"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > BBQ & Smokin' Meats
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
my issue is I only have a charcoal weber kettle :) it's very hard to control the temperature. with smoked chicken though, the brined chicken can tolerate high heat pretty well (it can go above 300 inside the kettle sometimes), but I'm not so sure about the ribs. will bake-and-smoke method be able to put enough smokiness on the meat?
Here's a Youtube link for the Minion Method.

Way to smoke for 5-6 hours with this method.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OutDoor Chef View Post

I put my rub on the first thing in the morning about 2 hours before I start cooking them to guarantee no hammy tasting ribs.

Night before trim them remove the membrane.

Wrap in plastic wrap, and foil.

Next morning 3 hours before you actually throw the ribs on the cooker, take them out of the fridge. Get to room temp, Rub the ribs 2 hours before.

And as soon as you put the ribs on the smoker Sprinkle rub on the ribs again.

3 hours to smoke on the grill grate 275.f

2 hours in Foil with a 1/4 cup of apple juice, more rub.

1 hour on the grill grate again at 275. Mop with bbq sauce, let the sauce set.

Take them off the grill, Let the rest 15 minutes ( minimum resting time ).

Sprits with apple juice.

Then slice the bad boys so you get 2 bones per rib.

Done.
I have a charcoal grill so I think on the grill twice with 2 hours apart will be kind of wasteful for all the charcoal heat :) is there a way to modify this recipe so only 1 grill session is needed?

Old 07-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OutDoor Chef View Post
Here's a Youtube link for the Minion Method.

Way to smoke for 5-6 hours with this method.

hmm I'll try this method. where is the best place to put the meat on? it seems like it's hot in the middle and cold on the side in the beginning, and then the hot spot will gradually move towards the edge.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:19 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
hmm I'll try this method. where is the best place to put the meat on? it seems like it's hot in the middle and cold on the side in the beginning, and then the hot spot will gradually move towards the edge.
This is what I do all the time.

I use that method, I leave the bottom vents SHUT.

And the top vent cracked half way open.

And you want to look for THIN BLUE smoke.

And you're golden, And if you got a water pan, I would make room for the water pan and fill it up completly with Whiskey, apple juice, Water.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
my issue is I only have a charcoal weber kettle :) it's very hard to control the temperature. with smoked chicken though, the brined chicken can tolerate high heat pretty well (it can go above 300 inside the kettle sometimes), but I'm not so sure about the ribs. will bake-and-smoke method be able to put enough smokiness on the meat?
There's only one way to learn to control the heat, and that's by forging ahead. Vents will only do so much and then you need to rely on how much charcoal is lit and how much unlit charcoal it is igniting that you might also have in your grill.
The Minion method is great for long burns, but if you dump a lot of lit charcoal on top of the unlit, you are going to have very high temps starting out, increasing as more charcoal lights. You will never be able to throttle it down enough without snuffing things out.

And IMO, no, it will not pick up the same smokiness precooking them in the oven. I'm of the camp that believes your smoke is picked up in the beginning, before the meat gets to 140F. Any smoke added after that is more residual.

You could always start them on the grill with your smoke, move them into the oven after a couple hours, then sauce and finish back on the grill... but that is basically what wrapping them in foil with a liquid is for in the middle step of 3-2-1. Of course, if they aren't full racks, six hours will be way too long. You should really judge them by how flexible they are and how much bone is getting exposed.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
Master Chef

I've done ribs two ways using the Weber kettle......low and slow under 275°F, and when I'm pressed for time, 350°F for about 2.5 hours, which I think the kettle at this temp is most happy and easier to work with.
Foiled ribs have given me more tenderness for the most part but I generally do not foil them during the cook.
I usually apply rub at least a couple of hours prior to cooking.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
I have a charcoal grill so I think on the grill twice with 2 hours apart will be kind of wasteful for all the charcoal heat :) is there a way to modify this recipe so only 1 grill session is needed?
Like I said earlier, I use the indirect method with a Webber Charcoal grill, with all vents close half. I put wood on top of the two banks of charcoal and smoke the ribs, without brushing or mopping them with extra rub/sauce. Pre-cooking in the oven, or in the slow cooker makes 'em tender, and turns the rub into a glaze. And because ribs have a large amount of surface area, it doesn't take very long to make them very smoky in flavor. In fact, if you smoke them a bit too long, they can become bitter. 40 minutes tops is how long I leave them in the intensely smoky Webber. I have had nothing but rave reviews for my ribs. I use the larger spare ribs, rather than baby backs, as they have more meat.

This method also works when making pulled pork. There are those who say that what I do is just wrong. But the proof is in the eating. I cook the Boston Butt in the slow cooker overnight on low, then pull it, then place the meat into my largest cast iron pan. Fire up the Webber with a solid bed of coals, as the pan protects the meat from the direct heat, put wood on the coals, put the pan on the cooking grate and cover with the Kettle lid. I let it smoke for 15 minutes and stir. Put the lid back on for fifteen more minutes. Again, because of the large surface area of the meat, which is all exposed to the smoke, I get the flavor of a Boston Butt cooked for hours in a smoker. Tose who have eaten my pulled pork have always come back for more, and more, and more.

I am one who looks at the physics of the cooking process, and use that knowledge to get the results I want. I am always re-inventing the wheel, trying to make great food accessible to those without smokers, or special equipment, like me. You learn quickly in the engineering field that there are always alternate solutions to any problem. If you have the time and equipment to smoke ribs by the time-honored method, then by all means, do it. If you don't, you find another way. I refuse to let other people's ideas keep me from making great food, just because I don't have the means to follow their rules.

I'm sorry for the rant; and no one on this post has called me to task for my cooking methods, but it has happened before. Use the method that is most available to you. All of the methods mentioned in this thread will give you great ribs. I salute all of you for your expertise, and willingness to share what you know.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 07-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Like I said, you are going to get a lot of opinions....
Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Like I said, you are going to get a lot of opinions....
lol yea... it's hard to make a decision but I think I have made one:)

I plan to smoke the rib first until I like the color showing on it. and then I'll wrap it up with some kind of liquid and let it braise in the kettle for several hours until meat is tender. and then I'll unwrap and glaze
Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
lol yea... it's hard to make a decision but I think I have made one:)

I plan to smoke the rib first until I like the color showing on it. and then I'll wrap it up with some kind of liquid and let it braise in the kettle for several hours until meat is tender. and then I'll unwrap and glaze
Do the 3, 2, 1, method and you will have awesome ribs.

Tags
bbq