What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get lost in the scenery of movies like that. At the end of this month when I shut off my land line, I am seriously thinking of applying to Netflix. I have never been much of a movie person. But of late, there are so many movies I want to see. Unless there are some shows on TV that really hold my interest, Netflix looks like it will become part of my life. :angel:
We signed up for Netflix (just streaming) and Hulu Plus, and there are so many movies and TV shows available that we hardly watch regular TV anymore.

I get lost in the scenery of movies like that. At the end of this month when I shut off my land line, I am seriously thinking of applying to Netflix. I have never been much of a movie person. But of late, there are so many movies I want to see. Unless there are some shows on TV that really hold my interest, Netflix looks like it will become part of my life. :angel:

Fortunately, TV shows are also available on Netflix. Lots of good BBC series titles show up there. And USA TV, too. I'm finally catching up with Mad Men. I don't get HBO and have seen quite a few good HBO movies there. Only problem is not seeing things immediately and can't discuss the latest with others, if that really is a problem. Not for me -- I don't hang out at a water cooler any more.

We are planning to go out to eat with my step daughter and her BF this evening and go to see a movie. I ain't been to a movie theater in long, long time. I reckon there ain't no way out of it as I ain't in charge of planning. :LOL:

Fortunately, TV shows are also available on Netflix. Lots of good BBC series titles show up there. And USA TV, too. I'm finally catching up with Mad Men. I don't get HBO and have seen quite a few good HBO movies there. Only problem is not seeing things immediately and can't discuss the latest with others, if that really is a problem. Not for me -- I don't hang out at a water cooler any more.

There are so many movies I want to see. I don't go to the movie theaters anymore. Walking up and down the aisles is very hard on my leg. Most theaters have a special place for wheel chairs. I would go with my daughter, but our taste in movies is so opposite. I let her push me when I am in my chair. The last time I went was to see Mama Mia. I saw the stage play twice and have the DVD. I also have the complete musical score. :angel:

We are planning to go out to eat with my step daughter and her BF this evening and go to see a movie. I ain't been to a movie theater in long, long time. I reckon there ain't no way out of it as I ain't in charge of planning. :LOL:
Bring ear plugs. I don't go to regular movie theatres because they run commercials before the movie at a volume that hurts, even with my fingers in my ears. :ohmy:

I watched a DVD this afternoon - I nearly always save my Netflixes for the evening, but this one had arrived cracked twice and when I got the third DVD I couldn't wait any longer. It's "How to Cook Your Life," and it documents a summer of Edward Espe Brown, Zen practitioner and cook. Yet another apparently famous personality I wasn't aware of. He's about 180 degrees from the guy in NYC whose hole-in-the-wall restaurant I mentioned a while back. I may try to take cooking more seriously and less seriously now. It's that kind of film. Intriguing.

"Our Idiot Brother". It was sweet and quirky, no huge laughs, but worth the watch. Sorta like "My Name is Earl".

"Toast." A film based on the memoirs of famous UK chef and cookbook author, Nigel Slater. Starred Freddie Highmore as the youthful Nigel, with Helena Bonham Carter as his unpleasant stepmother. An unhappy story with a happy ending.

We are about 2/3 of the way through the 9-part mini-series "The Winds of War." It is one of my favorite mini-series ever (along with the sequel "War and Remembrance"), and I have been dying to see it again for years. We bought that and "War and Remembrance" a couple months ago on DVD. I had read the books first, and they were excellent!

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. I'll post it here because it is movie related. Years ago, if a show was called a mini-series, it had at least four parts. A movie that lasted two nights was called a 2-part movie, and a movie that lasted three nights was called either a trilogy or a 3-part movie. For the last few years, however, they are now calling 2-part movies "mini-series." I'm sorry, but two parts does not a series make, mini or otherwise!!!

Last edited:
We are about 2/3 of the way through the 9-part mini-series "The Winds of War." It is one of my favorite mini-series ever (along with the sequel "War and Remembrance"), and I have been dying to see it again for years. We bought that and "War and Remembrance" a couple months ago on DVD. I had read the books first, and they were excellent!

This brings up a pet peeve of mine. I'll post it here because it is movie related. Years ago, if a show was called a mini-series, it had at least four parts. A movie that lasted two nights was called a 2-part movie, and a movie that lasted three nights was called either a trilogy or a 3-part movie. For the last few years, however, they are now calling 2-part movies "mini-series." I'm sorry, but two parts does not a series make, mini or otherwise!!!
I have to say my favorite mini series is Centenial. I bought it on DVD a few years ago and I think it's about time to watch it again.

Barbara, we enjoyed both of those. I think we recorded them on vhs when they came on years ago. They'd be a lot better on DVD, I'm sure.

"Toast." A film based on the memoirs of famous UK chef and cookbook author, Nigel Slater. Starred Freddie Highmore as the youthful Nigel, with Helena Bonham Carter as his unpleasant stepmother. An unhappy story with a happy ending.

This one sounds interesting, will look into it, thanks Lizzie :)

Back
Top Bottom