"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 11-26-2007, 06:19 PM   #21
Master Chef

Gorgeous Baked Salmon with White Sauce

If you serve your baked salmon (or any fish, for that matter) with a white sauce try adding some pomegranate and red caviar for a visually stunning "Ommph" to the sauce. Gorgeous! Transluscent and reflects the light of the candles. Add them at the very end.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM   #22
Executive Chef

We just split them, pick out the seeds and eat them or put them in fruit salads or garnish other dishes. They are great and beautiful - like jewelry.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #23
Master Chef

Gorgeous and they reflect the light..........
Old 11-26-2007, 07:39 PM   #24
Senior Cook

According to my little currency converter, $4 AU is $3.43 US. They sound nice, though!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
I love it, best for me is beating ;) those seeds over warm roast lamb that has been shredded on a plate and then scattered with some torn mint leaves. Its DH's favourite way to eat roast lamb and I've spouted off about it several times here before
Lulu...your Kiwiness is showing.

And I agree, pomegranate seeds banged a la Nigella over lamb is the best! I make a salad of warm slices of lamb, rocket leaves, mint leaves, goats fetta, the seeds and a dressing of pomegranate molasses and olive oil. We have that often over summer so anyone who gets their hands on a pomegranate, give it a try!!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:18 AM   #26
Master Chef

Another use to all the other yummy sounding recipes. My aunt once made pomegranate liqueur that was to die for. Basically she soaked pomegranate in vodka for several weeks and strained it. Unique, visually appealing, and tasty.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:58 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan View Post
Lulu...your Kiwiness is showing.

And I agree, pomegranate seeds banged a la Nigella over lamb is the best! I make a salad of warm slices of lamb, rocket leaves, mint leaves, goats fetta, the seeds and a dressing of pomegranate molasses and olive oil. We have that often over summer so anyone who gets their hands on a pomegranate, give it a try!!

ROFL.......its the furry brown skin that gave me away, huh?

Oh that salad sounds GORGEOUS. We'll be trying that!

And Yes, Nigella does it so well! I serve the salad she recoomend with it, chicory, avocado, mint, green pees....all pretty much the same. I couldn't be without all her books bar the new one!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 AM   #28
Senior Cook

GAH! HERESY! To **** with Bobby Flay, especially if the hack can't get a pom open without destroying it! HACK! HACK!!!!!!!

Slice off the blossom and then at that point cut a cross deep enough to get JUST into the seeds. Finishing the second cut, twist the knife sideways to pry it open. Eat the good seeds, avoid the rotten ones (there are always some). Seeds that aren't tight, red and shiny are rotten. Avoid them like the plague. Peel and pry thru the tissues inside to get at the seeds by any means necessary, but a knife is rarely necessary. You'll mostly just be using your thumbs.

The seed inside each fruit is TOTALLY EDIBLE and an intrinsic part of eating a pom. Also a good bit of nutrition and fiber in there. They won't hurt dental work either, they're too soft.

They're a fun and delicious toy to enjoy during a favorite TV show. Just don't wear ANYTHING you love while eating one, the juice stains horribly, and you WILL get squirted at some point.

*pomegranate eater since age 9*

While I'm at it, quick lesson on picking one in a supermarket, since I've had to give this out several times to passersby.

The first thing to know is that varieties differ a bit. The most prevalent are enormous and have a thick, tight, glossy, bright red skin. These are fine. But the real jewels, for flavor, are the ugly ducklings of the pom bin. A bit smaller, they have rougher, darker skin, and often show healed scarring on the skin. These cultivars are harder to find and probably less profitable for commercial growers, but they consistently win on flavor. For ripeness, darker skin always wins between any two poms of equal character.

The other two rules go for any pom. First, the bruise test. If you feel any distinct bruising in the skin, put it down and look for another. As long as seeds aren't ruptured, these things will last for months. As soon as they're bruised and seeds pop, they start rotting from the inside out and can just ruin your day.

Secondly, there's the tap test. Again, we're testing for loose juice, which means rot. With the pom held right to your ear, tap a few times firmly with your index finger on the pom. Rotate and repeat at several spots. You want a hollow, resonant thunk. That's your best bet that you've got a good pom.

I hope this helps someone else enjoy this wonderful, often holy fruit in its purest form.

EDIT: Slightly yellow fingertips are normal and will go away in 2-3 days. FYI.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 AM   #29
Master Chef

Wow, LMJ, I've never been instructed on how to pick a "pom" out---thanks for your great advice... I will certainly use it............
Old 11-27-2007, 03:47 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Wow, LMJ, I've never been instructed on how to pick a "pom" out---thanks for your great advice... I will certainly use it............
You're very welcome! You should be able to get them VERY fresh where you are! I'm jealous!

Tags
None