What do I do with a pomegranate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Commercial success doesn't mean you're not a hack. Uwe Boll still gets to direct movies, after all. :glare:

REALLY, though? Your fingertips don't turn yellow at all? :huh:

Mine always do, it's from something in the skin/pith that gets squeezed out while prying the fruit open.
Whoever Uwe Boll is. Sounds like some dirty word in hiding.

No, my fingers have never turned yellow but then again, I have nails and I'm not going to break one attempting to pry a piece of fruit open. Why take that time or chance? Beating the seeds out they don't turn red either.

I happen to be a big fan of Bobby's and considering he's not got hours to slowly pick seeds from a pomegranate, I think him beating it is just fine with me. Ever seen a room full of 4th graders beating pomegranates with wooden spoons? It's fun.

Everyone has their own methods. Yours work for you but they aren't the definitive "have to do it this way" method. I like mine, others like the water trick. It's preference.

No, my fingers have never turned yellow but then again, I have nails and I'm not going to break one attempting to pry a piece of fruit open. Why take that time or chance? Beating the seeds out they don't turn red either.

Ah, that explains it then.

Uwe Boll: he's a Hollywood director. Bloodrayne, Postal, etc.
Uwe Boll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, and we're each free to proselytize for our preference. I'll do so vociferously for mine. ;)

The Bobby Flay thing, well, if he entertains you, great. I don't want to drag the thread into an argument about him, my opinion's out there and we could have an entire thread devoted to celebrity chefs we love or hate (actually, there probably are quite a few). :sleep:

Yeah no kidding! 2 pages on the ins and outs and overs and unders of pomegranites!

And still it sits on the counter.......

Ah, that explains it then.

Uwe Boll: he's a Hollywood director. Bloodrayne, Postal, etc.
Uwe Boll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, and we're each free to proselytize for our preference. I'll do so vociferously for mine. ;)

The Bobby Flay thing, well, if he entertains you, great. I don't want to drag the thread into an argument about him, my opinion's out there and we could have an entire thread devoted to celebrity chefs we love or hate (actually, there probably are quite a few). :sleep:
Actually we couldn't. The forum frowns on the putting down of Food Network stars.

And what religion are you trying to convert me to?

proselytize \PROS-uh-luh-tyz\, intransitive verb:
1. To induce someone to convert to one's religious faith.

Last edited:
Like Kitchenelf said watch the juice because they really stain your clothes. Pomegranate
jelly is really growing in popularity, I will be making some in january. My brother has or
had a great big tree of them and it was loaded this year, I lost out I did`nt get one piece
of fruit off that tree and alot of other people in our family was disappointed , same thing
happened to my sister and her tree. you give people permission to take some fruit then
they strip it. well I will go to the store and buy some juice.

I always cut mine into segments like an orange, dolling out a couple of segments at a time. I could make a pomegranate last for days that way when I was a kid. Sitting on the back step trying to spit the pips into the grass as I went. Ahhhh....

So I guess after all this, my DH knows a thing or 2 about the silly fruit! Who knew!
When he was a kid he lived in California awhile and would pick them on the way home from school, bang 'em open, and get home covered red for his poor single dad to fight the stains! Knowing the man (rest his soul):angel: my guess is they all just got new shirts......

Pomegranites taste like a dry, not very good orange.
Case closed.
Thanks everyone! I'm glad it was free. I'd hate to pay for that.

Yeah, they are not very good this year. The pomogranete should be Very juicy and sweet, but tangy, a hit of sourness, not like what they've got this year in Cubs'. The good pomogranete should be like a ruby. I love them.

1) It's better to get the seeds out submerged, not by beating them.
2) Pomegranates are the food of the gods, there's almost nothing you can't do with them. I've got an awesome glaze I make out of it for turkeys, just for one of a billion examples.
3) Pomegranate crops this year are very subpar. The ones I see at the store are about the size of a medium apple this year. They are supposed to be the size of a large grapefruit. I've seen some good ones this year, but it's been ahrd to find
4) They taste nothing like oranges. They are anything but dry.
5) They are so loaded with nutrients it's not even funny. THey rank right up there with cranberries in terms of their nutritional value.
6) For as good as poms are, bottled pom juice is frickin' nasty. I have never understood why.

I know this thread is about a month old, but I found an interesting recipe that calls for "pomegranate cells" and I'm just not sure where to find those (or how to get them out of the fruit). It sounds like a lot of work to get the hard seed out - but I'm sure it's well worth it. Does anyone know if there is any other way to buy just the "pomegranate cells"? I looked briefly at the grocery but ended up buying the fruit instead.

Thanks!

It only takes a few minutes to get everything out of a pomegranate. It seems more labor intensive than it is simply because it requires a couple more tools.

As to getting them pre-packaged? I'd highly recommend against it. They're not only very fragile, but also have a very short shelf life once they've been pried from the fruit casing itself.

Thanks poppinfresh! I've been opting out of anything pre-packaged since I started cooking regularly for myself. I figure if I'm going to go to the lengths of choosing my ingredients (rather than choosing a meal at a restaurant), I might as well go for the gusto!

I love pomegranates - so I will be learning some new techniques it seems!

thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom