Brining questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
I'm posting this question here because it covers more than one meat group. It seems like several times a week recently I see people brining before cooking. (Actually, with the current trend, I wouldn't be surprised to see somebody trying to brine a banana cream pie). Anyway, 1). is brining worth the effort, and 2). what meats and/or cooking methods does it work best with?

works great on pork chops, especially grilled or baked afterwards. juciest chops you'll ever eat.

HEY! I posted a reply here earlier and it isn't here! Mudbug, I said a stockpot...a BIG ONE. You need something big enough that the liquid will entirely cover your bird. So, either a HUGE ziploc bag (don't think they make em that big) or a stock pot.

Stock pot, pot from a BIG crock pot, or... A new, clean plastic bucket or trash bin from the local 'Mart.

Hetfy bag'll leak. You don't wanna go the bag route.

Anyone have a 'recipe' for the brine, and how do you decide how long to brine (e.g pork chop vs a turkey)?

I will never again cook chicken, turkey, or pork chops without first brining as long as I have the time. I find it does a lot of the taste, texture, and juiciness of the meat.

Otter, I do not measure anything in mine and all I use (for chicken at least) is salt and water. I just go by taste. For chicken breasts I try to make the brine taste "pleasantly salty". Basically I try to make it taste a little less salty than the ocean. You should be able to take a little brine in your mouth and not have to spit it right out because it is so salty. I keep my breasts in the brine for 2 hours. I would go 3 max, but not longer than that. I find 2 hours works just right for me. Some people also put sugar in their brine. I have tried this with pork chops and it works great. It does not make them sweet. I have not tried this with chicken yet, but I will soon. I think I would start with about half as much sugar as salt. Give brining a shot. It might take a little trial and error to get your proportions and timing right, but it is well worth it.

One great thing about brining is that you have a lot more leeway in the temp you cook your chicken to. I have pulled breasts off the grill that read 185 (has too much to drink and forgot I was cooking) and these brined breasts were so juicy and delicious you would never know they were overcooked.

The only reason I just use a simple salt water brine is that I can get real lazy. If you are not as lazy as me then a brine is a great place to throw in some herbs. Whatever you like can work here.

My wife and I did a taste test once. I have one breast that was brined and one that was not. We made a stir fry and mixed all the bite size chicken pieces together in one dish. It was obvious which was which when we were eating it. We ended up fighting over who got the good (brined) chicken :)

Brining isn't a lot more work..just one more step that is worth it w/chicken and turkey..
A basic brine recipe for a chicken approx 3.5 - 4.5 lbs
8cups water
1/2c kosher salt
1/2c sugar

stir to combine
***add chicken breast side down****
Its the white meat that your most concerned with..so dont worry if whole chicken is not covered.
Brine approx 1.5 - 2 hrs.
Rinse chicken and dry well before proceeding w/your recipe...DO NOT ADD MORE SALT!!
Many different seasonings can be added to a brine and the flavors will be absorbed.
I only add sugar to brine if oven roasting not pan roasting the chicken as when browning the chicken in the pan there may be burning, but w/oven roasting it will help give your chicken a golden skin.
The same concept holds for turkey..but lots more water, salt sugar...seasonings etc...lots more brining time(up to overnite)
Two good turkey recipes come from FN Alton Brown..Best Eats Turkey and Wolfgang Pucks turkey..they are worth looking at as they will give you more brining ideas!
Hope this helps some more...

Just to add to chez suz, I use brown sugar. Probably no one else could taste the difference, but I prefer the taste.

LOL, probably got a Hefty bag and some brown sugar somewhere too...now all you need is a chicken!

Got the chicken too. It's resting comfortably in the freezer.

(Why am I flashing on that Richard Pryor routine where he's in divorce court and the judge says, "Got any dreams? We want them too!")

I have never brined anything, except when making pickles. But after reading this thread, I guess I have a reason now for having saved those 60qt Vollrath stainless steel pots I keep in the garage!

Maybe I will brine my turkey this year.

Boy, am I a nut. I would have to brine a half dozen turkeys to use those big 60 quart pots. I wasn't thinking!

Brining frozen meat?

Question, have never brined before but want to today.. Can I put my bnls. pork sirloin chops in the brine still frozen ? Thanks

Last edited:
Barb L. said:
Question, have never brined before but want to today.. Can I put my bnls. pork sirloin chops in the bring still frozen ? Thanks

No. It won't work if they are frozen. Brining is based on transfer of liquid from the brine into the cells of the meat and that can't happen if the meat is frozen.

Some people defrost and brine at the same time, as the meat thaws it starts to pull the brine in. I have found that to be a pretty "iffy" process timing wise. You don't know how long to keep the meat in the brine.

IMO you are better off quick thawing the chops and then brining for 2 hours or so.

Barb L. said:
Question, have never brined before but want to today.. Can I put my bnls. pork sirloin chops in the bring still frozen ? Thanks

Brining is an exchange of liquids between the meat being brined and the brine itself. If the meat is frozen, that exchange will not take place.

Edited to add: GET OUT OF MY HEAD JENNY!

Back
Top Bottom