"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 09-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Or Portabello Mushrooms!!!
mmmmmmmm.... pooortabelllla mushrooooooms

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

I feel confident I'm correct when I say everybody eats vegetable dishes. They are not exclusive to vegetarians.

What would be in a vegetarian forum that would be of interest only to vegetarians? We have a vegetables forum. It covers the topic of cooking vegetable dishes.

As to the fragmentation issue, that's a fact of life for most of the forums. A beef dish could be in the beef forum, soups, stews, ethnic, outdoor cooking. etc. There can't be unification.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
A title can always contain the word Vegetarian in it followed by the recipe, just like we do ISO or REC or TNT

Vegetarian: Black Beans and Rice
Vegetarian: Cheese Ravioli with Pesto

That's what titles are all about - put something in the title that you know you would search for if you were searching our site. This was a good point to bring up. Icons wouldn't help during searching but something in the title would definitely be good!

The reason we haven't put in a forum as such is because, like someone said, most recipes fall under another category.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #24
Master Chef

I can't believe you're really that obtuse Andy M. "Everybody eats vegetable dishes"? What rock have you been living under for the last 20 years or so? LOL!!!!

The difference in a "Vegetarian" forum, is that all or the majority of dishes provide complete proteins via vegetable sources - thus providing the same nutrients normally provided by a meat & veggie dinner. That's a very simplistic version, but I'm hoping you got it since you're obviously way WAY behind the times. Vegetarian dishes - & high-level cuisine vegetarian dishes - have been around for a long long time. : )
Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 PM   #25
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
If there were a vegetarian forum, where would recipes like “Penne with Zucchini”, “Brown Rice Pilaf”, or “Portobello Stir-fry” go? None of those dishes have meat, so do they go under vegetarian, or under the Pasta / Beans / Vegetable forums?

If I wanted to post a recipe for a pasta salad made with pasta, peas, olives, and an herb pesto (no meat), where does it go? Vegetarian or Pasta?

With dishes like this, isn’t it decided by the inclination of the poster/author and not the dish since the dish is inherently vegetarian? Isn’t it possible that non-vegetarians could miss out on some great pasta/bean/grain recipes since they wouldn’t think to look in a vegetarian forum for a recipe?

I like the title tag idea myself (put Vegetarian in the title). I’ve become very dependent on the Title Search feature here at DC!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #26
Chief Eating Officer

The interesting thing is that we used to have a vegetarian forum. It is what is now known as the vegetable forum. we had vegetarians complain to us that having a forum called vegetarian was not cool with them (I forget the actual reason as it was a while ago), so we really can't win. We have a vegetarian forum and we are asked by the vegetarians to remove it. We don't have one and we are told we are unfriendly to vegetarians because we don't have one.

If you think the site would benefit from a vegetarian forum then look at the vegetable forum. 90% of what what posted in there was posted when it was a vegetarian forum.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 PM   #27
Master Chef

As I said before, true vegetarian dishes comprise vegetable components that make complete proteins for those that follow a vegetarian diet. Dishes that just contain vegetables &/or pasta/grains easily go elsewhere.

There are many vegetarian/vegan dishes that don't fit anywhere else here, provide complete nutritional proteins, & are worth singling out in a forum easy to access.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Sigh. Keltin this really shouldn't be that difficult to understand.

As I said before, true vegetarian dishes comprise vegetable components that make complete proteins for those that follow a vegetarian diet. Dishes that just contain vegetables &/or pasta/grains easily go elsewhere. What's the big problem?

There are many vegetarian/vegan dishes that don't fit anywhere else here, provide complete nutritional proteins, & are worth singling out in a forum easy to access.

I'm amused by your assumption that dishes posted in the other forums we have mentioned can't or aren't nutritionally complete! LOL

When you have a minute, please post a vegan or vegetarian recipe (or a link) that doesn't fit into an existing forum. (oops, almost forgot,
:-) )
Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
There are separate forums or sub forums for Beef, Lamb, Pork, Game and even a separate one for Veal. Is anyone willing to even recognize a bias?

There is a bias. There are separate forums or sub forums for Beef, Lamb, Pork, Game and even a separate one for Veal. That's fine. But, there's also a missing component in the world of cooking. Vegetarian is a category that exists on most recipe sites and it doesn't exist here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
. . . so we really can't win. We have a vegetarian forum and we are asked by the vegetarians to remove it.
I don't understand why this is an us against them thing. From what I remember about the "add an Herb forum" discussion, it involved cordial discourse. This discussion does not seem cordial to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
If there were a vegetarian forum, where would recipes like “Penne with Zucchini”, “Brown Rice Pilaf”, or “Portobello Stir-fry” go?
In the vegetarian forum. And I promise I'll post some deep fried stuff
Old 09-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

And why would Penne with Zucchini not fit in the pasta forum? Why would Brown Rice Pilaf not go in the Rice forum?

Yes we have separate forums for beef, chicken, and veal. Where is the bias? There are plenty of places for vegetarian recipes as well.

This has nothing to do with "us against them". I am not even sure who is the "us" and who is the "them. Like I said, we used to have a vegetarian forum and we were yelled at by vegetarians to remove it. Now we are getting the opposite.

And Breezy, if you really think that just by naming a forum "vegetarian" that you are going to get people only posting nutritionally complete meals then I challenge you to look in the vegetable forum to see how many you see in there. As I said before, 90% of those posts were made when that WAS the vegetarian forum.