Peanut Butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drome

Assistant Cook
What substitutes are there for peanut butter in cooking ? I am quite allergic to all things peanut.

What about other types of nut butters? are you allergic to them? cashew butter, almond butter, etc?

if you're not allergic to cashews, you can easily make cashew butter in a food processor with just a bit of oil added.
But, under the assumption you are, can you tell us what type of recipes you need to change so we can figure out some substitutions for you?

It would all depend on what you are making also. I know certain times people use peanut butter in place of tahini. Depending on the recipe you could probably do the opposite and use tahini in place of peanut butter.

You can also try soy "peanut" butter. I like the taste and the consistency is pretty close.

htc said:
You can also try soy "peanut" butter. I like the taste and the consistency is pretty close.

That's one I hadn't heard of .... SoyNut Butter. Does it really have a taste and texture similar to peanut butter?

Learn something new around here every day!

I really like it and used to eat it on toast all of the time. I don't buy it too often anymore because I can eat regular pb and the soy stuff costs a little more. If you do end up trying it, see if your local Kroger carries it. I found that at natural and low carb stores, you'll pay a lot more for it.

I've never cooked with it.

You got to try this product, it's called Pea Butter. It has the smell, texture and taste of peanut butter. My wife is allergic to all nut products but we found this awhile back and she's hooked on it. We live it Canada and get it at the grocery store right next to the real peanut butter.

Just a little note if you have kids. Most of the kids I know who have tried LOATHE it. I was hoping my kids would like this as they go to a nut free school, but no dice. It was described as disgusting. I then pawned it off on a friend who has 5 kids (who eat ANYTHING) and they wouldn't touch it either. LOL, just so you know.

Use Tahini, instead. It's almost the same consistencey as peanut butter, but it's made from sesame seeds, instead. You can find it in middle eastern stores or in the 'ethnic' aisle in your supermarket.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom