"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Bananas turning brown on a fruit tray

I'm a fan of taking fruit trays to 'bring food' occassions... they're so beautiful and you can garnish them so easily (hollow out a pineapple for the dip, make lemon roses, put a slice of lime or lemon or orange on the side of the dip container, etc.).

Anyway, I always have a banana problem --wow, that word (banana) is hard to type, or is it just me, I either have to type it slow or use backspace and fix it. Anyway, all the other fruits are fine after being chunked or sliced into serving size, but I always have to take the bananas separate and do them last-minute before the meal. It can be unhandy.

Apples work great in pineapple or lemon juice, but I tried bananas with pineapple juice and they started turning brown and not as fresh within an hour! Something that would make them still nice-looking after 3 hours or so would be perfect.

Any advice?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
First...welcome, Kay. DC is a great place to come for information and friendship.

As for your question, I've always used lemon juice to keep bananas, etc. from oxidizing on a plate. Perhaps the pineapple juice wasn't acidic enough. Someone with more knowledge will most certainly come along with more in depth information. Just be patient. Help is on the way.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:36 AM   #3
Master Chef

Welome, too, KitchenS. In your grocery you will find a product called "Fruit Fresh". It will keep your fruits from browning. It's sold in a shaker bottle with fruit on the label and it's very effective. Slice your bananas and sprinkle FF on them---then proceed with the rest of your fruit salad. Also you might try some lemon juice sprinkled on them and tinged with a little sugar. Hope this helps....
Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Sous Chef

I've used both lemon juice and Fruit Fresh. The Fruit Fresh seems to last a little longer and does not change the flavor.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Welcome to DC! I'm also a Fruit Fresh user.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks for the help! And for the welcome. This place is very addictive. Wonder what I did with all my time before I found this forum. ;) I just sit here and read and read. I feel very amateur in the cooking dept and have learned lots already!

Fruit Fresh is definitely going on my shopping list! I didn't know there was such a thing. Can't wait to try it. I hope our local supermarket has it... small town in the woods of northern WI. I was always afraid to try lemon juice for fear it would make the bananas taste like lemons, which is why I always use pineapple juice for apples... tastes better. :)
Old 03-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Master Chef

DC is a reciprocal relationship, SB. We help each other whether it's to offer a new yummy recipe, a solution to a problem, suggestions of what to do with a rebellious teen, giving words of support to someone who has lost a dear family member or pet, sharing a new funny website or amusement that has nothing to do with cooking, and a myriad of other things. WARNING! This place is addictive. :)

About Fruit Fresh----here's their website: Fruit-Fresh

Tags
None