What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can say what DVDs I will be watching in the next few weeks-----almost anything that Philip Seymour Hoffman was in.

CNN reports today:
"Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead of an apparent drug overdose in his Manhattan apartment, law enforcement sources said Sunday."

What an awful loss.

I can say what DVDs I will be watching in the next few weeks-----almost anything that Philip Seymour Hoffman was in.

CNN reports today:
"Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead of an apparent drug overdose in his Manhattan apartment, law enforcement sources said Sunday."

What an awful loss.

:( His Truman Capote was brilliant. A great actor.

Generally speaking, we don't go to the theatre to see movies either, except...if the film is of the type that has some sort of huge eye-appeal. That is, grand scenery or some sort of action that would be enhanced by seeing it on a big screen. Or...a movie like Hugo, which was in 3D, and was fabulous. The effects seen on a non-3D screen would have been soooooo missed. It was one of the best movies I've seen in many, many years and not for the 3D feature, but because it had a lovely story and was very well done.

At the rate we're going we'll never get to the bottom of our Netflix queue.:LOL:

CNN reports today:

What an awful loss.

Obviously he was "In the suck zone" (Dusty: "The Suck Zone". It's the point basically when the twister... sucks you up. That's not the technical term for it, obviously.)

RIP PSH...

I couldn't get into Capote. I've seen both versions of In Cold Blood, but still haven't seen Capote all the way through. Probably because I never saw the fascination with the man. I remember him being on TV a lot when I was little though.

Last night we saw " The secret life of Roger Mitty". I was surprised at how good it was. It was refreshing to see a movie that wasn't predictable. I would recommend this movie

Last night we saw " The secret life of Roger Mitty". I was surprised at how good it was. It was refreshing to see a movie that wasn't predictable. I would recommend this movie

Did you mean ''Walter" Mitty . Netflix didn't have the other one.

Little big Man. Start to finish without interruptions.
I used to think that was a funny movie. Now I think it's a sad movie.

Went to the movies with friends today and saw "Twelve Years a Slave". It certainly will get some Oscars. I'm done with movies about slavery however, I just can't handle the sickening brutality anymore. At least it had a good ending, and the acting was phenomenal!

I love going to the movies, and always have.

Generally speaking, we don't go to the theatre to see movies either, except...if the film is of the type that has some sort of huge eye-appeal. That is, grand scenery or some sort of action that would be enhanced by seeing it on a big screen. Or...a movie like Hugo, which was in 3D, and was fabulous. The effects seen on a non-3D screen would have been soooooo missed. It was one of the best movies I've seen in many, many years and not for the 3D feature, but because it had a lovely story and was very well done.

At the rate we're going we'll never get to the bottom of our Netflix queue.:LOL:
We have a small, independent (ie privately owned) cinema in the village which is quite a rare occurrence these days. The manger stands by the door to welcome customers. There's a chocolate stand in the foyer as there always has been throughout my life and probably before that (presumably for gentlemen to buy a treat for their young ladies - yes, it's that sort of old fashioned establishment). There is no pressure to buy popcorn or Coca Cola and there's a girl comes round in the viewing area selling ice cream from a tray slung round her neck in the interval. It's like stepping back in time going to see a film there. BUT it gets all the latest films at the same time as the big multiplexes in Manchester. Most nights there is a queue down the street and if the film is going well and the manager is having to turn people away he'll keep the film for another week or two.

I'm looking forward to "The Monuments Men" as a friend of my parents was involved in it in real life. The film is wrongly named, off course, as the unit had women members too - I wonder how many "token" women with nothing to do but look decorative there will be in the film - I doubt that the makers of the film will have bothered too much about historical accuracy if they can't get the name of the film right!

Last edited:

I couldn't agree more! Steve and I both loved Hugo at the theater Katie! It would not be nearly as good at home.

We have a small, independent (ie privately owned) cinema in the village which is quite a rare occurrence these days. There's a chocolate stand in the foyer as there always has been throughout my life and probably before that (presumably for gentlemen to buy a treat for their young ladies - yes, it's that sort of old fashioned establishment). There is no pressure to buy popcorn and there's a girl comes round the viewing area selling ice cream from a tray slung round her neck in the interval. It's like stepping back in time going to see a film there. BUT it gets all the latest films at the same time as the big multiplexes in Manchester get them. Most nights there is a queue down the street and if the film is going well and the manager is having to turn people away he'll keep the film for another week or two.

I'm looking forward to "The Monuments Men".

I also enjoy our little movie house although it's not as charming as yours, it still has that "home town feel", and on Wed. afternoon there's a special for seniors at 3.00 a ticket. The audience is a sea of "silver hair". ;)
That's where we went today.
I also am looking forward to "The Monuments Men"....!

I can understand why it can be considered sad. But the funniest line in quite a while (and I still use it when appropriate, or not) is:

"[Grandfather, who has laid himself down to die, wakes up]
Old Lodge Skins: Am I still in this world?
Jack Crabb: Yes, Grandfather.
Old Lodge Skins: [groans] I was afraid of that. Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes, it doesn't."

I think it's time for me to watch it again. Thanks for the reminder.

I can understand why it can be considered sad. But the funniest line in quite a while (and I still use it when appropriate, or not) is:

"[Grandfather, who has laid himself down to die, wakes up]
Old Lodge Skins: Am I still in this world?
Jack Crabb: Yes, Grandfather.
Old Lodge Skins: [groans] I was afraid of that. Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes, it doesn't."

I think it's time for me to watch it again. Thanks for the reminder.

Maybe if it hadn't started raining the magic would have worked :LOL:

One of my favorite movies.

Amazing range of time and the aging of "Little Big Man" was so skillfully done. At the time, it was deemed to be the longest age span of a character. Maybe still is.

I've seen it numerous times and still get almost uncontrollably angry when Sunshine is murdered.

I also loved Old Lodge Skins. He was a dear, sweet, wise old man.

Amazing film. Showed Hoffman's talents very early on.

Last edited:
The aging thing is pretty cool.
This time what stood out was how boyish they made him look when he was a young brave. Not just the camera angles making him look short(er), but his face looked like he really was 12 or so.

Which reminds me, I wanted to look up and see if the reporter was also the old man (wife's father) in that Billy Crystal movie Forget Paris. The one that kept singing the Toyota commercial.

Finally got to the theatre and saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Still not all that impressed, but was happy to see Tauriel. Purrrrrrrrr...

Back
Top Bottom