When it comes tax time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to figure out what is needed to file this year since Shrek is not able to sign the paperwork. Any ideas/advice from you tax filing fiends out there? (that is not a spelling error...I hate doing taxes)

I'm almost positive that you can still file 'married and jointly' the calendar year of the death of a spouse, sign your name where he would have signed, and then write 'deceased'.

I'm pretty sure that's the info my mom and I were told when my father passed away. I don't remember whether or not we had to supply a death cert.

Maybe Souschef will be along soon to answer, he knows this stuff inside and out.

Last edited:
Thanks, Cheryl. Mostly I need to know so I can get my taxes filed this week, but if I have to wait for the death cert...wait to make the appointment when I have it in hand.

I found this, it doesn't mention the need for a death cert, this may be helpful info:

https://www.taxact.com/support/742/2016/death-of-taxpayer-prior-to-filing-return

"....If a taxpayer died before filing a return for 2016, the taxpayer's spouse or personal representative may have to file and sign a return for that taxpayer. A personal representative can be an executor, administrator, or anyone who is in charge of the deceased taxpayer's property. If the deceased taxpayer did not have to file a return but had tax withheld, a return must be filed to get a refund. The person who files the return must enter "Deceased," the deceased taxpayer's name, and the date of death across the top of the return. If this information is not provided, it may delay the processing of the return....."

Last edited:
I used to do my own before I purchased a condominium. I got somewhat confused, so I went to H&R Block. Wow, what a mistake that was. They hire wet behind the ear CPA's or worse. I was assured that I qualified for the Obama stimulus package. They charged me $400 and when I went to collect the stimulus package money, I was told I missed the cutoff amount. Thanks for nothing H&R Block.

Their staff are not typically CPAs. My mom did the bookkeeping for her own company for over 20 years; after she sold it and retired, she decided to do some work part-time for H&R Block and went through their training program. After that, she refused to work for them because she didn't like their business model.

When using these softwares, as soon as you log on they look for the latest updates for any changes in the tax law. So basically, you're up to date as far as any changes go at the time of your filing.

When using these softwares, as soon as you log on they look for the latest updates for any changes in the tax law. So basically, you're up to date as far as any changes go at the time of your filing.

We've been using Turbo Tax for many years as well. It definitely makes filing easier.

I found this, it doesn't mention the need for a death cert, this may be helpful info:

https://www.taxact.com/support/742/2016/death-of-taxpayer-prior-to-filing-return

"....If a taxpayer died before filing a return for 2016, the taxpayer's spouse or personal representative may have to file and sign a return for that taxpayer. A personal representative can be an executor, administrator, or anyone who is in charge of the deceased taxpayer's property. If the deceased taxpayer did not have to file a return but had tax withheld, a return must be filed to get a refund. The person who files the return must enter "Deceased," the deceased taxpayer's name, and the date of death across the top of the return. If this information is not provided, it may delay the processing of the return....."

Thank you Cheryl! My Google brain is not working right now.:wacko: I appreciate the advice.

The IRS has a help line you can call.

Thanks, Andy. I completely forgot about the Help Line.

If you file electronically (E-File) there is no hand-signing.
Are you using a tax software like TurboTax?

No, I will be going to H&R Block as I have in the last 8 years, I have never had a problem with them. In fact they have saved me large amounts of money in the past. Definitely worth the fees I paid.

I was just asking, so I could get there with all the information needed, without having to run around for documents.

Back
Top Bottom