"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 10-13-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO DO help for Thanksgiving meal

I know it's a bit early but I need suggestions for a DO Chicken or Pork main dish for Thanksgiving so I can do a bit of practicing ahead of time. DW and M-I-L will be doing the turkey. I'd like to do a ham if I could (that's my DW's favorite for Thanksgiving but any suggestions or recipes will be appreciated). I'll be using my deep 12".
One thing I forgot to mention. This will be for my in-laws so I have to do good. My mother-in-law was impressed with the sweet bread I fixed (my first attempt with the DO) but for a main dish, the family is not so sure. Conventional oven or grill/smoker are more what they consider the norm.
Any and all recipes, suggestions and opinions will be appreciated.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Jammero, I really can't help, but if I invoke Uncle Bob's name, you might get a great answer.

Oh...........Uncle Bob. Where are you?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Jammero....

If the women folk are doing a turkey inside, then a DO ham would be good!

Almost any "baked" ham recipe will work, but I would suggest you use a pre-cooked butt portion ham to begin with. You can tooth pick pineapple rings and maraschino cherries to the ham for a festive look. A tasty glaze can be made from Orange Marmalade and/or pepper jelly. Or one of your own choosing. For your Deep 12 you will need about 30 briquettes. 20 on top, and 10 on bottom. This will put you in the 350* range inside the oven. Place the ham on a trivet (which can be a tuna can with top and bottom removed) and preheat the oven with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup liquid inside.(Water, pineapple juice, cherry juice mixture would work) Place the ham in the oven on the trivet and cook for about an hour and 15 minutes. About every 15 minutes rotate the oven 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, then rotate the lid 1/4 turn clock wise. This will help maintain even temperature and prevent hot spots from building up. Add the optional glaze during the last 15 minutes. Allow it to cool before slicing.

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Edit to Add. When you rotate the lid, don't lift it letting out heat.Just slide it around.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thank you, Uncle Bob. I knew you would be up to the challenge.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

And you are most Welcome.......

Old 10-14-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
Head Chef

As a total babe in the woods here, what the heck is a DO?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
Cook

DO like in Dutch Oven... I have used apricot and pineapple jam as a glaze for my ham
just heat it up in the microwave and pour it over your ham. I even make a apricot/
pineapple jam that I put marascino cherries in it, that would be purfect for your ham.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thank's for the referal Katie E, that was mighty neighborly of you. And thank's for the ham recipe Uncle Bob. Not only does it sound great, it tells me the two things I needed to know the most. How many coals and not to raise the lid when I rotate it.
auntdot, the dutch oven I have is a deep 12" cast iron pot with three short legs on it so you have room to place coals or wood for bottom heat and a lid with a ring in the middle to pick it up and a tall lip around the edge to help hold coals for top heat so it will cook like a kitchen oven. Uncle Bob, if I explained any of that wrong would you please straighten it out for me.
bigjimbray, that apricot and pineapple jam sounds interesting. I think I might have to give it a try. Thank's for the tip.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Jammero your description was excellent!! Good luck with the ham. The 30 briguettes will get you going. Depending on wind, outside temps etc you may have to add a few more later in the process. Just keep roughly 2/3 of the total on top and 1/3 underneath. Keep the ash build up off of the lid as it tends to cool things down somewhat. A small whisk broom works well.

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
Cook

Sounds like a great idea, Jammero. One year we did our entire Thanksgiving dinner in Dutch ovens, and it was so much fun.

Does your wife have a favorite ham recipe she uses? If so, you might consider just using it. The nice thing about using a recipe you're familiar with is you know what to expect. That's a big help when you're learning a new technique. You already know what the food is supposed to do and what it'll look like when it's done, etc. It saves a lot of wondering if it's cooking as it should, because you already know how things should progress. That way all you'll need to concentrate on is getting the heat right, which generally isn't that hard.

I've only cooked a ham once in the DO and used pretty much the same method as Uncle Bob described. Although instead of using a regular trivet, I placed my ham on a bed of pineapple rings. Anyway, here are a couple of recipes I have in my files. Maybe they'll give you some ideas.

Pineapple Glazed Ham

12-inch Dutch oven
1 (6 to 8 pound) bone-in ham
Whole cloves
Glaze:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (14-ounce) can crushed pineapple
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon prepared mustard

Take meat out of package and prepare by poking a series of small holes in it using a special meat tenderizer or fork. Place in your Dutch oven, fat side up. You may have to trim a little to fit it into pot. Cover surface of meat with whole cloves, about 1 every inch. Arrange 16 coals on the lid in checkerboard pattern and 9 coals on the bottom in a ring close to the outside edge of oven. Roast until inside temperature is 170F, changing your coals during the process when they are spent — about 1 hour later. You may want to inject the ham with pineapple juice during cooking process. Prepare glaze by mixing all ingredients together in an 8-inch Dutch oven or saucepan. Stir thoroughly. Place on low heat, stirring occasionally until thickened. About 30 to 40 minutes before serving, remove all drippings and moisture from around meat inside the pot. Pour glaze all over meat and replace lid. Make sure you have hot coals around the outside edge of the lid. The glaze will solidify and sweeten the ham. Cut meat into chunks and serve with your favorite vegetable. Takes about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

Tangy Glazed Ham

1 (5 to 7 pound) precooked ham
1 (15-ounce) can pineapple rings
1 (2-ounce) bottle maraschino cherries, optional
1 cup water
Glaze:
1 (8-ounce) jar orange marmalade
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
6 ounces amaretto or almond/cherry liqueur

Mix the glaze ingredients together and let sit while you're getting the charcoal ready. Place the ham on a rack in a deep 14-inch Dutch oven along with juices from the cherries and pineapple and the water. Brush the ham with the glaze and any other seasoning you wish to add. Place pineapple rings on the ham with a maraschino cherry in the center of each ring, if desired. Use toothpicks to secure pineapple rings and cherries to ham, if needed. Set the Dutch oven in a firepan with 8 to 10 briquets underneath and 12 to 14 around the outside of the lid and cook for an hour. Brush ham with the remaining glaze 2 to 3 times during cooking.

Recipe adapted from Cee Dub's Dutch Oven and Other Camp Cookin', Page 111