Ratings System Suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Karma was a great idea, as it showed members' appreciation for one another. To take it a step further, I would like to see a Ratings System, i.e. from one to five or a thumbs up or down for each post/thread. The reason being, sometimes, if someone likes a recipe, they will give you karma, but people are not aware that the input/recipe/post is appreciated. A Rating System would also help when posts/threads are not appreciated, go off topic, or are not considered by the majority to be appropriate by fellow members. The system would help eliminate the reporting a 'bad' post, make the helper's/admin jobs easier, and a feedback system would convey how members feel about posts/threads.

Please think of it as a positive, rather than 'it will make more work'. Example - Yahoo answers - if there is enough reported abuse by members and thumbs down, it indicates how the 'community' feels and what posts/threads are not appreciated/appropriate.

there already is a selection for rating a post, at the very bottom of the reply page, but it is hardly ever used.

You can also rate a thread without ever posting in it I believe. There is a Rating thingy with stars on it at the top of every thread. I don't think we can do it for individual posts though.

I think the rating system Alix speaks of is the best we can do for the moment. I fully understand what you are saying though.

Sounds like the system craigslist has, basically positive point or negative points(more often the case). I think it would be better in this online community though, CL is a very negative place,imo.

My first reaction is 'why'?

This is a forum where folks can discuss cooking matters, freely, and a tad more.

Have found the people here enormously polite and gentle with one another, and that, IMHO, is the major strength of this forum, and the reason I keep coming back.

Should I find a recipe I would not like to try, or a thread I have little interest in, I move on. No harm and certainly no foul.

But to me any rating system is an invitation to discord.

And I would hate to see that.

Just my knee jerk response. There may be many others who have a more insightful opinion.

kitchenelf said:
I think the rating system Alix speaks of is the best we can do for the moment. I fully understand what you are saying though.

Thanks KE. I gave it a try, but can't quote the original post, rate it, without giving a reply. The stars work, but don't know if they show up re a reply. Thanks for understanding the point.

This is just a cooking forum. It is my opinion that in a community like this it would be very disruptive to have someone's posts always given "negative" whatever. I can assure you that we (Admins and Mods) already know which posts are useless - and lots of times we remove them. But a lot of people here are here just to "get out" so to speak. If, in the big picture, it's harmless "getting out" then so be it. If it's disruptive "getting out" inform us via Report Post.

But I truly do understand mish.

i understand the way mish has suggested it, and it could be used for good if done in the spirit she mentioned, but i fear it might be used as just another way to complain or attack another member. (deadly sushi is right now searching out my posts and giving them a negative rating. :neutral: my travelling apron picture is on his dartboard. fortunately, you can't reach it above the piles of "the national enquirer" )
:)
it's a way to judge people's posts, and thereby the member him/herself.
not trying to be too moral or religious here, but judging others never leads to good things.
negative karma has caused enough problems here, i hope we don't start anything with a negative rating system for members.
on the other hand, we shouldn't be too happy-happy-joy-joy, disney-esque, if you know what i mean. that bugs me just as much, as it looks insincere.

buckytom said:
i understand the way mish has suggested it, and it could be used for good if done in the spirit she mentioned, but i fear it might be used as just another way to complain or attack another member.

I think we, as a community, all have the same 'positive' goals here. Yes you will get people with an axe to grind, that just want to bash...those are the members we do not want in our community. I hope that my suggestion does not perpetuate only neg comments. It was a suggestion for our community. Everyone is entitled to suggestions. Please don't race to your computer to give a grillion reasons why it won't work. i.e. keep an open mind. Thanks.

mish said:
I think we, as a community, all have the same 'positive' goals here. Yes you will get people with an axe to grind, that just want to bash...those are the members we do not want in our community. I hope that my suggestion does not perpetuate only neg comments. It was a suggestion for our community. Everyone is entitled to suggestions. Please don't race to your computer to give a grillion reasons why it won't work. i.e. keep an open mind. Thanks.

As a fairly new member here, it has been my observation that, by and large, the atmosphere is very allowing and open. Occasionally tempers have warmed but haven't risen to the heated/furious stage. Everything can't be all sweetness and light all the time. This isn't Utopia and we're all human and all different.

I've also noticed that when there have been obvious negative-sounding exchanges, other members interject their comments on the thread's subject (ignoring the cross exchange), which tends to diffuse a potential bad situation.

Another thing I've seen is when an "undesirable" poster comes on the scene, whether or not DC members do it intentionally, his/her posts appear to be discretely ignored or replied to in a minimal manner. The poster isn't rewarded with the desired response and dries up and goes away.

Just my 2 cents worth, for what it's worth.

Ratings

I joined this site to learn new ideas and recipes. All the ppl here have been so friendly and helpful- I appreciate that. Now if you want to rate every thread,that will be a differant story, I don't what to be rated (judged) on everything I post. I come here to relax and enjoy- not be graded ! Iam a 61 yr. old Grandma, who loves ppl, and cooking - hearing everyones views and ideas- right or wrong. Barb L. :)

I would be disappointed to see a points rating system instigated as it would be inhibiting and would doubtless put new members off. It's already quite difficult butting into an existing community without feeling like you're going to be given marks.

One thing that would be nice is some kind of record of whom I've given karma to. I can see in my user cp who's been generous to me, but I keep trying to give karma to people I've recently given karma to and can't yet give to again. It would also be an easy way for me to keep a record of posts I've found especially helpful (recipes, tips, etc.). But this is just additional work for all of those of you who keep this site ticking over. Big karma is due just for that.

along with Snoops idea... I'd like to be able to give more than 10 karma points a day. Sometimes... I run out before I'm done saying "thanks" to those who deserve it.

I have to look at this this way, I like things as they are simply because no one likes to be told your recipe is lousy. We all have ego's and we all have likes and dislikes. I might love sugared rutabegas and you look and say YUK...I wouldn't dream of telling someone I don't like your recipe, I just pass by take a look and let it go. It's so easy to hurt feelings that I feel we need to just let things be right now and continue as always..Look, like it then write a post, or karma, don't like it, okay, let's go find one we do like... But, I do have to say this, I love that members can come here and make a suggestion that they feel will benefit all of us and not worry that they will be jumped on or frowned at..But that we will say, let's see and work on it some more..
kadesma:)

I've been in a foul mood (and lurking "invisibly" for a few days), so it would not be good for someone in a mood like mine to have a negative rating system available to him/her. Better to just stay away from posting until one feels civilized again.

Back
Top Bottom