"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #5951
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
from the Netflix library: 'The Gathering Storm' - an up-close and personal look at Winston Churchill during the period of 1935-1939. Great portrayal by Albert Finney with Vanessa Redgrave as his Clementine. For the first time I replayed it with the makers' remarks -- found out that the red line behind which the opposition must stay in Parliament is the origin of the expression 'toe-ing the line.'
I love those parts of the DVDs, I spend a day watching the ones on the movies we have watched. Shrek doesn't like them, so he watches football and I get to watch the DVD additions.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #5952
Master Chef

No movies for RF for a couple of weeks due to the nightly Olympic coverage.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #5953
Chef Extraordinaire

Lilyhammer (the series) has me hooked. I didn't realize I didn't have the subtitles on for the 7th show of the 2nd season until the main character was speaking English...up until then, the characters were all speaking Norwegian and I was able to catch the gist...
Old 02-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #5954
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Lilyhammer (the series) has me hooked. I didn't realize I didn't have the subtitles on for the 7th show of the 2nd season until the main character was speaking English...up until then, the characters were all speaking Norwegian and I was able to catch the gist...
I tried watching Lillyhammer but the lack of closed captioning or SDH kept me from continuing.

There's a difference between Closed Captioning (or SDH) and subtitles, as you noticed above. I've finally learned to be suspicious of DVDs that say they have subtitles.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:36 PM   #5955
Head Chef

Sheesh------ Now I get to prove I'm a liar!
After just saying that subtitles aren't the same as CC (which they aren't, usually) I was at Netflix and looking at at the discs available for the third year in a series (that I KNOW had CC because I've watched the previous two years) I find this:

"Subtitles
English, French, Spanish (Neutral), Portuguese (Brazilian)"

Thank you, Netflix. Not.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #5956
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I tried watching Lillyhammer but the lack of closed captioning or SDH kept me from continuing.

There's a difference between Closed Captioning (or SDH) and subtitles, as you noticed above. I've finally learned to be suspicious of DVDs that say they have subtitles.
The subtitles are a separate file so when viewing, one has to make sure to load the correct subtitle file and make sure the subtitles are turned on. When I watch on my computer, I use VLS as my media player. Another series that has me hooked is Broen (The Bridge). This one is set in Denmark and Sweden and has a riveting story line and excellent characters. I also enjoy the Varg Veum series.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #5957
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The subtitles are a separate file so when viewing, one has to make sure to load the correct subtitle file and make sure the subtitles are turned on. When I watch on my computer, I use VLS as my media player. Another series that has me hooked is Broen (The Bridge). This one is set in Denmark and Sweden and has a riveting story line and excellent characters. I also enjoy the Varg Veum series.
I have my TV set to always play CC since I need that for all shows. I'm not deaf but what they called hearing impaired meaning that even with hearing aids I have a hard time distinguishing words---- esp. on the newer movies where there's so much ambient noise (music etc) that it's hard. The old movies (classics) don't give as much problem since the actors spoke clearly and didn't mutter as much.

I'm looking into buying an All Regions DVD player. Many of the foreign movies aren't made for Region 1 (the U.S. mostly). I'm missing all the older Inspector Morse DVDs because of that and also some of the Nordic mysteries that I love.

But my library received a very large collection of DVDs with SDH or CC and because of that I can reserve some of the Nordic mysteries that Netflix doesn't have. (Some kind philanthropist donated that collection several years ago. The only downside is that there's often a very long waiting time for them, but that's o.k.)

I was able to watch Varg Veum because of that.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #5958
Head Chef

@CWS4322

I'm interested in the VLS you mentioned. Google keeps referring me to VLC when I type that in. Did you mis-type or is Google playing games?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #5959
Chef Extraordinaire

I downloaded it from VLC--I thought it was VLS. If you can get your hands on Kitchen Stories it is quite good.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #5960
Executive Chef

Cave, I am also hearing impaired. I require the tv sound up a few clicks more than DH does. It annoys him. It also annoys my son who comes to our house and yells that the TV is up so loud he could hear it out in the driveway. He seems to forget his teen years when he used to play his stereo so loud in his room, with the door closed, that we couldn't hear the TV in the living room. I guess that was different.

I used to use CC, but that also annoys DH, so that stopped.