"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Out of curiosity, is there any cell phones ringing or cordless phones in the house near the wireless router OR better yet, a microwave?
Nope, nope and nope. The modem and router sit close together in a bookcase on the second floor balcony that overlooks the 'Great Room' (right behind the ceiling fan in this picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living Room 2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	4854  

Old 08-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #22
Head Chef

Oh ok good because the frequencies from either of those objects will cause interference.

we did it as a lab setup in our wireless networking class.

The router probably has a short in it caused by old age and or moisture in the air and or being dropped kicked across the room.

if you can afford a new one go and try that and if there are still the same problems then we need to figure out what is really going on.

Possibly could be the antennas in the laptops/PC's

Old 08-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #23
Head Chef

We have three notebooks... so I don't think they'd all be affected at the same time. I use mine at work, where it works fine. I don't think it's our computers.

I don't remember drop kicking the router (but it has crossed my mind) and humidity is pretty much a non issue here in Vegas. We have noticed that our connection seems to be more stable in the morning and wondered if it could be a HEAT issue as it seems to destabilize as the day gets a little warmer.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z View Post
We have three notebooks... so I don't think they'd all be affected at the same time. I use mine at work, where it works fine. I don't think it's our computers.

I don't remember drop kicking the router (but it has crossed my mind) and humidity is pretty much a non issue here in Vegas. We have noticed that our connection seems to be more stable in the morning and wondered if it could be a HEAT issue as it seems to destabilize as the day gets a little warmer.
nah, im not to worried about the heat as it is inside rather than out. Hmm, something around your house such as a business may have something new that is interfering with it since you say this is a issue that has only been happening a short time.

almost sounds like something is causing interference but what. YT, if he is still at these forums may be able to answer if heat causes degradation of RF waves.

How hot is it in your house near the router?
Is your wireless secure?

install netstumbler and see how many wireless networks are around you?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #25
Head Chef

I didn't think it was the heat, either. We like to keep the house warm, but I don't think it would be enough to effect the router. We keep the house at a fairly constant 87-88 degrees F.

Our wireless network is encrypted and password protected.

I'm reluctant to install another program to view wireless networks... isn't that what the Wireless Network Connection window does?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #26
Senior Cook

LT you seem to be on the ball with this one. I was just wondering if setting static IPs on all the computers would fix the issue. I have 3 wireless computers and the printer (set wireless as well) all set with static IPs on a secure network. Havent had any problems ever. I dont think this would be a problem but maybe the DHCPs are conflciting.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Since we are on the subject. How do I configure my wireless so my neighbor can get on but no one else can. I'm thinking someone else is getting on that I don't know about although not sure.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i can do it from 12 miles away with this antenna i made.

LT, if I built one of these would it help me get better (read any) cell phone reception in a house with a metal roof? OMG, if your antenna would fix that issue, I'd sew you 50 flags!!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #29
Executive Chef

LT we want instuctions. Pretty please with a cherry on top.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #30
Executive Chef

There are complete instructions on LT's website, JP - the link is on his sig line. He's even included pictures of each step! I'm just wondering if it can be adapted to improve cell phone reception in my house with the metal roof. But hey, it might be just the thing for your situation!