Pork shoulder, bone in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoutmaster351

Assistant Cook
has anyone ever cooked a pork shoulder on a camp out. I was thinking about how that could be done without a grill or a smoker.

A pork shoulder is a cut you would cook low and slow. That's hard to do over a campfire. You could cube it and make a stew with beans and veggies.

i agree with low and slow. would i wrap in aluminum foil? the good part about this cut is it has some fat to keep the meat moist.

i agree with low and slow. would i wrap in aluminum foil? the good part about this cut is it has some fat to keep the meat moist.

You could definitely wrap in foil. Depending on the size should take somewhere around 3 - 5 hours. It still needs to be cooked low and slow. If you cube it you'll just have to check for doneness. If the flames are right under it move it off to the side a bit and keep turning or build a fire around it, not directly under it.

Rub with oil, salt, pepper, and that should do it!

You could also teach the kids how to make a VERY simple BBQ sauce. Just mix equal parts of Coca Cola and ketchup and heat until a bit thicker. They can use that as their sauce.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom