"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Thumbs down YIKES! we have critters living in our house!

ANYONE ELSE HAVE MICE OR RATS OR HOUSE MOUSE'S'?

If so, how do you rid your home of them? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We've done the traps with peanut butter, not even be approached by the critters. Heard them this morning in the attic above our BR and it woke me up. I see signs that they're here, droppings etc.

Online, people advertise that they can help if you just buy their book. Supposedly they'll tell you everything your exterminator won't but does do when you hire him. Exterminators are mucho expensive. Should I buy a cat and keep it in the attic? (kidding) Should we put poison up there in the attic? One thing I have read. They won't leave on their own.

HELP!

Old 10-26-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Master Chef

Oh how I detest those little critters. Keep in mind if you put out poison that the critters could get into your walls and die there and then you'll have to remove sections of the walls to find them. I had one die in the wall of our old house and let me tell you thats not a smell you'll ever forget. I had to remove a large section of wainscoating and trim to get the lil bugger out.

I'd set out countless metal traps. Or they even have those sticky kind. Place them in all areas where you find droppings and anywhere else you think you should. I found that they love granola bars....go figure. If all else fails then call Terminex or another reputable exterminator and they can bring out their own bag of tricks

Old 10-26-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

We know some folks who bought electronic devices that plug into an electrical outlet. They emit a sound that is silent to humans and drives rodents away. They claim it works great.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Executive Chef

You should be able to tell by the size of the poop whether you are dealing with mice or rats. Put the traps where the poop is. I have excellent results with peanut butter on mouse traps. Rats are a bit more difficult. That takes actually corraling the guy(s).

Be kind to your snake population, i.e, do not kill your snakes, unless they are poisonous snakes.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:32 AM   #5
Head Chef

We had a "pack rat" once years ago....now that was something! He took all my jewelry out of my jewelry box and put it in his nest. Every night he would steal the bar of soap out of the bathroom! We found it all when we located his nest.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
Master Chef

When the kids were little, we lived in an old house where the mice literally ran up and down the walls. I put traps everywhere, and caught lots of mice, but they kept coming in. So then, I went around the house and stuffed steel wool into all the little holes and crannies (like under the sink and in the laundry room) where the mice could come in.
Thing being, we had a space under the back door big enough for them to get under. (You'd be amazed at how the little critters can flatten out!)

I finally got a cat. She killed a few, but just having her around seemed to run them off. If you do get a cat, make sure it's a female. Males are usually poor mousers.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I have them visit me every fall when the weather starts getting cold. I find that they like granola bars much better than peanut butter or cheese. I put out traps wherever I find the droppings and they are all caught in a few days.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Put the traps along side of the walls since they tend to travel where they feel more protected. We used to get 2-3/yr once it started getting cold and our house backed up to the woods.

We had a 4# Poodle and a 100 # Lab. The poodle's food kept disappearing and the lab had never ever been interested in her bowl. He was scared of her, too.

We needed some plumbing work and they took off a couple of sheets of the insulation in the basement to check the pipes. 20 pounds (at least) of poodle food fell on their heads. Those little varmits had set themselves up for the whole winter.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:29 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
If all else fails then call Terminex or another reputable exterminator and they can bring out their own bag of tricks
I hope I'm not breaking any rules by saying this, but...
My daughter worked for Terminex for 10 years. The company flagrantly discrimates against women. She was not allowed to train for or apply for certain higher paying positions because they were "men's jobs". They prefer to hire new help rather than letting their female employees advance, and she was finally harrassed into quitting. And I do mean harrassed...she came home night after night in tears. She's a very intelligent and responsible young woman, and she deserved better treatment from her employers.
There was plenty of ammunition for a law suit, but she got another job, actually a much better job, very quickly, and didn't stir trouble.
I tell you this because you may want to take it into consideration when you choose an exterminator. Personally, I wouldn't give such an unethical outfit any of my bussiness.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

When we first moved into the house after it was built,within 2 weeks we had little visitors. They drove us crazy, the dog crazy, got into everything. They were brazen enough to run across your feet in the bathroom, talk about nerve!! We tried traps, stuffing steel wool in holes, glue traps which did work but gave me the whammies removing the things. We then got a cat, then another cat of my daughters...Have not had a mouse since. Poor cats have to go out in the pasture and hunt gophers for something to do now..I love those cats
kadesma