"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 03-25-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Beer Can Chicken

My DH made a beer can chicken last week. It was jucy on the inside with a nicely crisped skin. Next time, we're doing something with wine and herbs instead of beer. If you haven't tried this, please do so.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Did your DH cook it on the grill or in the oven?

Ive had it when its cooked on the grill and it was sooo good.
I tried to make it in the oven and I dont think it was as good as the grilled chicken.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
Cook

Send a message via AIM to beaulana2
I have used a can of squirt pop, and Dr. Pepper pop with excellent results
Old 04-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie
My DH made a beer can chicken last week. It was jucy on the inside with a nicely crisped skin. Next time, we're doing something with wine and herbs instead of beer. If you haven't tried this, please do so.
I've heard of this many times, but have never tried it. Can you tell me how it's done?
Old 04-08-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Here's how we do it Dancer.

Begin with about a 4-pound whole chicken. Wash and dry it. Open a can of beer. Warm beer is okay. Don't waste a cold one. Plain old average lawn mowing beer is fine. Save the good stuff to drink.

Pour off or drink about one third of the beer. Put as many openings in the top as you can with a traditional "church key" opener.

We make a rub of 1 tablespoon seasoned salt, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, and 1 tablespoon salt and freshly ground black pepper. Lighter on the black pepper than the salt. Mix this up very well. Rub the chicken all over very well with the rub. Think of it as suntan oil.

Pour what remains of the rub into the can of beer. It will foam up a bit, so do it over the sink.

Now, insert the can in the chicken's cavity. Our children lovingly referred to cooking chicken this way as "beer butt chicken." Potty talk was always popular when they were young.

Place the chicken on a disposable 8-inch-square aluminum pan and then put it on your grill, which is moderately hot. The chicken will be like a tripod. The two legs and the can being the three points of the tripod. The pan will collect the juices that will inevitably come out of the chicken and will prevent flare-ups on the grill.

Cover with the grill lid and cook about an hour and a half. No need to baste. Check with an instant-read thermometer to be sure it reaches the correct temperature, 170 degrees. I would take it off the grill at about 160 to 165, cover with foil and let continue cooking. It will continue to cook after it comes off the grill.

Be careful removing the chicken and the pan. Everything will be very, very hot. Serve with the juice, if you wish. Use tongs or heavy towels to extricate the chicken from the can. Toss the can and what's inside in the trash. It's not good to use for anything.

Our chicken always comes out with the most wonderful bronze skin and tender, juicy meat. Even the white meat.

When we don't want to cook it using the outdoor grill, we cook it in the oven.

Another thing we like to do is to use a clean beer or soda can and fill it with white wine and tarragon, rub the chicken with olive oil and stuff finely minced garlic and tarragon under the skin and cook using the same method. Grill or oven.

Really, really tasty.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

mmm, beer can chicken
I like Dr P, too, better than beer (for the chicken that is, but it is my pop of choice). I started adding a little worcestershire (sp?) sauce to the rub and making it into a paste.... very good. You can get stands at Walmart and they have directions on them, but I don't add water to the pie tin. I think the skin comes out crispier without.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I've done it both ways grill and oven -can really tell no difference, both yummyto me! I've used beer, sprite, etc. all good !
Old 04-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Take a look at these too:

Mexican Flavor Beer Can Chicken
Beer Can Chicken

Beer Butt/Can Chicken is one of our favorite meals!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 08:11 PM   #9
Master Chef

I guess any liquid would work...it's the moisture getting up inside the chicken that makes it so moist and tender.
I just sorta have a loyalty to beer.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I guess any liquid would work...it's the moisture getting up inside the chicken that makes it so moist and tender.
I just sorta have a loyalty to beer.
Yeah, "pop can chicken" just doesn't have the same ring ot it