"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 07-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Attili
My experience is lump burns hotter and longer than briquettes so you dont use nearly as much as briquettes. Also the ash created by lump is minimal compared to briquettes.
I totally agree!
Couldn't understand why most ppl say it burns faster.
In fact I cooked ribs with lump for about 2 hrs without having to add more at all.
And yes, chimney.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:04 PM   #52
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
I dont see the advantage of a chimney starter. You pile up the coals vertically to conduct heat, you vent at bottom and top ( I do this too with regular charcoal). What type of charcoal is used in the chimney starter? Thanks GB for the pic that helped alot to visualize! Matts, charcoal made from wood? How does it ignite when you light the fire? I dont understand charcoal made from wood actually.
A Chimney Starter functions as just that a HOT CHIMNEY.... the way the things are created allows you to strike one match at the bottom using newspaper..... within 10minutes you have a "Jet engine" full of blazing hot coals...

Normal (Preferably kingsford) charcoal is used Amber.... Once you go Chimney, you'll never go back to flluid... IMO...
:)

Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Cp View Post
A Chimney Starter functions as just that a HOT CHIMNEY.... the way the things are created allows you to strike one match at the bottom using newspaper..... within 10minutes you have a "Jet engine" full of blazing hot coals...

Normal (Preferably kingsford) charcoal is used Amber.... Once you go Chimney, you'll never go back to flluid... IMO...
:)
I agree... The Chimney is actually what made me switch from Gas to Charcoal. It's just so easy...

Only issue I ever have is that I don't get the newspaper. So when I get that kind of paper, I hold on to it. Newspaper that sits for a while tends to not start the charcoal as good as "Fresh" newspaper..

-Brad
Old 08-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #54
Assistant Cook

I use an old big coffee can and some lighter fluid. The idea is to stack the coals if you use fluid and when you use the can you can use less fluid and get a good light since the coals are stacked and held tight. Just load the can and spray some fluid and wait a minute. Then throw a match and in 20 minutes you are ready to go. I have been doing this for years and do not taste bit of fluid like some say they can. I have tried chimneys and gels and bottom starters and blow torches and all the other gadgets but with the coffee can I can replace at least once a month since I drink the coffee and I have never tasted fluid. It is a good set up if you ask me.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

If you have access to lump charcoal you will never go wrong. It's typically used for pig roasts, but it is amazing for everything. It burns at a medium heat but last a long time so you'll get a great tasting steak every time.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #56
Master Chef

I like lump charcoal but find it hard to come by around these parts. I also use a chimney starter, but cheat. I have found that when the humidity is high, the paper won'd always keep going and will have to be re-lit. This is time consuming and frustrating. My answer is to splash a bit of used cooking oil onto the crumpled newspaper and then light it. This garuntees that it will burn for a sufficeintly long time to ignite the charcoal, and doesn't impart any off flavors. It's also a great way to dispose of the used oil.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote