"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques

Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #61
Senior Cook

thats what i say ....thank you for the help. I called someone else that has a simmer thing,but hers is a push button above the burner and she cant do anything either except what i mentioned.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #62
Senior Cook

we got thinking and if the simmer burner was working the way it should.... would we still see the small bubbles breaking or would it be different ? If we get a new stove with this option would like to know what we should expect. dont mean to drag this on.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The temperature for simmering varies from dish to dish. The type of pot you use can have an effect, as well as if you use a lid or not.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #64
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
we got thinking and if the simmer burner was working the way it should.... would we still see the small bubbles breaking or would it be different ? If we get a new stove with this option would like to know what we should expect. dont mean to drag this on.
Depends on the size of the burner, the size of the pot and how much is in it.

The way it should work is once you get it fully boiling. You move it to the simmer burner and adjust the heat level so you are seeing a simmer in the pot. Keep in mind that it can take fifteen minutes for a pot to adjust.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #65
Senior Cook

thank you again
Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The temperature for simmering varies from dish to dish. The type of pot you use can have an effect, as well as if you use a lid or not.
Altitude also plays a part.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #67
Senior Cook

simmer define in a recipe

something just occurred to me....if we have to adjust the setting on the stove to get the ingred. in the pan to simmering ,than how does a slow cooker adjust to it,(yes i know it has a high and low) but if it takes us time to fiddle on the stove to get to a simmer....than how does slow cooker do it? Sorry if this is dumb to advance cookers,but i don't get it. Also, on the dial on a stove it has simmer by low if i put any thing on there it just keeps it warm,why do they put it on there,bec. i cant use it for nothing but warming stuff. NOT talking about simmer burner,but simmer on the dial of low,medium and high. I hate to take up your time on this but i don't know or have a brain fog going on. thanks ahead of time.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #68
Certified Pretend Chef

It's just the stove maker trying to be helpful. They probably did some testing and found that, for a specific set of circumstances, that was a good setting. They may have used a smaller pot with a smaller amount of ingredients.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #69
Senior Cook

guys,need your help what happen...got up this morning to make a big pot of chili brought to boil reduce to simmer which on the stove was medium, worked out ok the chili went up at 6 a.m. and checked it at 7..ok later about 10 still ok and later check still ok simmering but at 2 p.m. found it not simmering no more now more of a boil ,(no lid) so that didnt do it. I thought the whole idea on simmering was to simmer stuff for a period of time with out worrying about it. Any ideas what went wrong?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #70
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

When simmering for long periods, you should always at least partially cover to retain the heat. By leaving it uncovered for so long you lost the heat that kept it at a steady simmer.

Tags
in, recipe