over the line and needed to be felled in the opposite direction of the lean. So a tugging with the tractor was needed, and a few prayers that the wind would cooperate. All fell well. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

• DSCN2420.jpg
    DSCN2420.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN2424.jpg
    DSCN2424.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN2434.jpg
    DSCN2434.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN2444.jpg
    DSCN2444.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 142
Great photos Beth....I admire your bravery too! ~~ Last year I needed to take down a big oak that lightning had struck..Only one way for it to go... through the eye of a needle....As luck would have it the tree wanted to go somewhere else...I was afraid to risk it so I had a tree removal company take it down...It proved a challenge for them, so I'm glad I didn't attempt it by myself....Glad that all went well for y'all!

Now...How is your blood pressure? Are you monitoring it? Been to a Doctor??? What gives??

Now...How is your blood pressure? Are you monitoring it? Been to a Doctor??? What gives??

My blood pressure is still too high. Have had two visits with the doctor, one phone consultation and my next visit is next week. We are working on finding the correct dosage. It has been reduced from the alarming level. I have a nifty machine that takes and records my blood pressure and heart rate and I take all readings to my doctor visits.

Dh has been felling trees annually since 1974. It still makes me nervous to watch.

Good news Beth!!...Happy to hear you've taken the necessary steps to get the blood pressure under control....I take daily medication to keep mine in the normal range...Simple as taking a pill once a day ~~ After the Doctor visit next week give us an update...OK? Take care!

Beth, I too take b/p meds a lot of them. Please be faithful taking them. I'd hate for you to have any more problems. Bravo for taking things in hand.My continued thoughts and prayers.
cj

My blood pressure is still too high. Have had two visits with the doctor, one phone consultation and my next visit is next week. We are working on finding the correct dosage. It has been reduced from the alarming level. I have a nifty machine that takes and records my blood pressure and heart rate and I take all readings to my doctor visits.

My guess is a lot of your blood pressure problems are being exacerbated by the incredible stress you're having. Not saying that to say you don't need to watch it carefully. As we get older our bodies change. We may not like it, but we have to take care of ourselves.

You're such a trooper. Prayers flying your way, as always. :)

lots of people think taking down trees is easy, until you realize how much energy builds up in a single bending branch, let alone the weight of the entire tree.

most of the landscrapers that i've been friends with call tree surgeons "brothers of the bark" because they're a special group unto themselves. very brave and skilled, but a little nuts, lol.

btw, still keeping you and yours in my thoughts and prayers as well, beth. i'll say another decade today. the light of your love is a constant reminder of what's good in the world, so it should never be far from mind.

We have finally had a break in the weather; it has been so hot and humid the past few weeks, which is normal for SE Ohio. So dh is off on a short motorcycle ride this cool morning and plans to be back home in time for our weekly visit from Hospice:wacko:.
He is experiencing more pain and discomfort than before. He only tries to eat about 4 times a day instead of the 6 small meals, and his portions are smaller. And as expected, he is losing weight again. He lays down after most meals now, to settle his stomach. Some days he feels really bad all day.
A dear old friend is flying in from NH for the weekend, and next weekend his brother from TN will be here. This Friday is our 34th wedding anniversary and Sunday is dh's 60th birthday. We didn't have any plans for this weekend, until the upcoming surprise visit from our NH friend.
The firewood project has been completed and he is resting before the next project. He wants to replace the 15 extremely large juniper bushes that shield the house from the road. The township keeps triming the bushes with a side mounted bushhog, which just shreds the bushes and is starting to kill them. It will not be easy getting 25 year old bushes gone. His brother thinks beginning that project is on the docket for his visit next week. I'm hoping for a relaxed weekend.
Here is a photo of our firewood storage.

Attachments

• DSCN2454.jpg
    DSCN2454.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 137
Sending you prayers and good thoughts as always, Beth.

I'll be scarce around here this week as I'm on a road trip up the coast of California from LA to Sonoma, so I'll say Happy Anniversary to you both, and Happy Birthday to DH now....

Cherish these moments. I know you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom