"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i know you are not supposed to but i only use one password for everything, not my bank though. i have been logged into this site forever. does this mean my puter is full of stuff i should get rid of? oh well, think i will leave well enough alone.
I used to do that until one of my accounts got hacked. Now I use different passwords, sometimes just changing the letters to numbers, but it's still makes it hard to remember. I have to change my work passwords every 30 days, very aggravating since I have at least 10 to sign on- I have to write them all down and then make sure they are secured somewhere. arrgh!

Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
Master Chef

Alix, could very well be. A friend comes in and cleans up my system periodically. He hasn't worked on it recently, but he could very well have a clean up system installed. It would explain it and a couple of other things.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i know you are not supposed to but i only use one password for everything, not my bank though. i have been logged into this site forever. does this mean my puter is full of stuff i should get rid of? oh well, think i will leave well enough alone.
You're not alone. I use the same password for forums, newsletters, etc. There is no sensitive information for anyone to find there.

It is a good idea to periodically clean up history, cookies, etc. You will have to sign in again to sites like DC, but if you use Firefox and click on the the Remember Password banner at the top, it will automatically fill in the password for you.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

One password for forums here, too, for the same reason, no sensitive information.
I use IE and they have a box you can check to remember sites in your Favorites when you clear cookies. There is only one site that it doesn't work on and save the cookie, but this site is fine.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
One password for forums here, too, for the same reason, no sensitive information.
I use IE and they have a box you can check to remember sites in your Favorites when you clear cookies. There is only one site that it doesn't work on and save the cookie, but this site is fine.
Firefox has a list of things to clean up and you can uncheck "saved passwords" here too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote