Spellchecker to download that will work in posts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very true Piccolina. I use Firefox and I had a spellcheck extension for it, but they came out with a new version of Firefox that I upgraded to and the spellcheck software does not work with the upgraded Firefox. I am hoping that gets fixed soon. If anyone has noticed I have been spelling worse than usual, that is why :)

I use the Google taskbar. It is easy to download and it has a TON of functions. I use it more than my other taskbar. I highly recommend it. Also, its spellcheck is very effective.

does anyone remember hard copy dictionaries? i keep one next to my computer, so if i don't know the spelling of, or the proper use of a word, i look it up. you learn so much more that way.
like the definitions of other similarly spelled words that you would have never known or used.

GB said:
Very true Piccolina. I use Firefox and I had a spellcheck extension for it, but they came out with a new version of Firefox that I upgraded to and the spellcheck software does not work with the upgraded Firefox. I am hoping that gets fixed soon. If anyone has noticed I have been spelling worse than usual, that is why :)
I didn't know that there was a checker for Firefox, that's very cool. We use that as our browser and I'd love to download the spell checker app if it was compatible with our version (I do have a sneaking idea though that DH keeps us updated with the latest versions so we'd likely encounter the same thing that you did) :)

Spellbound is the one for Firefox. It is a little complicated to install so show this link to DH. If you are using Firefox 1.5.0.1 don't bother downloading it, but if you are using an earlier version then it should work.

buckytom said:
does anyone remember hard copy dictionaries? i keep one next to my computer, so if i don't know the spelling of, or the proper use of a word, i look it up. you learn so much more that way.
like the definitions of other similarly spelled words that you would have never known or used.

As a writer I used to keep two "dictionaries" next to me type writer, then the word processor. One with just words for spelling and one with definitions. Today I have a computer which allows me to throw away that second dictionary used just for spelling. I love progress.
For those of us who use the Google tool bar for spelling, a definition and word usage can be gotten by simply putting the word into the Google search line and pressing search. I could not open the cover of a book that quick.
One final thought. A contest I play with myself each time I write is to have a perfect page. That is when the spell checker says: "No errors found." Now let me see if I have won.

And for those that use Firefox, you can put Webster in the upper right hand corner search box. I use that all the time. Very handy!

I surely wish there could be a bilingual spellchecker... I use Italian and English both, often both mixed up in a same document, thus if my spell checker is set on Italian all of my english word is marked, and vise versa... it got very annoying and I stopped using it. Now I just have my online dictionary handy on my desktop...

wasabi said:
img_254012_0_22bb4304791b41a0ac6179eca2271e57.jpg
LOL, I do eat a Big Mac at my Mac.

Wasabi

Could you tell me how your set up to post with pictures? It looks like you have to put the image on a server first and put the address in the
Code:
[img]http:www.whatever.com/imagename.jpg[/img]
or some such thing. Am I close?

Oh just thought you might like to know that your image is no longer on your server it seems...

GB said:

Since I have dyslexia, I open my word processer and use that spell checker. Then I cut and past into my message.

It took me half an hour last night to find the word dyslexia and I still spell it wrong. I had it checked before I posted.

GB said:
Spellbound is the one for Firefox. It is a little complicated to install so show this link to DH. If you are using Firefox 1.5.0.1 don't bother downloading it, but if you are using an earlier version then it should work.

I'm using 1.5.0.1 and it does not work... Your absolutly right.

urmaniac13 said:
I surely wish there could be a bilingual spellchecker... I use Italian and English both, often both mixed up in a same document, thus if my spell checker is set on Italian all of my english word is marked, and vise versa... it got very annoying and I stopped using it. Now I just have my online dictionary handy on my desktop...

I have the same thing happening here. I use English and French and have to switch my keyboard all the time.

BrianMorin said:
Wasabi

Could you tell me how your set up to post with pictures? It looks like you have to put the image on a server first and put the address in the
Code:
[img]http:www.whatever.com/imagename.jpg[/img]
or some such thing. Am I close?

Oh just thought you might like to know that your image is no longer on your server it seems...
Hi BrianMorin,

I use Photobucket to store my pics, etc. They have the codes all set up for you. Very easy to use. I rearranged my photo albums in PB, that's why some of my images are not showing. You can also try ImageShack.

I was using Firefox for al long time and then it started acting weird on me. I had to go back to Safari, but I miss the spellcheck in Firefox. Now I just use my Franklin spelling ace.

wasabi said:
Hi BrianMorin,

I use Photobucket to store my pics, etc. They have the codes all set up for you. Very easy to use. I rearranged my photo albums in PB, that's why some of my images are not showing. You can also try ImageShack.

I was using Firefox for al long time and then it started acting weird on me. I had to go back to Safari, but I miss the spellcheck in Firefox. Now I just use my Franklin spelling ace.

Thanks Wasabi, I've taken note and will check them out.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom