"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Will you participate in the Virtual Golden Chef Cookoff?
As a chef, Yes 7 43.75%
As A Chef, No 0 0%
As a Judge, Yes 5 31.25%
As a Judge, No 0 0%
As a chef in the future, Yes 2 12.50%
As a chef in the future, No 0 0%
As a Judge in the future, Yes 1 6.25%
As a Judge in the future, No 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #101
Hospitality Queen

(I believe I need to be a judge here, so here I am in my judge's seat, pretending to be seated next to Ted and Jeffrey, with Alton nearby)

Goodweed, your presentation was lovely.
The recipes were very well written, and after reading them thoroughly, I could almost taste them. Then, with your critique, I got quite a sense of your finished product.
The pork soup sounds very interesting, as I can say I've never put oats into a soup before. But, with the feel of barley, I am quite intrigued. The zuchinni: grinding down the oats is a very good idea indeed. You didn't put your ranch sour cream in your original cash register receipt, but I'm sure it more than made up for your accounting of a whole brick of tofu, when you only used 1/2. (See, I was paying attention!)
The cherry sauce sounds interesting, but I must say I'm not sure clove would have been my first choice either. It has a way of interfering with the smoother, mellower flavor of cinnamon. However, I like that you added the rice vinegar to it.
The no-bake cookies: I like the idea, but I'm not going to critique them yet. Tomorrow I will make a batch of the chocolate and see how they come out.
( I want to see how much of an oat flavor I can taste)

All in all, very well done my friend. Your photos were very impressive.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #102
Sous Chef

Well the sun is supposed to shine all weekend. The people I used to work for were paying for a storage unit for all of our stuff when we were told to move out of the residence so they could demo it and rebuild it. Well it seems that 2 weeks before they sacked me they quit paying for it.

That means that this weekend we'll be moving all of our stuff into a much cheaper storage unit - that's a 10 x 30 and an 8 by 10 all into a 12 x 60 container. With no one else around to help it'll just be us - I'm not seeing any cooking in my life this weekend at all! I had some fun stuff in mind - but I'm going to have to bow out of this one. It'll be take out this weekend.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #103
Master Chef

Harborwitch; Isn't it just lousy the way other people can mess up your life? I hate that through no fault of our own, others can put major stop signs in front of our plans. I hope you find a much better job than the last one, and are truly successfull in your own right. Maybe it's time to set up your own business. I hope you weather the storm well.

And anyone else who was going to participate, feel free to jump right in. I certainly don't want to win by default. I want to win fair and square.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:19 PM   #104
Sous Chef

Thank you GW! I am taking this time to re-think the next portion of this journey I'm on. It's time to consider what I really want to do - and I think you're right; it may be time to go back out on my own. I'm also giving a lot of thought to culinary school! There's a very good program at a nearby college and I'm really giving it a lot of thought! A dear friend told me I had to do it before I was 60 - that gives me a year and a half! Hustle Hustle Hustle!!!!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:22 PM   #105
Hospitality Queen

Harborwitch, that's awesome! We're behind you 100%!

Goodweed, I'm afraid I'm going to have to postpone the chocolate/oat cookie making for the weekend - the grocery store was out of coconut! However, there's another market I can go to on the weekend.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:35 AM   #106
Head Chef

Harborwitch, what a dreadful situation. I hope everything turns out for the best.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:06 AM   #107
Sous Chef

We discussed it last night - this month the goal is to find a house to move into with Sarah (the delightful young lady who replaced me) and her son. Then I'm going to start my ADA suit against these creeps!

I don't look at this as a trajedy - it's just an opportunity to move on to the next phase of my life! It's a blessing, really.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:00 PM   #108
Master Chef

It's almost 8:00 Easter Daylight Savings time. Only four more hours to go. I hope I'm really not the only contestant to actually submit something. C'mon people. It's not to late. Give it a shot. It was a lot of fun for me and my son.

You can even use my recipes and ideas. We'll see who's comes out better. It only takes a couple of hours out of your life.

Two people bowed out due to unforseen circumstances. But that still leaves five, including myself. And my entry is posted.

I need Competitionnnnnnnnn!

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 03-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #109
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Oh wow! Goodweed, it all looks wonderful!!
I'm going to look at the recipes and such this afternoon.

Anyone else going to play?
Old 11-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #110
Master Chef

Just revisited this thread. No one ever took up the challenge. So, I'm offering it again. Anyone who wants to try can take on my original challenge, or, we can start with a new theme ingredient. Anybody up for this?

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North