"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how big a 5 pound bag of dried tomatoes might be. Thinking body bag size!
Naw, 2 quarts, maybe 3.
__________________

__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
When everyone was touting how great sun dried tomatoes were, I bought a small jar in olive oil. My ancestors used to chew the leather hides of buffalo and got them softer than these sun dried tomatoes. Did I just get a cheap product? Have never bought them since.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When everyone was touting how great sun dried tomatoes were, I bought a small jar in olive oil. My ancestors used to chew the leather hides of buffalo and got them softer than these sun dried tomatoes. Did I just get a cheap product? Have never bought them since.
You might call them a little chewy but not buffalo hide.
If you want to try them again maybe get a little bag of dried. They seem expensive at about 2.50 for a three or 4 ounces but remember that drying takes most of the weight out and there are maybe a dozen tomatoes in that little bag. I like the halved better than the smaller pieces. They will be tough but there will be directions for reconstituting on the bag that amount to pour boiling water over them for a minute or two, then drain. Suggest you save that tomato flavored water for later use.

Doing it that way you'll get at least 3 or 4 times as much "dried" tomato as you would in the little jars for about the same price as the jars. Depending on the brand, some of those jars are ridiculously expensive.

The 5 lb. bag worked out to be about half the price of those little bags and I like the product a lot better.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
You might call them a little chewy but not buffalo hide.
If you want to try them again maybe get a little bag of dried. They seem expensive at about 2.50 for a three or 4 ounces but remember that drying takes most of the weight out and there are maybe a dozen tomatoes in that little bag. I like the halved better than the smaller pieces. They will be tough but there will be directions for reconstituting on the bag that amount to pour boiling water over them for a minute or two, then drain. Suggest you save that tomato flavored water for later use.

Doing it that way you'll get at least 3 or 4 times as much "dried" tomato as you would in the little jars for about the same price as the jars. Depending on the brand, some of those jars are ridiculously expensive.

The 5 lb. bag worked out to be about half the price of those little bags and I like the product a lot better.
Aha! Nowhere on that jar were there any instructions regarding reconstituting them. And even watching cooking shows, I never heard about that step. Will have to get some next month.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Freezing: The bag says they keep 6 months in the fridge but I"ll defer to your experience and freeze in smaller bags. Thanks.

I like the rice idea a lot.

A jar of tomato pesto will probably become a regular thing in the fridge.

The "loaded alfredo sauce" appeals a lot. I don't keep cream on hand, but was thinking last night while making the tomato sardine stir fry sauce that some butter and milk would be interesting. Would have added it then if it was going over pasta instead of polenta. Which made me think of SOS, which I like but most people turn their noses up at. It's essentially bechamel with dried beef. These tomatoes would make that special.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and advice.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #16
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Aha! Nowhere on that jar were there any instructions regarding reconstituting them. And even watching cooking shows, I never heard about that step. Will have to get some next month.
I don't think you can reconstitute the ones in jars with olive oil. But sometimes I soak the whole bagful in hot water for a minute, then drain and store them in the fridge with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That gives me a product I like better than the jars in the store for a fraction of the price.
__________________
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #17
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,080
Sometimes Ill make a sandwich with Italian bread, fresh Mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes, basil, and drizzle of garlic/ olive oil, S & P.

I prefer the tomatoes I dry myself over the ones I buy at the store, because they aren't fully dried, they still have a little ' burst' of tomato when biting into it. Its a nice concentrated tomato flavor. I also pack them with garlic/ olive oil and fridge them.
__________________
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
Freezing: The bag says they keep 6 months in the fridge but I"ll defer to your experience and freeze in smaller bags. Thanks.

I like the rice idea a lot.

A jar of tomato pesto will probably become a regular thing in the fridge.

The "loaded alfredo sauce" appeals a lot. I don't keep cream on hand, but was thinking last night while making the tomato sardine stir fry sauce that some butter and milk would be interesting. Would have added it then if it was going over pasta instead of polenta. Which made me think of SOS, which I like but most people turn their noses up at. It's essentially bechamel with dried beef. These tomatoes would make that special.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and advice.
SL, if you are lucky enough to have a Trader Joes, this is an item I'm never without in my pantry.

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:21 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Sometimes Ill make a sandwich with Italian bread, fresh Mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes, basil, and drizzle of garlic/ olive oil, S & P.

I prefer the tomatoes I dry myself over the ones I buy at the store, because they aren't fully dried, they still have a little ' burst' of tomato when biting into it. Its a nice concentrated tomato flavor. I also pack them with garlic/ olive oil and fridge them.
I did dry a couple in the oven on very low a few years back. You are right. They have a ton of tomato flavor. I should do that again. I love tomatoes.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
When we went out for our anniversary Thursday, my appetizer was fried green tomatoes with sun-dried pepper aioli and goat cheese. It was really good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-23 19.59.15.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	24940  
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
other, sun dried tomatoes, tomato, tomatoes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.