"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 09-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Executive Chef

A very quick cheese sauce is equal parts of butter and flour - heated til it comes together good = heat milk to scald point. pour all of it into a blender and add whatever kind of cheese you like along with some ground mustard, salt and white pepper. It never fails.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:40 PM   #12
Master Chef

cook your bechamel 20 minutes.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
cook your bechamel 20 minutes.
You need only cook bechemel sauce until it thickens properly and the flour is cooked out. This generally takes only a few minutes.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
You need only cook bechemel sauce until it thickens properly and the flour is cooked out. This generally takes only a few minutes.

nope, that's cornstarch. bechamel needs to cook 20 minutes. we learned that awhile ago in school.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
Master Chef

Goodness - all these instructions for what has to be one of the easiest sauces on the planet.

The only thing I see that might be hindering you is not bringing your milk/roux mixture hot enough before adding your cheese.

I make this VERY frequently & use 1 tablespoon of plain flour added to 1 tablespoon of melted unsalted butter. I stir it over medium heat for a couple of minutes & then add in 1 cup (or more, depending on how thick I want my sauce) of milk (or 1/2 & 1/2 or cream) & raise the heat to bring the mixture JUST to a boil, stirring CONSTANTLY, & then immediately drop the heat back down to medium, continuing to stir as the mixture thickens. I then start adding my cheese, a handful at a time, & continue stirring until the cheese is blended in. A few dashes of grated nutmeg & I'm done.

I'm no guru, but so far, after making this for well over 30+ years, I've never had one separate or curdle.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #16
Master Chef

breezy, this place is called disusscooking for a reason. we discuss cooking.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #17
Master Chef

Yes - but 2 pages of posts re: a problem with "white sauce" is, in my book, enough to scare the OP from ever trying to make it again!! Something I wouldn't want to see happen because it's so unnecessary.

That's way beyond "discussing". And she didn't ask for a discussion; she just wants to know how to correct the sauce. Introducing stuff like cornstarch (Bechemel here in the U.S. is made with FLOUR), onions, cook for 20 minutes, yadayadayada, isn't answering her original question at all. It's just going against every basic recipe in every cookbook. This isn't making things easier for the OP, just harder.

When it comes to white sauce (aka Bechamel for gourmets), there are only 3 things that could be happening here:

1) Not enough heat for the liquid to thicken before adding the flavoring (cheese, in this case).

2) Not enough liquid (if the mixture is ultimately too thick) before adding the cheese.

3) Not stirring constantly throughout the process.

That's literally IT. No need for onions/vegetables, blenders, cornstarch (again - a true Bechemel here in the U.S. is made with flour, not cornstarch), or whatever. And "Bechemel" does not HAVE to definitively "cook for 20 minutes". I don't care what "school" told you that. It cooks until it's finished - that could be 10 minutes; it could be 20; it could be 30. If you stick to dictates like that, you're going to stifle your cooking. And Jennyema is perfectly correct - it only takes maybe 2-4 minutes for the flour/butter roux to cook properly. You don't want it brown, just slightly cooked to remove the raw taste of the flour.

She asked a basic question. And the answer is/was in the process. Her ingredients were just fine as is.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #18
Master Chef

i'm not in the mood to argue. you wanna be correct, fine by me. my day is bigger than arguing with people. i'm sure your post was interesting; i didn't really care enough to read it in its entirety.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #19
Sous Chef

The reason there's 2 pages of post is because there are so many so called or self styled "chefs" on this website and every one of them has an opinion. She asked for help and that's what she got. She called it a bechemel in the first place so she has some knowledge and I think she's had some really good answers here.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
Sous Chef

luvs, clear some space in your PM's so that you can receive a PM from me. Ok?