Types and Uses for Woods for Smoking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bacardi said:
I did two racks of ribs, one I smoked for 6 hours straight and the other smoked 3-2-1...During the "two" there was no smoke. The 6 hour ribs tasted smokier for the 3-2-1...

The 6 hour straight ribs were smokier because more smoke was 'laid on the surface" not because they absorbed more smoke.....

Enjoy!

The 6 hour straight ribs were smokier because more smoke was 'laid on the surface" not because they absorbed more smoke.....

Enjoy!

That's exactly what I was getting at when I said the bark definitely picked up more of smoke flavor. "More smoke was laid on the surface".... good term, UB :)

Enjoy!

Makes sense...With that being said, countless others in dedicated smoking forums say meat can absorb smoke after 2-3 hours...

Like Raichlen, I follow the science, not the "countless others" ---

Have Fun!

But Raichlin says the same thing as countless others....2-3 hours is all the smoke the meat can absorb.

That being said, there is something to be said for the bark (or sauce should your audience want that) absorbing smoke after that....

Fanatic.....

"Countless Others" in this conversation refers to a comment Bacardi made in Post 23 in response to my comments in Post 21 --- In my comments in post 24 I was agreeing with Steven Raichlen (And science) NOT the (misinformed) "countless others" on dedicated BBQ forms --- I hope this clears up the confusion....

Fanatic.....

"Countless Others" in this conversation refers to a comment Bacardi made in Post 23 in response to my comments in Post 21 --- In my comments in post 24 I was agreeing with Steven Raichlen (And science) NOT the (misinformed) "countless others" on dedicated BBQ forms --- I hope this clears up the confusion....

Oh....OK...I get it now...sorry.

For me it's a PITA to get smoke wood. I have to haul waaaaayyyy out down one of the most annoying streets in St. Louis to get some (tons of stop lights). I have heard of a couple closer locations that sometimes have chunks of smoke wood but haven't checked yet as I loaded up on wood before hearing about those two places. I have 25 pounds of apple chunks and another 25 of apricot as well as some cherry logs my dad gave me.

So for me, I smoke for a couple hours and then I save my smoke wood for future smoke sessions.

Anyone ever use Alder? I'd never heard of the tree much less using the wood to smoke before seeing at the place I get my smoke wood?

What about citrus woods. this place carries lemon and orange wood. anyone have experience with it. I'm a huge apple/cherry fan but I am also a big fan of getting creative on the grill as can bee seen by my spiral stuffed pork loin and other strange things I have done on the grill like chicken cordon bleu and chicken spedini and crostinins

Fanatic....

You may want to check back to the Original Post - Post Number 1 by Miss Kitchenelf at the beginning of this thread...There is a great data base of smoking woods, and some suggested uses for them located in the link....

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Like Raichlen, I follow the science, not the "countless others" ---

Have Fun!

I always admit when I'm wrong, and may stand corrected here...I'll see if credible sources exist to determine if Raichlen is correct on this...One thing I just realized...Are we talking all meat period or just the relatively thin ribs?

Again, I am a Raichlen fan, but there is one thing that he says that's wrong. He always cooks his briskets hat cap up...He says this is because the fat will baste the meat...Science has disproved this doesn't happen...Many pro's even cook fat cap down...

I always admit when I'm wrong, and may stand corrected here...I'll see if credible sources exist to determine if Raichlen is correct on this...One thing I just realized...Are we talking all meat period or just the relatively thin ribs?

Again, I am a Raichlen fan, but there is one thing that he says that's wrong. He always cooks his briskets hat cap up...He says this is because the fat will baste the meat...Science has disproved this doesn't happen...Many pro's even cook fat cap down...

And if you remove the fat cap totally you have more bark..........glorious, coveted bark! :pig:

All meat.

Brisket Fat Cap UP...Fat Cap Down...One way for half the time...the other way for the other 1/2....Score the fat...don't score the fat.....

Whatever works for you!!

Bon Appetit !!!!

All meat.

Brisket Fat Cap UP...Fat Cap Down...One way for half the time...the other way for the other 1/2....Score the fat...don't score the fat.....

Whatever works for you!!

Bon Appetit !!!!

Exactly. I was in this debate with some tool on Craigslist telling me that there is only one way to BBQ and that is with hickory chunks. No charcoal. Just hickory chunks. Nothing else was allowed. The guy was a complete d-bag about it. I believe there are about a bazillian ways to grill. And I will spend the rest of my life trying to find them all!?!?!

back in 1999 I started posting about cooking brisket fat side down. It was to lower the drying effects of the heat from the cooker I was using (WSM) that was coming from below the grates. I found that the margin for error was less than cooking fat side up. I was cooking in competitions and you take every advantage you can find. When cooking on the offset we were using in those days I also found that the reflective heat from the tuning plates also had the same drying effect so cooking fat side down helped there also.

When you look at smokering I can see where someone would think that meat absorbs smoke but as Uncle Bob and others have stated the smokering is not absorbed smoke but a chemical reaction of the pigment in the meat to nitrates and nitrites in the smoke. The longer you apply smoke the stronger the flavor that is laid on the meat.

Jim

Raichlen RELIGIOUSLY BBQ's brisket fat side up and claims it's because it BASTES the meat...Science has proven basting doesn't happen...

Question --- When one uses a brush, mop, spoon, rag, spray bottle, bulb or whatever to apply a liquid to the surface of a piece of meat -- What do you call that?

Question --- When one uses a brush, mop, spoon, rag, spray bottle, bulb or whatever to apply a liquid to the surface of a piece of meat -- What do you call that?

A waste of heat and your time as meat doesn't absorb very much liquid while cooking:)

A waste of heat and your time as meat doesn't absorb very much liquid while cooking:)

Ok, I'll give you the answer .... It's called basting.

In the spirit of the Holiday Season I will not pursue this any further -- However you may find it fun to explore why basting is done, and explore the term Barding....

Have a Merry Christmas and....

Bon Appetit!!!

Ok, I'll give you the answer .... It's called basting.

In the spirit of the Holiday Season I will not pursue this any further -- However you may find it fun to explore why basting is done, and explore the term Barding....

Have a Merry Christmas and....

Bon Appetit!!!

My personal experiences led to me researching and I've determined that meat doesn't absorb much liquid. I could post several sources but seems like you will just dis-credit them. I feel the basting thing is a myth, I still hear professionals saying to "seal in the juices" by searing...Science has disproved that as well.

I'll end this with saying we agree to disagree...You have a very Merry Christmas as well! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom