"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats

Old 08-19-2006, 01:17 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

How many ppl will this Boston butt feed?

I am going to attempt my first Boston butt on Sunday. I just finished rubbing and it's in the fridge getting happy. Now, I'm wondering if a 7.7lb bone in Boston butt will be enough for 6 adults and 2 kids? I'm now thinking not. I may have to head out bright and early to grab another and get it rubbed asap.

Thanks,

Keith

Old 08-19-2006, 01:23 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Hiya Keith and welcome to DC!!
Can you tell an ignorant Kiwi ( aka New Zealander) what a Boston Butt is please??

Ta!!

Old 08-19-2006, 03:08 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestman
Now, I'm wondering if a 7.7lb bone in Boston butt will be enough for 6 adults and 2 kids? I'm now thinking not.
I am thinking that you are thinking right. Besides the bone, there is alot of connective tissue and fat that will dissolve, when cooked. If they have small appetites you might make it, but I have my doubts.
Lyn, a pork butt is from the front shoulder of the carcass. It is a tougher cut and usually slow cooked. Great flavour, and it is what is usually used for pulled pork sammies.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:13 AM   #4
Cook

6.7# yields exactly 2# of usable meat. You'll get about 2 1/3 # which will feed your clan for sure. It looks a lot more than it is once it's shredded. Should also add that's after we've smoked it for 6 hours and then cooked it for 8 hours, so you'll probably get a little more if anything. Hope that's helpful.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

You will have PLENTY. I am not really sure about the above weight--I have never weighed a finished piece, but have made it numerous times for large crowds. That pork butt will serve 15 pretty well.
And ChefScotty is right, when it is shredded it is very "light and puffy" but when it heats up it will collapse and you may be concerned. But rest assured, it is VERY rich and VERY good. I do not agree with those that try to remove all the fat--pulled pork is a treat. You don't eat it very often and it is worth the splurge for the flavor that the fat adds MOST especially the cap that is charred.
Pork butt got its name from being stored in barrels called "butts". As has been said, it is the pork shoulder cut--the top of the shoulder. The bottom of the shoulder (into the front leg) is sometimes called the "picnic". These are fresh pork cuts.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Pork butt got its name from being stored in barrels called "butts". As has been said, it is the pork shoulder cut--the top of the shoulder. .
Wow - Tx, Gretchen - I never knew that!
Old 08-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
Head Chef

When i am not sure if I am going to have enough, I add some chicken to the selection. That way if some would rather have chicken instead, I will usually take chicken breast and cut them in quarters (so they would fit in the buns as the beef)
Old 08-19-2006, 08:38 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I remember the first one dh cooked on the grill many years ago. I don't remember the size, but I thought it was large. He and I, his brother and wife, ate it all in one meal. I was surprised there wasn't more meat. It was delicious, but just not too much.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
I remember the first one dh cooked on the grill many years ago. I don't remember the size, but I thought it was large. He and I, his brother and wife, ate it all in one meal. I was surprised there wasn't more meat. It was delicious, but just not too much.
"large" and "many years ago" are sort of inexact measurements in my opinion. I have a 3# butt in my freezer right now and it looks "large"--and maybe 4 adults could eat it all, but I think even that would be a lot of BBQ pork and I would fix it for 6 with some kids thrown in.

I have recently cooked 2 7# butts and they also looked "large" (actually VERY large). There is very little bone in these cuts--that was mentioned previously. It is a comparatively small flat bone about 4 inches long.

I did give my opinion based on a number of very recent preparations of pulled pork. And a number of times/year.
Portions of foods are usually based on amounts/weights/person/uncooked "food". If you apply that formula a 7# butt would feed an 8oz. portion to at least 14 people--and that is approximately my experience. It will feed more than that.
As I said, the meat shrinks/sort of collapses when cooked low and slow, but I don't think it loses all that much weight. There is a lot of wonderful juice that cooks out of it that can be concentrated to pour back over it if desired. And in my experience, maybe 3/4C of rendered fat.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Personally, I would cook two. That's what I did the last few times I smoked a pork butt last year, as my kids can't get enough of it (we have 5). Plus, I can do other things with the leftovers.