48 hrs. Marinaded Tri-Tip O Yea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a question about this tool. Is it safe to use this tenderizer for hot and fast type grilling? I'm concerned about surface bacteria on a near room temp steak being carried into the meat which is only cooked to rare or medium rare.

Use the tool as soon as it comes out of the fridge.

I'm also glad to hear all this info on the tenderizing tool RF. I ordered mine the same day from Amazon, but mine isn't here yet. I also rejected the cheaper one made in China, because I can, and always will.

I'm also glad to hear all this info on the tenderizing tool RF. I ordered mine the same day from Amazon, but mine isn't here yet. I also rejected the cheaper one made in China, because I can, and always will.

Mine is a Jaccard brand, made in Buffalo NY (I just checked).

I got a generic unit and picked up a tri tip on the way home from work tonight to test this thing out.
Since I was pressed for time I used a carne asana rub and used the tenderizer tool on the roast. And I grilled it over direct heat on the kitchen grill. The tri tip came out pretty good, nice and tender. I'm sold on this little gadget. Looking back now, I should have spent a few bucks more and gotten the Jaccard unit to begin with.
Anyway, a couple of pics from tonite: ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1445924710.196049.jpgImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1445924734.258948.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Hi Ross.
Beautiful process, but it must be cooked in the oven at a temperature so hot? (325°)? It is not too high? Thanks

:clap: Good to hear RF. I can't wait to get mine delivered.:yum:
One thing for sure. I pierced the meat immediately after applying rub and immediately started grilling the cold meat. But after taking a bite out of the slice it was very flavorful, the rub worked itself into the roast very quickly. Next time I need to go very light on the rub since I usually let the tri tip sit at room temp for quite a while before grilling.

One thing for sure. I pierced the meat immediately after applying rub and immediately started grilling the cold meat. But after taking a bite out of the slice it was very flavorful, the rub worked itself into the roast very quickly. Next time I need to go very light on the rub since I usually let the tri tip sit at room temp for quite a while before grilling.

I got my meat tenderizer today. The tri tips weren't on sale today but we just had to try this out. Like you, we did a dry rub on it and then the SousChef did the piercing, actually I wasn't strong enough to do it. I covered it with plastic wrap and it's on it's way to room temp. now. I'm not at all concerned about the safety of doing that. Ross and RF, do you feel it cooks 40% faster? That's what it says on the box. I'll keep my instant read thermometer handy.

Another thing I thought of, a full tri tip is just too much leftover meat for the two of us as we want our beef rare. If you reheat it, it's just not rare anymore, so I cut it in half. The point end is in the freezer for next time.
It will also means you can control the small end from getting over done like it always does. I just can't believe I never thought of this before!

Kayelle, my tri tip did not cook 40% faster as they claim. I thought it took about the same time to grill. But it really did seem to soak up the rub rather quickly.

I always cook the whole tip as a couple of members of my family like their portions well done. The tip portions come out medium well. They still end up microwaving their portions regardless.

I also prefer to eat leftover tri tips cold. I think they taste better.....

Last edited:
Kayelle, roadfix, Ross - just thought I'd mention Albertson's is having a sale on tri tips starting tomorrow (Wednesday) for $3.88/lb untrimmed and $5.88/lb. trimmed. I'll be stocking up on a few. :)

Kay, I've cut them in half before grilling too, on occasion. I'm with you that it's a big hunk of meat for 1 or 2 people. Most of the time I go ahead and grill the whole thing and then vacuum seal half. I too like it rare, or at least between med rare and rare. I don't know if you have one or not, but have found the vacuum sealer does a bang up job - it thaws just as juicy and tender as if I'd just grilled it.

I'm not crazy about it real cold, so I usually let it set out for a bit to take the chill off, and especially love it thinly sliced on onion rolls with a horseradish and mayo blend. Oh, my goodness. :yum:

Last edited:
...Ross and RF, do you feel it cooks 40% faster? That's what it says on the box. I'll keep my instant read thermometer handy...

Cooks 40% faster?!?!? I don't think so. Sounds like marketing department hyperbole to me.

Actually, I think it did cook faster but there are so many variables, who really knows for sure. It turned out really well but I think it needs more than one pass on each side of that very dense and thick piece of meat. I'm sure glad to have a strong willing man, for more reasons and one. :wub:

You're right Ross and thanks for the subject. Feel welcome to join in all our conversations at DC. We're glad you're here.

It turned out really well but I think it needs more than one pass on each side of that very dense and thick piece of meat.
It takes a little muscle power to drive those blades into the meat. But you're right, I think it needs at least 2 passes throughout, both sides, to really make a difference.

Next week I'll try this tool on a piece of flat iron steak, one of my favorite cuts.

Back
Top Bottom