ISO "roughing it" camping tips.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah...it was a year ago...BUT we manage to go at least ONCE a year, so I'm glad this was revisited. I'll be dragging the tent out again pretty soon!!

When you do go camping again, there's nothing better to bring than some traditional GORP. Mix raisins, peanuts, granola, and, most importantly, m&ms. There's something so basically delicious about GORP when you're out camping or hiking.

As a side note, the last time I went backpacking with my husband and two friends, I made the GORP using the "support breast cancer research" PINK m&ms. It was great fun feeding them pink infused GORP! ;-)

when my kids were tweens and teens, we were avid campers. in high sierras. one year we took 15 teens all together. about 9 adults.

we did the usual hot dogs, burgers, etc. did have a bbq grill , one dish i remember was a canned chicken. opened it and shredded it and added bbq sauce and heated over the camp fire.

i am not sure how we kept that large group useful but we did it. a lot of hiking was involved. made em to tired to be very active at night.

otherwise , i am not a big camping fan. to much work for me .

babe

easy solution to grilling

try getting a folding meatal camp grill. all you do is set it up next to the fire and use a shovel to add coals from the fire to underneath the grill. these items are compact and with a little practice you will be serving awsome steaks porkchops burgers dogs ect. with that great wood grill flavor. you can usually find these at army surpus stores for around 20 bucks. here is a link as an example but shop around locally for a good deal.
12" x 16" Camp Grill with Folding Legs

Fires are not allowed where we camp... so we have a one burner (very small) camp stove. Since we mostly backpack up the sides of mountains we don't carry much. Freezed dried foods, bagels, granola bars, instant oatmeal things like that.

If we are car camping ( still no fires allowed)
we do a lot of hotdogs.

Fresh caught trout is always a special treat.

fire proof gloves

a decent pair of welding gloves is a great addition to your campfire cooking gear. you can pick up cast iron skillets as well as foil wrapped potatos. just make sure to keep them dry.

Back
Top Bottom