Ground vs Chopped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a difference. I don't think they sell chopped beef, just ground. You have to chop up beef with a knife to get chopped. Ground is put through a grinder.
Well, they do sell precooked chopped bbq. They probably use to call it chopped before all the truth in packaging and advertising stuff. lol

Last edited:
Well how 'bout that. I live in Erie County. Good to know we're known for something :LOL:
Don't tell YT, though.... he'll have to add hamburger to his very short list of American "dishes". Right next to KFC :LOL:

I remember eating out and ordering "chopped sirloin" a lot when I was a kid. I don't remember it being any different than a hamburger patty, except it was served sans the bun and with beef gravy :huh:

hamburger is German actually, "Hamberg" ring any bells?

Nice try though :P

My bad. I guess I misunderstood the article Uncle Bob posted :(
I have heard of Rottweil, Germany though..... Famous for Great Danes, Boxers..... some kind of dog.... :rolleyes:

Bill, cqn't help you out. Grew up in Brooklyn and ground beef was known to one and all, even butchers, as chopped chuck. Although it wasn't chopped and a lot of it wasn't chuck.

Some stores would sell some meat with less fat as ground round or sirloin. But the term was chopped. Don't know if that term was used in the rest of the five boroughs - but as you said it sure was in the county of Kings.

Well Caine.... I'm not too far from Erie County, NY either..... or the town of Hamburg, NY. I'll take credit for it anyway ;)

Well Caine.... I'm not too far from Erie County, NY either..... or the town of Hamburg, NY. I'll take credit for it anyway ;)

You can have credit for the burgers. I was looking for somebody to accept responsibility for the flood, actually.

Ground meat is processed in a grinder ... it produces a fine mince (I think that in the UK ground meat is called minced meat - eh, YT?). Minced or ground - it's a fine mince. Chopped meat is, as the name implies, chopped and is generally not as fine textured as ground or minced. A cousin of chopped is "chipped" - which is more "flaked" than chopped or minced.

Back to the original question:

justplainbill said:
Was there a time when hamburger meat was referred to as chopped meat?

What is hamburger meat? Hamburger (as labeled in the US meat markets/grocery stores) these days is generally analogous to "fatty ground scrap meat" (70/30) - but you can make a hamburger out of chipped, chopped, minced, or ground meat - and from different cuts like lean cuts of sirloin or fillet.

When I was a kid (and you have to take into consideration California, Utah, Nevada, Germany, Florida and France and maybe I'm forgetting some) we called all ground beef "hamburger" (yes, even in Germany). Chopped beef was a roast or steak or something we took home and chopped ourselves. Then there was cubed steaks. Just goes to show you regional differences.

Back
Top Bottom