"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 02-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Smile Grating, peeling, ...

I've bought enough tomatoes to know plenty come hard as a rock, would be no problem to grate as described. I wouldn't want to use extra-ripe - which likely would not grate too well, so chop them.

Either way, you're cooking them which really enhances the flavor. This dish sounds really good. Makes me want to leave the office now and there is always that dinner dilemma ...

Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike View Post
A Sephardi favorite. No Middle Eastern restaurant menu is complete without it, though Hungarians also delight in this dish with the addition of lots of paprika. Leshakshek means "to shake" in Hebrew. Every cook from North Africa has his or her own personal version of this egg and tomato dish.

1 lg. onion (finely chopped)
4 eggs
cooking oil
6 medium tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

In a large frying pan, saute onion until lightly browned. Grate tomatoes on largest holes of a grater. Mix grated tomatoes and onion, cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes. Remove cover and break eggs over the surface. Stir gently to break yolks, cover and cook for about 3 or 4 minutes until eggs are set. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Variations: One minced garlic clove may be added to the onion, or 3 to 4 slices of red pimento may be sauteed with the onion.

I had it for breakfast today

Mike
Oh my gosh, my mom used to make this for me when I was a kid. I loved it and forgot all about it til now. She made it exactly the way you do except she used butter instead of oil. I remember her crushing the tomatoes rather than grating them. We are Italian by the way.
I have some beautiful tomatoes I bought today and will have this for breakfast tomorrow morning for sure. Just out of curiosity I'm going to try grating the tomatoes. LOL.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
Head Chef

Am intrigued by the tomato - egg recipe. Sounds like the grating would be similar to tossing some coarsely cooked tomatoes into a food processor and pulsing a couple of times.

Am confused about the eggs though. Don't understand how much to maul the ova. Does this become a tomato dish topped by fried eggs with broken yolks?

I guy I don't really understand how much to mix up the eggs after the yolks are broken.

Sounds great though.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #24
Senior Cook

I have always cut the tomatoes in half and not used the skins but this guy does it differently and I will try his recipe.

I knew that people often used bell peppers or even chile peppers but I'm not sure what the powder is. It is hot (spicy) ....

I love the way he breaks the eggs both before he adds them and then at the end :-)

The dish is called 'Shakshuka'.

There are recipes on the web that use tomato paste but I don't know anyone that would even think of using it.

I see that I'm not yet allowed to post urls so do a Google seach for - Dr. Shakshuka Yaffo Tel Aviv and you'll see the Shakshuka recipe.

Some of the comments are amazing :-)

Mike

Mike
Old 02-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Is there a special tomato involved? All the tomatoes I've used would never grate they'd just squish.
I have always cut them in half and grated them with the cut side against the grater and then thrown away the skins.

I have given a "link" in a later post and 'yes' if you grate the tomatoes you end up with what you'd end up with by liquidizing them except that they're courser.

I have given a 'link' in a later post to how a professional does it and I will try his way.

Mike
Old 02-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #26
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Am intrigued by the tomato - egg recipe. Sounds like the grating would be similar to tossing some coarsely cooked tomatoes into a food processor and pulsing a couple of times.

Am confused about the eggs though. Don't understand how much to maul the ova. Does this become a tomato dish topped by fried eggs with broken yolks?

I guy I don't really understand how much to mix up the eggs after the yolks are broken.

Sounds great though.
I don't think it matters much whether you just break the yolks and mix lightly into the tomato/onion mixture or scramble the eggs and pour over. It's the combination of ingredients that makes the dish. I had this for breakfast this morning and it was heaven. I scramble the eggs very lightly then pour them over the tomato mixture and mix just a little bit. Wow. Give it a try. I topped this one with a little Tabasco sauce.