What's the last movie you watched?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ross, I started the book, and just couldn't get into it although the subject really interested me.

I just finished the very well done Netflix movie and I can't imagine that the book could have been better. The story and acting, not to mention the stunning visual scenery were all remarkable.
Thanks for the tip...time well spent.
Glad you enjoyed it, Kayelle.. We certainly did.. :)
Ross

I had read a cute column by Lee Smith in my current copy of "Southern Living". It was about her family's vacation in Key West when the Cary Grant movie "Operation Petticoat" was being filmed. Cute article. If you're interested, the article (and a slide show video narrated by someone who sounds too young to be Lee Smith) is linked here: Memories of my Summer of 1958 in Paradise Anyway, her column mentioned that the family was in the closing scene, and I was curious. Himself said that he had seen the movie at least 5 or 6 times, but he'd be game to watch it again. The disc I got from the library was a four-movie package deal. We watched "Operation Petticoat" Saturday night, and "That Touch of Mink" on Sunday. I guess I'm not cut out for these old movies - I must have dozed off for quick naps just enough to miss parts of the movies. :LOL: Still they were cute. If Himself is interested in the other two movies, however, he's on his own. I have baseball the next three nights.

That's a great story, but I cringed every time the Kardashian-accented Millennial said "Key Wast" and mispronounced Conch.

I love to watch movies with Key West in them. I'm guessing I'm going to have to watch Operation Petticoat now.

We watched Lady Bird the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Much more than we expected. I'm a big Laurie Metcalf fan and she didn't disappoint.

That's a great story, but I cringed every time the Kardashian-accented Millennial said "Key Wast" and mispronounced Conch.

I love to watch movies with Key West in them. I'm guessing I'm going to have to watch Operation Petticoat now.

We watched Lady Bird the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Much more than we expected. I'm a big Laurie Metcalf fan and she didn't disappoint.

I cringe just hearing the name Kardashian. A no talent family that became famous selling sex.

"The Sea Shall Not Have Them" on TV this afternoon. (I should have been doing housework but needed a cup of tea and turned on the television just for 5 mins and got hooked!)

In the North Sea in 1944, passengers of a downed RAF transport aircraft talk about their lives while awaiting rescue in their dinghy. ... Michael Redgrave, Dirk Bogarde, Anthony Steel. Made in B&W in 1954 in black & white. Plenty of stiff upper lip and Bonnar Colleano, an American actor who made a lot of British films. He played a Canadian in the RAF. (Probably slipped in in order to try and sell the film to the US).

Not as bad as it sounds if you are used to watching British war films of the 1950s.

"The Sea Shall Not Have Them" on TV this afternoon. (I should have been doing housework but needed a cup of tea and turned on the television just for 5 mins and got hooked!)...
This sounds similar to how my Mom got interested in a soap opera, "Guiding Light". She would prep dinner ingredients, put the meat into the oven just before 4:00 most nights (so we could eat at six, or 6:30 if Dad was running late), and sit down in the living room to watch The 4:00 o'clock movie. Slowly but surely, she'd end up having supper work done a bit sooner, so she'd take her coffee cup into the living room to "settle in". Before we knew it, Mom was making sure she could get into the living room by three to watch her soap. :LOL: Before we knew it, Mom had a little TV in the kitchen so she didn't miss "the news"...or her shows that came before it.

CG....What a blast from the past! :LOL: My mom used to tell me stories of sitting around the kitchen table with my grandma in the '40s, listening to 'their story" (The Guiding Light) on the radio. It was only on for 15 minutes back then. :)

Last edited:
I just watched Isle of Dogs. WOW, what a movie. But, warnings are in order.

First, this is a Wes Anderson movie so it is really out there.

Second, it is animated, but do NOT let your young kids or grandkids watch this, unless you want them to have nightmares. Like I said, this is a Wes Anderson movie. You need to be at least in High School to understand and appreciate this movie.

I loved it, but I have to warn you that it is a very dark movie, although it has a very good message under the darkness. Dog people, like me, will like the underlying message, if they can handle the up-front part of the movie. Dogs are absolutely the heroes.

Very well written, and very well produced, but like I already said, you need to be able to deal with darkness... and be able to watch the entire movie. If you turn it off after the first fifteen minutes, you won't get the payoff.

CD

:huh: Kardashian? :ermm: Was there a remake of the old movie that I'm (gratefully) unaware of? The movie we watched was filmed in 1958 and starred Cary Grant and Tony Curtis. Millenials weren't even a twinkle in their parents eyes yet because most of the Baby Boomers didn't have drivers' licenses. :LOL:

I'm well aware of what movie you watched. I was talking about the story. The Southern Living memoir about 1958 narrated by someone who sounds too young to be Lee Smith. Vapid, annoying accent with horrible pronunciation. I can't believe Southern Living would even *allow* someone to mispronounce Conch.

Got it now, phinz! I didn't really listen to the narrator, except for about 15 seconds of "that's enough of that". I had read the story - twice - in my SL magazine, and found the full column online. When I started the video and found out it was just a reading of the story, I hit "stop". But, yes, what little I heard was "meh". Didn't get to hear "conch", though. Lucky me. :cool:

I just watched Isle of Dogs. WOW, what a movie. But, warnings are in order.

First, this is a Wes Anderson movie so it is really out there.

Second, it is animated, but do NOT let your young kids or grandkids watch this, unless you want them to have nightmares. Like I said, this is a Wes Anderson movie. You need to be at least in High School to understand and appreciate this movie.

I loved it, but I have to warn you that it is a very dark movie, although it has a very good message under the darkness. Dog people, like me, will like the underlying message, if they can handle the up-front part of the movie. Dogs are absolutely the heroes.

Very well written, and very well produced, but like I already said, you need to be able to deal with darkness... and be able to watch the entire movie. If you turn it off after the first fifteen minutes, you won't get the payoff.

CD

I love Isle of Dogs. Once I figured out the premise I was spell bound. Was not sure my parents would like it, but they did. Wonderful movie.

Flag of Our Fathers....

Hey I am a baby boomer...I have a lot respect for "The Greatest Generation!
My father was at Iwo Jima...
My Dad was with RAOC when he was first "called up" and then, he was transferred to R.E.M.E. when that was founded and was in North Africa. He'd volunteered for the Navy but his eyesight wasn't up to scratch and he wore glasses so they wouldn't take him. Give the rate at which ships were being sunk at that stage I think he was lucky.

One of my Uncles - the quietest and gentlest of my mother's 3 brothers - was with the Royal Marine Commandos in Burma. 'Nuff said, I think. Neither Dad nor he ever talked about their wartime experiences until my Uncle was dying and he felt the need to pour it all out to his daughter. Common, I think to those who have seen and done terrible things. According to my mother my uncle was never the same again after his experiences.

This sounds similar to how my Mom got interested in a soap opera, "Guiding Light". She would prep dinner ingredients, put the meat into the oven just before 4:00 most nights (so we could eat at six, or 6:30 if Dad was running late), and sit down in the living room to watch The 4:00 o'clock movie. Slowly but surely, she'd end up having supper work done a bit sooner, so she'd take her coffee cup into the living room to "settle in". Before we knew it, Mom was making sure she could get into the living room by three to watch her soap. :LOL: Before we knew it, Mom had a little TV in the kitchen so she didn't miss "the news"...or her shows that came before it.

This sounds like both of my grandmothers. They even had TV's in their kitchens so they could watch GL while doing kitchen chores.

I love Isle of Dogs. Once I figured out the premise I was spell bound. Was not sure my parents would like it, but they did. Wonderful movie.

Yeah, I was a bit, well, more than a bit surprised at first. But, I was also glued to the screen. I'm glad I rented it.

In a world where most movies are just another version of something you have seen before, Isle of Dogs was definitely something different.

The voice talent was over the top... Brian Cranston, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum, Scarlett Johansson, Harvey Keitel.. what a cast for an animated movie.

I know for sure that my mom would not like it, and my dad doesn't watch movies -- that's not work, and he lives to work. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt__kig8PVU&t=23s

CD

Last edited:
I was positive Mom would not like it, even suggested Dad watch it when she was out or asleep. Mom: "What made you think I would not like this movie?" Me: "Well, you are Mom..." Completely floored me, or maybe she watched it to spite me and ended up liking it. Dad: "Where do you find this stuff?" Me: "I watch previews." The only thing that Dad won't watch is Harry Potter and Marvel Comic movies. I keep telling him he's missing out on good stories.

I was positive Mom would not like it, even suggested Dad watch it when she was out or asleep. Mom: "What made you think I would not like this movie?" Me: "Well, you are Mom..." Completely floored me, or maybe she watched it to spite me and ended up liking it. Dad: "Where do you find this stuff?" Me: "I watch previews." The only thing that Dad won't watch is Harry Potter and Marvel Comic movies. I keep telling him he's missing out on good stories.

My mom won't watch Harry Potter movies, because she thinks they are teaching children to become witches, or satanists, or whatever she imagines will happen.

I love Harry Potter movies. They are well written fiction. As a kid, I didn't think the Wizzard of Oz was real, and I'm pretty sure that kids don't think that Harry Potter movies are real.

I need to stock up on Jason Bourne movies to watch with my dad. That is the only kind of movie he can sit through. That, and I need to get him hooked up with James Bond movies. :cool:

Bond... James Bond. One of the coolest movie lines EVER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXxKZkE2MGo

CD

Last edited:
My mom won't watch Harry Potter movies, because she thinks they are teaching children to become witches, or satanists, or whatever she imagines will happen.

Oh good lord we dealt with this uninformed opinion when we owned our book store during the era that the Harry Potter books were first released. Here in the buckle it's quite popular for pastors to tell their flock what they should and shouldn't read, even if they haven't read it themselves. :rolleyes:

Last night we watched Star Trek: The Original Series episode 22 from Season 1, and then watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. I miss Ricardo Montalban. He was such an icon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHOM4fPZiDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcEHM8GFSwM

On the "I can't wait for it to hit the screen" front (and funnily enough, it has a Captain Kirk actor in it too), the Outlaw King looks like it's going to be really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-G1BME8FKw

Not in the mood for any of the series we follow, we checked out Netflix movies..

Came across Cold Mountain (2003) which I had passed on a few times..

Pleasantly surprised with both the quality of the cast and movie.. Glad we watched it..

Ross

Back
Top Bottom