"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 07-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #11
Master Chef

Mish; I have two words availble to describe what I feel about your post with all of those incredible pie-iron recipes - WOW! & Thanks!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiom
Dove,
I have been looking for a particular pie iron for many years now. It was used by my mom when I was a child (in the early 60's) and it was round like the one you describe. I have found new pie irons that are round but the depth of the iron cavities is much deeper that the one we used so long ago. Can you (or anyone else) tell me the maker or brand name of the one you have. We mostly made grilled cheese sandwiches with it and like you said we had to cut the crusts off. I would love to buy one just like the one we had as children as it has a lot of sentimental value.
Thanks for your help
Sandiom
I'll have to check when I get home. I know the square one is generic, but I think the round one has a name like Tonka or something on it.

John

Old 11-21-2005, 12:39 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Mid 60's "Inventor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiom
Dove,
I have been looking for a particular pie iron for many years now. It was used by my mom when I was a child (in the early 60's) and it was round like the one you describe. I have found new pie irons that are round but the depth of the iron cavities is much deeper that the one we used so long ago. Can you (or anyone else) tell me the maker or brand name of the one you have. We mostly made grilled cheese sandwiches with it and like you said we had to cut the crusts off. I would love to buy one just like the one we had as children as it has a lot of sentimental value.
Thanks for your help
Sandiom
Did this company start in the mid 60’s, being sold out of the inventors’ car trunk??
The 1st makers I ever used were purchased by my dad from the “inventor” at a camp site in the mid 60’s. Some where out west around Grand Canyon, Teton, Mt. Alta areas, we were on a 6 weeks trip west from Indiana, I was around 10 and do not know exactly what camp, state or local, we met him at other than I remember bathing in the lake. He was looking for a retail connection for his invention and was not having much luck finding one that would handle only 1 item.

I like the round ones better than the square ones because they seal the pie better, as breads are hot square and many are not as large as the square ones need to seal properly. The trimmings make great bird watching "bait" food.

The makers that we bought were not smooth inside or out they were stepped.
________
_____| |______
_____| |______
| |

My brother had them until his canoe turned over at Eli.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 AM   #14
Cook

I used one of those once, when i was around 5 or 6, except no one told me you had to flip them over. and being so young and stupid, i didn't realize it. I ended up with a cherry pie that was burnt to a crisp on one side.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

last time i went campin we just used 2 sliced of bread and added nutella and mallows and i forgot what else :/ we also used 2 slices of bread and pie filling and just cooked it over the fire.. . yummmy :)
Old 05-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

yeahh all it was was nutella and mallows . . the bread was like the graham :)
Old 06-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

If you have a round pie iron, then you can use hamburger rolls and not bread. (It saves the trimming and makes for a thicker "crust".) For pies, an easy camping substitute for the sugar is 1/2 a marshmallow. It makes for a gooier (sp) filling, and when you are camping that's half the fun.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:16 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Talking how can i get one?

well, this is my first post.....i recently started camping again after yrs of neglect....i used to go all the time thru school w/the scouts as well as buddies in college....now im goin with my girlfriend......never heard of pie irons but they seem like a good "tool" to have. I read that someone used a pie iron to make sanduche de cubano aka cuban sandwich and that sounds like a great idea....thanks for the ideas guys and i look forward to talkin to u all soon.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:34 AM   #19
Cook

We received four of them as gifts but never really used them. After reading these posts I think I will get them out and try some things this weekend, thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
We received four of them as gifts but never really used them. After reading these posts I think I will get them out and try some things this weekend, thanks.
Let me know how you like them. I've got a bunch of cast iron & ovens & am going to try to cook more outside than over the stove of the trailer. I'd like to find some larger ones so that I could cook several pies or one large on that can be shared. Guess that's where having several irons in the fire comes from.