Long script running?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Us old timers stick with what we are comfortable with."

You've got that right Addie.

I haven't been "where it's at" for a long time. :rolleyes:

Actually I haven't wanted to be.

I'm very happy right where I am. ;)

Other than DC, most of the stuff I do on the computer, is just piddling stuff. Mostly read the news, look up something, or order on line. I am not one to race to have the latest and greatest. I have no need for a Droid, or iPhone, I have no idea how to text nor do I care to. I like the sound of the human voice. I have noticed that when I see the long lines of those waiting outside the doors to purchase the latest $500 iPhone are mostly males. You don't see middle age woman in those lines. We have caught on to Apple's game. Tomorrow that latest and greatest will be out of date. And none of your present Apple products will work on the new stuff. Apple is not getting rich off of the middle agers and the elderly. We are too smart.

I would be just as happy with the treadle sewing machine with attachments as an electric one. They both sew. Ad that is all I ask of it. The same with all today's new electronics. I can make a call with my simple free cell phone just like you can with your latest and greatest one. :angel:

Apple is not getting rich off of the middle agers and the elderly. We are too smart...

...I can make a call with my simple free cell phone just like you can with your latest and greatest one. :angel:
Yes, but my phone also gives me directions to where I need to go, organizes our household shopping lists, reads books to me on the commute to work, and likewise plays music, movies, and radio. It gives me real-time news and weather reports, pulls up recipes, recommends restaurants, lets me browse the internet anywhere, keeps my meeting notes close at hand, reminds me when I have to do things, takes and displays photos....and hundreds of other things, etc, etc, etc.

Granted, my phone isn't free by any means. But in the not too distant past, it would've cost a whole lot more money to have the ability to do all of the things these amazing devices are capable of. I'm not clear on how having one makes someone NOT smart. (by the way, I'm a little older than middle-aged)

Addie, don't get me wrong. If your phone does all you need it to do and you prefer things old school, that's fine. But for a lot of us, we depend on our phones for many other things. It's no longer just a phone.

To put it another way, a horse and buggy will certainly get one from place to place, but I think the majority of us would rather take a car if given the choice.

Last edited:
You know, Addie, your life is not necessarily the same as others your age. My dad is 73 and still runs his own financial-adviser business. He has an iPhone and recently bought an iPad. I'm 50 and was a website manager for a large organization till I had to resign for medical reasons. I've had an Android smartphone for about 3 years and I love it, for all the reasons Steve mentioned. It's great.

btw, I just installed Ad Blocker on Firefox and am still seeing the emoticons. If you're open to learning something new, ditch IE and install Firefox. Your Internet experience will be much better.

"Yes, but my phone also gives me directions to where I need to go"

So do my maps and no batteries required.

"organizes our household shopping lists"

I use a pad of paper for that. Again no batteries.

"reads books to me on the commute to work"

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to relax in a comfy chair when I read a book.

"and likewise plays music, movies, and radio"

Just like the CD/Radio in my vehicle does. It doesn't play movies but I shouldn't be watching them while I drive anyway.

"lets me browse the internet anywhere"

That's a nice feature and I can see where It could be useful.

"keeps my meeting notes close at hand,"

My portfolio keeps my notes at hand. No batteries.

"reminds me when I have to do things, takes and displays photos...."

Even my cheap "old" flip does that.

"But in the not too distant past, it would've cost a whole lot more money to have the ability to do all of the things these amazing devices are capable of."

Yes they are amazing devices but having them cost more in the past doesn't make them cheap now.

"I'm not clear on how having one makes someone NOT smart."

It doesn't. Just shows different priorities

Steve, don't get me wrong. If your phone does all you need it to do and you prefer things where it's at that's fine.

But I just say that when your out of gas I'd rather have the horse just as I'd prefer a piece of paper when the batteries are dead or you have no signal.

Sorry to drift the thread but I was kinda bored. :rolleyes:

Please forgive me. :D

I really like the navigate function on my phone. Sure, a map will give me the info, but I can't look at a map while I'm driving and this thing talks to me. I usually plug the charger into the cigarette lighter plug when I have it on navigate.

Smartphones read the directions to you, so you don't have to look down at a map.

I don't have to keep track of a dozen little slips of paper or printouts with contacts, confirmation codes, shopping lists, vacation plans, calendars, etc. I use Outlook synced with Google Calendar and Evernote and have all that info with me at all times.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer to relax in a comfy chair when I read a book.

I just drove 5 hours back from a beach trip listening to a fascinating audiobook. Now I have it on my phone so I can listen to the rest while I sit in a chair, garden, take a walk, whatever.

Just like the CD/Radio in my vehicle does. It doesn't play movies but I shouldn't be watching them while I drive anyway.

I can get any radio station in the country on my phone, plus podcasts of radio shows I missed.

My Samsung Galaxy tablet turns my notes into searchable text and allows me to make digital drawings and insert photos and live web links.

"But in the not too distant past, it would've cost a whole lot more money to have the ability to do all of the things these amazing devices are capable of."

Yes they are amazing devices but having them cost more in the past doesn't make them cheap now.

No one said they're cheap, but if you value their capabilities, they're a great bargain.

Right!

Last edited:

Steve, don't get me wrong. If your phone does all you need it to do and you prefer things where it's at that's fine.

But I just say that when your out of gas I'd rather have the horse just as I'd prefer a piece of paper when the batteries are dead or you have no signal.

Sorry to drift the thread but I was kinda bored. :rolleyes:

Please forgive me. :D

I get your point, but to accomplish all that you do, you have to carry around maps, portfolios, lists, etc.. Yes my radio can play music in my car, but my phone can connect wireless to it and provide me with hours of commercial free music via Pandora, this is a great feature on long road trips. While connected I now have hands free calling.

There isn't a flip phone out there that takes good pictures. I've replaced my point and shoot camera with my phone.

If I'm somewhere like a hotel that doesn't have free wifi, I use my phone as a wireless router (hotspot) and can use multiple devices from it, even traveling down the highway (not me, I'm driving, but others in the car).

So one device that fits in the palm of my hand replaces a GPS, camera, organizer, wifi router, multiple lists etc. And it does it better than most stand alone, like a GPS, a GPS maps need to be updated at a cost, the one in my phone uses Google maps so they are the most up to date and detailed maps on the planet. It also helps us find places to eat, and things to see along the way.

We have an app for shopping lists, both phones connect to the same list, so in real time as we add to or "cross off" stuff the other phone is updated, handy for the way we attack shopping. I can scan a product and get instant product reviews and pricing comparisons.

This type of connectivity isn't for everyone, but it is very convenient, and I enjoy it a lot. For us the cost is worth it.

Last edited:
"but if you value their capabilities"

That's the key. I don't value their capabilities enough to fork over the cash. Some folks do.

"If you're open to learning something new, ditch IE and install Firefox. Your Internet experience will be much better. "

I tried firefox. Didn't like it. Different strokes and all that. ;)

You know, Addie, your life is not necessarily the same as others your age. My dad is 73 and still runs his own financial-adviser business. He has an iPhone and recently bought an iPad. I'm 50 and was a website manager for a large organization till I had to resign for medical reasons. I've had an Android smartphone for about 3 years and I love it, for all the reasons Steve mentioned. It's great.

Exactly. I don't see why Addie or the other poster above feel it's necessary to insult people who choose to embrace new technology.

By the way, my own mother-in-law turned 80 last year and loves her iPhone. Granted, she doesn't have many apps, but she does know how to take photos and send text messages. We got several from her earlier this month while they were on vacation in NC.

Last edited:

btw, I just installed Ad Blocker on Firefox and am still seeing the emoticons. If you're open to learning something new, ditch IE and install Firefox. Your Internet experience will be much better.

My mom is 65 she has a desktop, laptop, and tablet and is looking into getting a smartphone, and she's somewhat technology challenged. She eventually figures out technology and makes it work for her.

When she came this summer, she couldn't even turn on the TV, by the time she left she had not only figured out how to turn it on, she had the basic functions of the home theater PC (what we use for tv instead of cable) figured out.

Oh and she uses Chrome, I was so proud of her, :LOL:

Last edited:
I know there are other folks here who use this app too, 'cause I learned about it here. It's a great way to organize grocery lists, especially if there is more than one person who uses the lists. This one is instantly updated and great when two people are shopping at the same time. OurGroceries

I know there are other folks here who use this app too, 'cause I learned about it here. It's a great way to organize grocery lists, especially if there is more than one person who uses the lists. This one is instantly updated and great when two people are shopping at the same time. OurGroceries

I love that app. When I get in the car to leave for home from work, I will usually just text my wife and tell her I'm stopping at the store on the way home, and if there's anything she needs just add it to "the list".

By the time I get to the store, the grocery list on my phone is already updated with everything she added.

That is kind of cool.
Being that it's just me I keep my lists on a notepad app of sorts. But I admit sometimes I jot them down on a post-it and stick it in my pocket.

I love that app. When I get in the car to leave for home from work, I will usually just text my wife and tell her I'm stopping at the store on the way home, and if there's anything she needs just add it to "the list".

By the time I get to the store, the grocery list on my phone is already updated with everything she added.
Stirling has been updating that list at the website. Now that he has a SIM card for his tablet, he will be able to use the app at the store.

"Exactly. I don't see why Addie or the other poster above feel it's necessary to insult people who choose to embrace new technology."

Steve I'm sorry if you feel my post was insulting. It wasn't intended that way. I was playing with your post to express some views on smart phones. I don't see where Addie insulted anyone either. She expressed her view about some folks needing the latest and greatest a nanosecond after it hits the market. I tend to agree with her.
I'm happy that you choose to embrace new technology. I simply pointed out it's not for everyone. I'm included in that group. So excuse my if I pull over for a moment to look at a map or wait until later to see something on the web.
And on the subject of insults. I don't think it was very kind of you to use the horse and buggy line simply because someone wants to use a browser they are comfortable with and feels no need for the bell and whistles a smart phone offers.

I'd like to apologize to any and all who feel I've offended them. There was no intent to do so. I'm glad you're enjoying your devices. They just aren't for me at this point in my life. I really am happy without it. I have no want or need for it. Call me backward, close minded, simple minded, anything you'd like.(Just don't call me late for dinner);) I'll keep poking away with my old desktop on dial up using and antiquated browser with a smile on my face.:)

Now back to the topic.
Any word on getting rid of the long script issue with IE?

I'd like to apologize to any and all who feel I've offended them. There was no intent to do so.
I apologize as well. I just found myself a little agitated by Addie's comment alleging that people who buy into new technologies are somehow less "smart" than those who don't.

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't rely 100% on new technology. For example, if you look in the storage area behind the seat in my car, you'll find a 2006 Rand McNally Atlas. I figure it might come in handy should I ever find myself in the middle of nowhere with a dead cellphone battery.

I don't own a spare horse, though. :)

Last edited:
And you can't start a fire with a cell phone, but an atlas would work great.

kumbaya.gif

Now that we have that past us, let's just use this thread to post about the current page load issue please. we are working to trouble shoot this and it clearly only affects those using IE. Until it's solved please bear with us. :)

Different strokes for different folks.

Time to move on.

I have not experienced a of the issues with the offending script.

Back
Top Bottom