Grilling advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Virgadamo

Assistant Cook
Steve Virgadamo celebrating the end of a long winter. Back to back near 70 degree days in Ct, time to fire up the grill today. I'd like to prepare entire meal on grill. Looking for advice and recipes to marinate and grill chicken, other menu items include fresh veggies. What will grill well and how should I prepare.

Thank you,

Steve Virgadamo
:chef:

Hi, Steve. We're going to be grilling today, too. The temp will be heading up to 80! :)

Check this thread for ideas on grilling veggies: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f18/favorite-way-for-tasty-fresh-veggies-89715.html

I also just posted a recipe for Grilled Lemon Chicken Kebabs, which is also linked from the thread above.

A really simple dish I make sometimes is to brush pork chops with a mixture of about 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard and 1/2 tsp. dried or 1 tsp. fresh thyme, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then grill. Or you can grill a steak with just salt and pepper, then top it with a compound butter or steak sauce or chimichurri sauce, which is a Peruvian sauce made with red wine vinegar and parsley (there are variations, but that's my favorite).

Grilled fruit for dessert is delicious! Pineapple, peaches and nectarines are really good. You can brush them with maple syrup or balsamic vinegar for extra flavor.

If you have other questions, just ask :) We have lots of enthusiastic grillers here.

Going even more simple with this one. Pork chops seasoned simply with salt and pepper. Whole sweet potatoes, 1 per person. Grilled asparagus spears.

Get grill situated with a solid bed of charcoal, or use all burners. Microwave the sweet spuds for 5 minutes while the grill is getting hot. Wash the asparagus.

Combine vinegar and a tbs. or so of oil in a plastic zipper bag. Add the asparagus and shake to coat. Place the chops directly over the fire, with the sweet spuds to the side, not directly over the heat. Place the asparagus onto a patch of aluminum foil on the other side of the chops. Cover and cook for 4 minutes. Flip the chops, cover, and cook 4 more minutes. Check to make sure the juices are running clear on the pork chops. If needed, close the lid and cook another couple of minutes. Remove all and serve.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hi Steve, and welcome to Discuss Cooking. Sometimes we talk endlessly about grilling. I'm fairly new to the method as my late husband did all the grilling, but my new husband of 7 years does none. He claims I'm better at it than him..clever man that he is.

You'll have lots of response to your post on the subject and when they run out you can always go here, where there's an endless amount to read...
Cooking on the Grill - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Steven Virgadamo - first grilling day 2014

It was delightful to be with Virgadamo's for first grilling day of 2014. The counsel many here provided Steven Virgadamo helped to create a meal of balsamic chicken breasts, grilled asparagus, roasted red peppers and warm roasted potato salad.

Include a fine Chardonnay and it was memorable.

Thank you ..... I am looking for recipes on grilling other vegetables. Any help is appreciated.

Steven Virgadamo:chef:

Steve, I'm very happy your first day of grilling for this season was a success. I have a favor to ask. Could you please stop announcing yourself in every post. Use the pronouns; I, me, etc. It will make you sound more natural.

Example: "I have a favor to ask." Or, I could have written; "Chief Longwind has a favor to ask."

Even in the first phrase of my last sentence, I could have written: "Chief Longwind could have written; "Chief Longwind has a favor to ask."

I would sound very pompous without the use of pronouns. My sentences would also be more difficult to read.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Gas grills are used more frequently because they are easier to use. Electric grills are not very common at all but would also get used more frequently because of ease of use.

Charcoal requires more effort and expertise to get the right fire temperature and duration.

As to which you should use, I would say you should get a gas grill for your first grill and get accustomed to using it properly. If you find you really enjoy grilling and want to expand your horizons, buy a charcoal grill and go from there.

Buy both. Start small and see which you prefer.
It is easy to duplicate the taste of charcoal on a gas grill by adding wood, chips, or even charcoal itself I imagine, over a burner. You'll get close anyway. And of course gas gives you more control of your heat source. You can only get so indirect with a charcoal grill and still have your food inside the grill. That can come in handy when cooking a lot of different items.
But there's nothing like the extra effort a charcoal grill gives you. It's harder to use at first, which IMO makes it more rewarding. I use the charcoal grill for special items, but then rarely cook the whole meal on the grill.

... I am looking for recipes on grilling other vegetables...
We enjoy zucchini and/or summer squash on the grill. I like to cut them in half or thirds lengthwise, depending on how fat around they are. I do try to look for the smaller ones. I bring a pot of water to boil, slip the cut squashes into the water, then drain about a minute later. Just enough "cooking" to brighten up their color. I then pat them dry and brush them with any old salad dressing we have in the refrigerator. I like Ken's Lite Caesar and Lite Northern Italian the best.

I like my Weber charcoal grill and my little hibachi. We've had a couple gas grills over the years, but they were too fiddly, and something or other always managed to rot out or rust. And I like playing with fire too...

A nice extra for a charcoal grill is a chimney. You shove a couple sheets of newspaper in its bottom, light, and voila, no need for lighter fluid.

I like my Weber charcoal grill and my little hibachi. We've had a couple gas grills over the years, but they were too fiddly, and something or other always managed to rot out or rust. And I like playing with fire too...

A nice extra for a charcoal grill is a chimney. You shove a couple sheets of newspaper in its bottom, light, and voila, no need for lighter fluid.

I cheat when lighting my charcoal. These are the steps, in order to get that charcoal hot, in any configuration, in about 7 to 10 minutes time, from when the first flame is applied. There is not chemical or fuel flavor from starting fluids, and it's way faster than a chimney. Plus, it gets rid of unwanted material from my home.
1. I pull both grates out, put four crumpled sheets of advertisement newsprint around the bottom (after knocking the ashes out and opening the vents fully)
2. Douse the paper with old cooking oil until it's saturated.
3. Place the first grate over the paper.
4. Configure the charcoal for direct heat, indirect heat, smoking.
5. Use a long match, or lighter to ignite the paper.
6. place the top grate in place to allow the flames to burn off any food particles.
7. Prepare the food for grilling/barbecuing/smoking.
8. Lightly brush the top grate to clean off any ash.
9. cook your food.

By the time you prep your food for cooking, the grill will be hot. You also have a way to get rid of old cooking oil without clogging you drain pipes, or having to deal with oil or paper disposal. There is no petroleum flavor from lighter fluid. This technique get the charcoal lit and hot quickly, in about the same time as it takes to heat up a gas grill.

Just thought I'd share.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I miss my old charcoal Weber in the worse way! My gas grill is very convenient but there's nothing that can replace the flavor from a charcoal grill in my opinion. On the other hand with a beginner griller, gas would be better to learn on because of heat control.

Chimneys rule. They are so fast I can't believe I used lighter fluid 30 years ago... unless they didn't have chimneys yet and I just liked playing with fire.

Chimneys rule. They are so fast I can't believe I used lighter fluid 30 years ago... unless they didn't have chimneys yet and I just liked playing with fire.

Pac, I don't think they sold chimneys 30 years ago but my late husband always used a 5 lb coffee can and used a church key to make holes around the bottom rim. It worked like a charm. Come to think of it, I don't think you could find a coffee can that big anymore.

Back
Top Bottom