"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 08-21-2006, 12:21 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

I am sick I ate so much I ended up having a huge pile of pork. Enough to feed some pretty hungry appetites. There were 7 adults, 2 kids, and my 13month old girl, which by the way loved her daddy's pulled pork!!!! There was enough for most to have seconds and I have a big bag of left overs to boot!

I let it go till about 195 or so (Temp taken from a few different places - thanks Gretchen) which was around 6:30pm and it was great. It could have been done a bit more (205) but it still pulled nice...WOW!!!!....What a full day that was. I took pictures throughout the day and as soon as I get it figured out how to post them I will.

It all started off at 5:00am with a large Tim's coffee black (had to do something while I waited for smoke!) - Had to make a return trip once I had the temp set and the butt on.

Here is what I ended up with for a menu

#1 - Mennonite Farmer sausage cut up into bit sized pieces for starters

#2 - Pulled pork with fresh kaiser buns along with 3 different kinds of mustard and two different BBQ sauces (I wanted to make my own but ran out of time ) so I used Tony Roma's Carolina Honey and Regular which were both alright.

#3 - Roasted potatoes (red and gold - the small ones) cut in half tossed in some nice olive oil, salted, and a bunch of fresh rosemary on top.

#4 - Corn on the cob roasted on the grill husks on. Soaked them for about 2 hours prior.

#5 - Grilled Pineapple marinated in maple syrup, fresh cinnamon, & freshly ground cloves. These were cut and pored over some Bryer's double churned vanilla ice cream and topped with the left over marinade....Mmmm...This almost beat the pulled pork....

#6 - Homemade apple strudel topped with the same above said ice cream (thanks Mom!!!)

So, after all that I would like to thank everyone for their advice. I will most definitely learn from this first, and hope to share with others as well. The smile on everyone’s faces when they ate this stuff was priceless. I can't wait to do it again.

It's now 10:30pm and I'm hitting the sack (after a nibble of some more PP of course!)

G'nite.

Keith

Old 08-21-2006, 05:36 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Glad to hear everything turned out so well. Nothing like the satisfaction of making so many people happy.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:43 AM   #33
Assistant Cook

That's great. I find kids even eat more BBQ--what's not to like about sweet meat! It is a winner meal. When using commercial BBQ sauces I often suggest thinning them about half with vinegar and you have something closer to the tomato based Carolina BBQ sauces. If folks haven't grown up with the hot peppery vinegar sauces of Eastern NC, it is hard for them to "understand" this as being "BBQ sauce"--that would be me too!!
Your menu sounds delicious. Add some slaw next time (unless everyone just hates it). Congratulations.

Crest, let me add, next time you do it you can do it at about 250*. It just should not go above that because then you are "roasting" which will tighten the proteins and not allow the "melting" of the collagen. The other thing is to allow that big piece of meat to come to room temp. That will cut your cooking time down.
I basically never take the meat's temp, although for your first time it was a good learning exercise, I think. I just know by the look and feel of the meat that it is done--and 8 hours usually does it just right.

Lexington Coleslaw
Old 08-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #34
Master Chef

I made a 5 lb pork shoulder for pulled pork this weekend and my BIL ate about half of it. He's crazy though.

It was enough for 6 normal people, but no leftovers.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:12 PM   #35
Senior Cook

When catering a group I figure on pork butt and brisket your weight loss during the trim and cook is aprox 40%. In your case that was a 7 pounder so you'll have 2 and 3/4 pounds of finished product. If you serve 1/4 pound per serving that is 11 servings.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I know I'm way too late on this but for the pork to really pull properly it needs to reach 190 - 200 degrees internal temp. Yes, it's edible at a lower temp but not pullable. Hi Gretchen - I'm in Western NC too! I always do the same two sauces you do! lol

oops - sorry Gretchen - I didn't read all the posts - you already said this.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

I made a boston butt the end of last week. Keeping this thread in mind, I recorded some info as I went along.

Starting weight of a boneless butt - 7 lbs. 6 oz.
Ending weight of the same butt - 4lbs. 3 oz. (43% weight loss)
Cooking time in the oven at 235 F - 15 hours.
Internal temperture at completion - 200-210 F

I rubbed the butt and refrigerated it for two days in plastic wrap. Then I rubbed it again before putting it into the oven. I did not let it rise to room temp first.

I started it at 11:30 PM. The following morning I started using a mop every hour or so. I know that slowed down the cooking and that a lot of folks don't do a mop.

It shredded easily with two serving forks. and I separated it into two two-pound tubs.

Part of the first tub was dinner Friday night. It worked out to be about 1/3 pound of pulled pork per serving in a sandwich in a bulkie roll.

That works out to 12-13 servings from 4.2 pounds of cooked meat. As serving sizes are different for different people, that's not gospel, just one guideline.

I served it with my homemade BBQ sauce that SO thought was better than Bullseye in a side by side taste test.

I added a little liquid smoke to the mop. I guess I need more because the smoke flavor was not very noticeable.

Did I mention that it was "Jump up and slap yo mama!" delicious!!
Old 09-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

As a side note, I'm really tempted to buy a smoker. I have a Weber gas grill and can find no practical way of using it to smoke. The lowest gas setting on one burner keeps the grill over 350F. If I try propping up the lid to lower the temp,the temp fluctuates too much to be practical and lets any smoke out way too fast.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Andy, you won't regret getting one. The smoke flavor can't be beat.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:12 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
As a side note, I'm really tempted to buy a smoker. I have a Weber gas grill and can find no practical way of using it to smoke. The lowest gas setting on one burner keeps the grill over 350F. If I try propping up the lid to lower the temp,the temp fluctuates too much to be practical and lets any smoke out way too fast.
Hi Andy,

Wow! What Weber do you have and how old. I used to own a 3 burner Genesis before buying their Summit model. I had no problem controlling the heat and could easily keep the grill below 250 with one burner. I did a lot of indirect cooking at lower temps.