"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Clarifying the ALL CAPS issue in another thread

It is considered screaming in the cyber world. It is also much harder to read in all caps. If someone has trouble viewing their screen there is a simple solution.

Click on View in your upper toolbar
Highlight Text Size
From here you have several options - Increase, Decrease, Normal

This may have to be done on the site everytime you visit - and some sites can't make their font larger.

You can also change your settings at your desktop to change ALL font on your computer but you can also mess it up if you don't know what you are doing.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 10-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for the clarification, kitchenelf.

I believe writing (typing) on the internet should follow the same punctuation and grammar rules that prevail elsewhere.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Executive Chef

With the invention of internet, and now with text messaging, it's become apparent the art of the written word is lost, possibly forever.

I remember taking composition classes in the 60s and 70s. We learned spelling, grammar, punctuation, tense, etc. Emphasis was placed on being able to express yourself clearly, yet with style and grace. Letter writing was taught. I wonder how many people even know how to properly set a letter to a page. The terms greeting, closing and salutation have lost their meaning.

It's a shame, really, when you think of it. I believe my generation was the last generation to learn these simple skills. What's sadder, still, is that many people don't seem concerned, overmuch. As a society, we have lost the ability to communicate correctly, with a pen. I am loathe to suggest it, but I fear we may also be losing the ability to communicate face to face. What a grim picture to conjur when one considers the society of the future, sitting in front of screens of various sizes typing messages in computer jargon instead of getting out for a chat.

I understand the 'all caps' rule that it is the equivalent of screaming. My own personal feelings on this is that given the unending parade of typographical errors, grammatically incorrect sentences, or someone who simply types their words capitalized, I'd opt for the capital letters.

I long for the days when gentlewomen went calling in the afternoon, leaving dainty cards at the homes where they could not be received at the time. I am quite convinced I was born a hundred years too late.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Old 10-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

LMBO

Old 10-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Head Chef

LMBO?? Are you screaming now? OK I will tell my aunt about changing all letters on her site I'm sure with alot of help she will be able to understand how to do it. Thanks for all the info on not using caps and how to change the size of letters without screaming.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpershere2
LMBO?? Are you screaming now?
No, just laughling loudly!

Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Okay, now don't everybody attack me at once: I've come to dislike the all-italicized posts almost as much as the screaming caps ones. But please, please if you insist on italicizing, don't also use a pale color. The combination makes the words so difficult to read.

Keep it simple and save the the frills for the occasional emphasis. Just MHO, of course.

P.S. I know this is a bit of a thread hijacker, and I apologize for that. It's been something I've wanted to express but didn't think it warranted its own thread and certainly not a reply to a specific post.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
Okay, now don't everybody attack me at once: I've come to dislike the all-italicized posts almost as much as the screaming caps ones. But please, please if you insist on italicizing, don't also use a pale color. The combination makes the words so difficult to read.

Keep it simple and save the the frills for the occasional emphasis. Just MHO, of course.

P.S. I know this is a bit of a thread hijacker, and I apologize for that. It's been something I've wanted to express but didn't think it warranted its own thread and certainly not a reply to a specific post.
Here, here!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, the light-colored font is sometimes hard to read - but we're more or less talkinng about netiquette. It's not a thread hijacker and can still be an issue.

But all caps is becomeing the #1 golden rule when you're just on a bulletin board or chat board. I just very rarely seems to bother anyone unless it becomes a habit that everything is always in all caps. THEN people will complain.

Closed Thread