Making mayo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I basically use Alton Brown's recipe, with changes depending on my mood or what I might have on hand:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_16262,00.html

I have used canola oil to good effect. I also hear using nut oils can impart interesting flavors, but I have yet to try it.

Also, all of that manual labor involved in the whisking and the slow streaming of the oil? Forget about it. Use a stand blender or a handheld stick blender and you can stream the oil in faster and get a stable emulsion going. As much as I like Alton, he sometimes gets way too hung up on the process, in my opinion. You still want to stream the oil in, though, rather than just dump it in all at once. I use a squeeze bottle I found at a beauty supply shop for a dollar.

Last edited:
just get some egg yolks going in the blender or whisk them upin a bowl, masterazn, and slowly stream in some salad oil, add a little seasalt and fresh-cracked black pepper, some garlic, a little splash of white vinegar, and some wasabi.
you can whisk it instead, if you want. i prefer to make it by hand but it's definately easier in the blender.

You could also give this one from Julia Child's French Chef show a try.

Mayonnaise

3 Egg Yolks
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice OR
1/2 tsp Vinegar
1/4 tsp Dry Mustard

1/2 tsp Salt
2 C Oil

Beat the eggs, lemon juice, mustard and salt completely until the are thick and sticky, about 1-1½ minutes.

While continuing to beat the eggs, drizzle the oil into the eggs a few drops at a time. Proceed very slowly at first, increasing the rate of pouring in the oil gradually. Don’t stop mixing or pouring in the oil for the first half cup of oil or until the mixture thickens noticeably.

Continue mixing in the oil until you have added up to two cups.

If necessary, adjust the lemon or vinegar to taste.

thanks.

i heard that if you making a huge batch you can cook the egg yolks by whisking the yolks in hot water.

masteraznchefjr said:
thanks.

i heard that if you making a huge batch you can cook the egg yolks by whisking the yolks in hot water.

I've never tried that. If you are concerned about raw eggs, you could buy pasteurized eggs.

Things to add to your mayonnaise: (these are all to add to 2/3 of a cup of mayo)

- Cucumber: 1 small pared, diced cuke
- Hawaiian: 3 Tbsp. Pineapple Juice
- Cream: 2/3 c. light or heavy cream, whipped.
- Curry: 1/4 tsp. curry
- Herb: 2 tsp. chopped chives and 1 Tbsp. minced parsleyl
- Chili: 3 Tbsp chili sauce
- Snappy: 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp. chopped chives, 3 dashes Tabasco
- Swiss: 1/4 c. finely-slivered swiss cheese and a few caraway seeds

masteraznchefjr said:
thanks.

Check your local library for a copy of Cookwise by Shirley Corriher. If you're serious about cooking this is one book worth having in your own personal library (in other words - buy a copy).

You don't have to be making a BIG batch of mayo to heat the yolks to kill the threat of bugs. And - you'll learn all the secrets that Alton Brown used in his recipe (guess where he got it). Also, you'll learn why freezing the egg yolks for 24-hours makes a better mayo.

I would type it in for you but to include everything is about 10+ pages.

Michael in FtW said:
Check your local library for a copy of Cookwise by Shirley Corriher. If you're serious about cooking this is one book worth having in your own personal library (in other words - buy a copy). .

AMEN! It's a terrific book. And she is a terrific lady.

Home made Mayo

I like using home made mayo when ever I have the time. Pretty sure this basic recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens. I make this in a mixer.

1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 cups vegetable oil

In your mixing bowl, whisk together salt, egg yolks and lemon juice. While mixer is on high begin to slowly drizzle the vegetable oil. Begin with using a spoon to drizzle and as you acquire volume you can slowly pour (still like a drizzle) into blender bowl. Continue until you have added all the oil. Whip on high until it resembles Mayo.

We have experimented at fairly great length with this recipe adding herbs and spices. Using as a base for salad dressings. Adding boiled potato to add texture. This recipe for mayo is a good base for a lot of other recipes that require mayonnaise. You can flavor it however you like, try a little roasted garlic or rosemary, whatever you like.

Bryan
Knox Spice Co.
http://www.knoxspice.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom