Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi all,

I have a question; I've just spoted the first chestnuts of the year at our tiny local organic shop and would love to roast some for my hubby and I. He talks fondly of roast chestnut memories from Italy, but the thing is I've never done it (roasting chestnuts) before.

I gather that I'll need to buy some equiptment, as I don't have a roasting pan with a rack in i (just rackless-pans:mrgreen:), and I've read that you need to roast them on a rack.

Can anyone offer any pointers? Thank-you, they are totally appreciated :)

I love roasted chestnuts.

Take a baking sheet and put a raised rack on it,or you can just put them on the sheet pan.Cut a slit or an X across the round end(Oh and check if they ar marroni chestnuts,there the best for roasting,big and meaty)add a little water and roast @400 for 20 minutes or so.You have to remove the shells while still hot,otherwise it's pretty difficult.If you find thats whats happening put them back in the oven for a coupble of minutes.Oh yeah,cover with tin foil.

Over an open fire in a chestnut roaster is still hard to beat though.

Thank-you foodaholic, that sounds easy enough :mrgreen: Do you have any tips for removing the shells? Can it be done with a knife?

I was wondering the same thing..how to remove the hot shell. I guess you could put an oven mitt on your hand then use a nut cracker, and peel away the shell?

You can peel them with your fingers,but when there just out of the oven put them in a towel and crush them,that takes off quite a bit of the shell.

Last edited:
I loved this time of year when I lived in London. Traditional chestnut sellers with braziers on the main shopping streets like Oxford Street and Regent Street. From now to Christmas, buying a small bag of freshly roasted chestnuts and burning your fingers peeling them before eating the yummy flesh within.... :chef:

Back
Top Bottom