What's your ethnic heritage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'd learned from my norwegian relatives that you could tell if a person was swedish or norwegian by the way "son" was spelled on the end of their surname.

"sen" was norwegian, "son" was swedish.

Danes use "sen" as well. Swedes usually have an "s" in front of the "son". E.g., Danish: Larsen; Swedish: Larsson.

Just plain "son" is often English, e.g., Johnson, Peterson.

My mother(alive) is Austro/Hungarian, my father(dead) was Polish.
Claire I drive around Slovenia on the way to Croatia,the people and country are great.The pig is king and there are still plenty of cafe's that roast them like this beside the road:)View attachment 12810
Before I read the post, I thought "no, Bolas has not posted a pic of one of his relatives on a spit!":LOL:

Claire I drive around Slovenia on the way to Croatia,the people and country are great.The pig is king and there are still plenty of cafe's that roast them like this beside the road:)View attachment 12810

It has been almost two decades since we went to Slovenia, and boy are you right about the pig back then. As a general rule, we're pretty much OK with places where you go (called different places in different countries, but pretty much unknown in the U.S.) and you simply eat what they serve. Delicious meals every time. But we hit a spa town, I think Dolnska Toplice (don't quote me, I don't feel like going back and forth between web sites to make sure I have it right), and soon realized our "spa" included meals were going to be more pork, after a week of pork, pork, and more. It was delicious, but we were ready for lighter fare and were surprised this was considered "spa" fare! So we went back to our hotel/inn/resort/spa, and opted out of the "meals included" for the rest of our stay. It was wonderful, all around. At that time no one besides college students spoke any English, and we were getting by on the few words of French, German, and Russian we had between us (it worked, with a lot of good-will on all sides!). Instead of the meals we would have normally eaten, we went to grocery stores and bought bread, cheese, and cured meats (probably pork as well!) so we could eat a little lighter! Picnicked out in fields or in our room and went out for a pizza (yeah, I'm sure with more pork!). It was great fun.

Many years ago when the kids were still in grade school and studying geography, I purchased a Readers Digest Atlas of all the countries of the world. The real neat thing about it was every town, country, river, byway, etc, had three labels. The original in the native language with the native spelling. Underneath, the native phonetic pronouncement in English, and then the American name. The kids poured over that book. They were fascinated with languages that didn't use the Arabic alphabet. I sometime I wish I still had that book. :chef:

claire, your life sounds so much like my own sister's life, oddly enough also named claire (same spelling, too). she married a west point cadet back in 1980, and ended up travelling the world with him to his assignments.(there's a term for it but i can't remember)
he just retired a full bird colonel after 30+ years, the past 7 years in the horn of africa, iraq, and afghanistan. that was enough. if he stuck it out, he would have made general, but war is hell as the expression goes.

i've always been quite envious of her world travels.

for some reason that picture disturbs me. guess i don't want my pork to look like the animal. :rolleyes:

claire, your life sounds so much like my own sister's life, oddly enough also named claire (same spelling, too). she married a west point cadet back in 1980, and ended up travelling the world with him to his assignments.(there's a term for it but i can't remember)
he just retired a full bird colonel after 30+ years, the past 7 years in the horn of africa, iraq, and afghanistan. that was enough. if he stuck it out, he would have made general, but war is hell as the expression goes.

i've always been quite envious of her world travels.

Military wife, and military brat (child of a military person, no reflection on the child's behavior. If anything, my teacher friends tell me they vastly prefer a classroom of military brats.). And, yes, I'm both, plus a veteran myself. You either love it or hate it. In my case, I always felt sorry for my cousins who never strayed further than a few miles from where they were born. My sisters, though, were appalled when I chose to marry an Army officer. "You didn't get enough of that **** when we were growing up?" Well, I got Hawaii, Virginia, and DC and I love all of those places. My husband's name was to be put forward for full bird, but he declined to be considered and retired. He said his war was the cold war, and he won, time to retire.

Last edited:
I hope all of you know that the Church of Lattter Day Saints (Mormons) in Salt Lake City has family records and archives going back a number of centuries. Researching is free if you wish to trace your family. And there is also your States records of births, deaths, marrieges and divorce. These records are public and also free. :chef:

I'm just doing this to move it up. When I was in junior high, I was told that they started these records because of the early polygamous marriages, to insure that no one inadvertently married someone who was too closely related. Whatever the reason, anyone who's into geneology makes this a must-do. I don't know about other places, but even in our small town, you can go to the basement of the library and find help in geneological research.

My family names are so common in old Quebec as to make it suspect when anyone comes up with a family history beyond what we know from memory. You could go to Louisiana and make up yet another whole family history using the same names.

latvian - 100% on both my mother's and father's side. of course, latvia itself was conquered and occupied repeatedly by germany and russia, crisscrossing the small baltic nation at will, back and forth, over the course of a millenium or more....

Once, when my husband was stationed in Hawaii, I came across a woman with an accent I couldn't identify. Military wives run the gamut of countries. I asked her. This was in the 80s. "My country no longer exists." I racked my brains and for some reason came up with Lithuania and Latvia. I guessed the latter and she was thrilled that I got it right!

Once, when my husband was stationed in Hawaii, I came across a woman with an accent I couldn't identify. Military wives run the gamut of countries. I asked her. This was in the 80s. "My country no longer exists." I racked my brains and for some reason came up with Lithuania and Latvia. I guessed the latter and she was thrilled that I got it right!

yes, latvia was occupied by russia during the cold war, after ww2. as of 1990, latvia, lithuania and estonia are independent and free nations once again!

very few people would have been able to come up with this lady's nation of origin, as you did, claire!:) latvia is a tiny country, about the size of new jersey, with a population of only about two million people. you made that lady's day for sure, claire, by your recognition. and today you made mine....:)

latvia is a tiny country, about the size of new jersey, with a population of only about two million people.

do latvian women have big hair, get in fist fights at beach bars, and pay tolls every mile on highways?

ahhh, home sweet home.

Back
Top Bottom