"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 12-29-2006, 02:37 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Foreign Terms

How about a forum of cooking and food items in French, Italian, Greek and other counties.
I was on a cruise ovet the holidays and a lot of the menu items were in French.
I felt like a big "dummy" having to ask what every thing was.
There may be a transaltaion site on the web that will have the information.

TIA,
Charlie

Old 12-29-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Go to Patricia Wells' site and download her food glossary. We have taken it to France with us every trip. Ordinary dictionaries just do not work for food terms. Hers is particularly good because it is totally alphabetical (which might seem logical and intuitive) and NOT broken up into "entree", "plat", "desert" as the much recommended but worthless Marling MenuMaster book is.
On a Francophile board I visit, several posters have also done an excellent food glossary, building somewhat on PW's glossary but also their own extensive experience in France.
PW's book, A Foodlover's Guide to Paris is an excellent guide book also, and contains the glossary along with recommendations of restaurants (in all their Parisian classifications), cheese, markets, and recipes. It is a little out of date for current eateries, but still a good book.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:53 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I have no clue about French but for Italian terms, however I would be more than happy to help you any time... There are couple of long time Greece residents here in this forum as well, I am sure they can help you with "speaking greek" as well!!
Old 12-29-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

Hello Charlie and I would have to say that a few of our member are Greek, some Italian etc.

As far as a Forum for all the groups I really don't think that it is necessary.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I did a quick google search for 'food terms in foreign languages' and came up with this site. You will probably find more on your own searches, but it's a start.

Language Software
Old 12-30-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Food Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
I did a quick google search for 'food terms in foreign languages' and came up with this site. You will probably find more on your own searches, but it's a start.

Language Software
Thanks ALL for the response!

Daisy, I too GOOGLED Foreign food terms and found a couple interesting.
a search for "Steak Tartare" -- procduced this:
Steak tartare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I didn't look further but I believe the "WIKIPEDIA SITE" would be a good reference for any thing.

Then I found:
Babylon - Add Glossaries

It seems like a good translator for quite a few foreign languages
I went ahesd and D/L it but I don't think I will keep it.

Candocook -- I'll take a look at the PW site.

I'm really interested in getting a list of food and food terms with the foreign language words.
I would keep this list on my PDA as a ready refereence.

Thanks agsin,
Charlie
Old 12-30-2006, 01:10 AM   #7
Senior Cook

PW Glossary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
Go to Patricia Wells' site and download her food glossary. We have taken it to France with us every trip. Ordinary dictionaries just do not work for food terms. Hers is particularly good because it is totally alphabetical (which might seem logical and intuitive) and NOT broken up into "entree", "plat", "desert" as the much recommended but worthless Marling MenuMaster book is.
On a Francophile board I visit, several posters have also done an excellent food glossary, building somewhat on PW's glossary but also their own extensive experience in France.
PW's book, A Foodlover's Guide to Paris is an excellent guide book also, and contains the glossary along with recommendations of restaurants (in all their Parisian classifications), cheese, markets, and recipes. It is a little out of date for current eateries, but still a good book.
EUREKA!
This glossary from Patrica Wells web page is just what I am looking for:
At Home With Patricia Wells - Glossary - Dictionary of French Cooking Terms

This list D/L's to MS Word and can be edited as you desire.
I will "massage it" and put it on my PDA. It will be very easy to find the term in question.

I hesitate to publish it here because of copyright concerns.

Thanks again,
Charlie
Old 12-30-2006, 03:24 AM   #8
Sous Chef

It is the real winner of French food glossaries, we have found. "Publishing it" here would be MANY pages--it is comprehensive!! I believe it can be downloaded in a PDF format for use.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:35 AM   #9
Senior Cook

French Glossary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
It is the real winner of French food glossaries, we have found. "Publishing it" here would be MANY pages--it is comprehensive!! I believe it can be downloaded in a PDF format for use.
GRRRR! I just lost a response to this message. Clicked on the "Submit Reply" and got a "can not find server" or words to that effect! Had to start from the top.
This has happened in the past to my E-mail service. I got in the habit of copying the message to the clipboard before I sent it.
Then if it "BOMBED" I did not have to retype the message.

That said, I opted to D/L the Glossary in the MS Word format insted of the PDF with the idea I could edit out things I didn't want.
Needless to say, I could not determine what to edit out. Any and all of it may be needed. I loaded the whole document, all 40 pages, (148K) on to my PDA.

Thanks again,
Charlie
Old 12-31-2006, 02:49 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry
GRRRR! I just lost a response to this message. Clicked on the "Submit Reply" and got a "can not find server" or words to that effect! Had to start from the top.
This has happened in the past to my E-mail service. I got in the habit of copying the message to the clipboard before I sent it.
Then if it "BOMBED" I did not have to retype the message.

That said, I opted to D/L the Glossary in the MS Word format insted of the PDF with the idea I could edit out things I didn't want.
Needless to say, I could not determine what to edit out. Any and all of it may be needed. I loaded the whole document, all 40 pages, (148K) on to my PDA.

Thanks again,
Charlie
When you get the "can't find the server" after a Submit Reply, you can usually click the "back" button and return to the Reply to Thread page that still shows your post.

Why not just save the link to the glossary as a favorite or bookmark?

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote