Smoked Chuck Roast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I just thought about this at work. I love beef, but haven't smoked any yet. I'd like to get a brisket and smoke it, but I'm not sure about how much one would cost, as well as what to do with ALL that meat. I was thinking that most chuck roasts are small enough that I won't be left with several pounds of extra meat, and are riddled with fat and connective tissue, making them perfect canidates for smoking.

Has anyone tried one?

DROOL!!

I've never thought of this, but it sounds fantastic!

I will serously be watching this thread for techniques on how to do it because I will be trying it. :D

~ Raven ~

I'll usually smoke & cook a Sirloin roast on the weber about once a month. I've never had a bad one yet.

Just cook it with indirect heat almost as slow as you can till you reach the recomended internal temp, normally takes me about 3 hours for a 3-4 pound roast. I'll usually only check on it once every hour to make sure theres still water in the pie tin and add about 4 coals.

When it's done, it's juicy and tender. I just wish it was tender enough to pull. I think it needs to be cooked slower but I'm not sure if thats the problemon a grill unlike in the oven.

Try it and enjoy!

AdobeFX said:
...I just wish it was tender enough to pull. I think it needs to be cooked slower but I'm not sure if thats the problemon a grill unlike in the oven. Try it and enjoy!

You have to cook a piece of meat to an internal temperature of around 200F to break down the connective tissue within the roast so it can be pulled. Slow-cooked meats usually have lots of fat and connective tissue so they will not be completely dried out by the time they reach that temp.

A chuck roast might be a better candidate than a sirloin roast for that reason.

Andy, that's exactly why I was thinking using a Chuck roast might be nice. All that fat and connective tissue....

It's a moot question, now, though, as I went and checked the price on chuck roast, and it costs twice as much per pound as pork butt.

This ought to be even better than the smoked duck. If you haven't read my reply to that post, you need to before you'll understand this one.

C'mon Allen. Let's see it again. Go go go go go...

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Here's a recipe to get you started, Allen:

Title: Marinated Hickory-Smoked Chuck Roast

2 lb Beef chuck roast, 1 1/2" thick
5 ea Cloves, garlic
1/4 c Cooking oil
1/4 c Wine vinegar
1 tb Worcestershire sauce
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Dried basil, crushed
1/4 ts Pepper
dash Hot pepper sauce

Stud roast with garlic by inserting tip of knife in meat and pushing cloves into meat as you remove kniofe. Make sure garlic closes are evenly spaced.

In bowl, mix oil, vinegar, Worcestershire, salt, basil, pepper, and hot pepper sauce. Place meat in plastic bag. Set in shallow baking dish.
Pour marinade over meat; close bag. Marinate 6-8 hours or overnight in refrigerator; turn roast occasionaly.
About an hour before cooking soak hickory chips in enough water to cover;
drain chips. Drain meat; reserving marinade. Pat excess moisture from meat with paper towel. Arrange SLOW coals around drip pan. Add hickory chips to coals. Place roast over drip pan on grill. Cover.
Grill 25 minutes per side. Brush occasionaly with marinade and add additional chips.
Season to taste; remove garlic; Serve.

But seriously folks, other great marriages to hickory smoke are maple, pineapple, apple, teryaki, chili powder and brown sugar, etc.

If the temp is kept low while smoking, you can use sweetened rubs without fear of burning the sugar. But with all smoking endeavors, you must mop or baste the meat at regular intervals. I baste every twenty minutes or so. Also, keep a small container of water in the smoker, again to help preserve moisture, and to transfer heat from the air and into the meat. Just think about how humidity makes you feel hotter when the weather is hot. That's because the water vapor is much better at transfering the heat than is dry air.

Meats to be smoked can be brined and marinated as well, preperatory to the smoking. Or you can inject the meat with flavored liquids for the same purpose.

And briskets aren't that huge, though they do tend to be pricey as there isn't a large market for them outside of Texas. most brisket is turned into corned beef, which is another great chunk of meat to smoke (I tried it and it was very good).

Just watch your temperature, baste frequently, and cook until all is tender and full flavored.

You're gonna love the results. Oh, and I want pictures of you smoking a duck, you know, the one with the burning tail feathers, heh, heh, heh.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mopping or basting may help, but it depends on the cut of meat you are cooking. Cuts with fat, butts, shoulders, etc don't really need anything but wood.

Just remember that everytime you open the cooker, you will need to add 15-30 minutes to the cook time.

But with all smoking endeavors, you must mop or baste the meat at regular intervals. I baste every twenty minutes or so.

AllenMI said:
...I'd like to get a brisket and smoke it, but I'm not sure about ... what to do with ALL that meat...
I used to smoke brisket occasionally in my Brinkmann smoker. Instead of smoking the whole thing, I would cut it in half before applying my dry rub, and freeze one uncooked half.

A few months later I would thaw & cook the other half.

Tom

When I smoke a pork butt I never use a rub or marinade - just salt, pepper, and coat with olive oil - about 1 hour or so before it's done I'll turn fat side down. I like just the smokey flavor then add more flavor through sauces.

Then I make a vinegar based sauce and a tomato based sauce.

A friend of mine cooked a brisket for about 18 hours with no mop, just a rub. After the 18 hours it had this wonderful, hard crust and you opened it up and it was falling apart tender and steamy hot - and about a 1 1/2" smoke ring yum!!!!!

Allen - I've smoked chuck roasts and they turn out great ... just remember to smoke 'em low and slow, like you would in an oven.

Brisket generally isn't very expensive (around some holidays you can catch it for 79-cents a pound) - but it can be a large piece of meat (6-10 lbs) depending on how it is trimmed. It really doesn't take any more effort to smoke a whole brisket than it does a half. Just smoke a whole one and freeze any leftovers. On Labor Day weekend my son and I will probably smoke 4-5 (depending on size) and freeze whatever we can't eat in a day or two.

A topic that seems well covered but here is 2 cents worth. Pork butts are actually the shoulder of the animal hence all the connective tissue and fat. The equivalent cut of beef would be (who woulda thunk it?) CHUCK! Let me know how it turns out and I may throw one on myself!

That's correct Bubba. When we make beef bbq, we use the chuck.

mmmmm...Smoked Meat

My family and I smoke alot of different kinds of food. Even when it comes to meat, we smoke beef, poultry, lamb, and buffalo. The week before last we smoked a tender roast using hickory chips. This week we did some turkey breast also with the hickory chips. My vote is you can pretty much put any kind of meat in the smoker and it will come out tasteing good.:)

DH is really into smoking food since we got a Bradley smoker. We've been in hot pursuit of the perfect pulled pork and the Butt roast is the best. After about 3 hours on the smoker he covered it with foil and put it on the Grill until it reached 190 degrees - nirvanna! And the rootbeer sauce rates a 10 on our scale. I suspect because of the ginger taste it would be as good on beef!

This is the sort of stuff cooks (and eaters) can get addicted to, though!

I found Pork Butt roasts at our local UGA store for a very good price - bet they also have chuck or brisket for a much better price than a regular grocery store. I freeze half of what a buy for the next time. Thanks to a Seal a Meal we enjoy pulled pork all year 'round!

Back
Top Bottom