Not enough heat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

startingcooking

Assistant Cook
I've started cooking steaks, as well as ahi tuna steaks, in an enamelled cast iron pan. When cooking and following various directions online, the top and the bottom are done and have a nice finish to them, however all four sides are still raw/rare. By the time the sides cook through the steak is well-done/overdone inside. I was wondering if I am potentially not getting the pan hot enough/using too low heat?

I suppose that it depends on how you like your steak and seafood.

I would be reluctant to use an enameled cast iron pan, try a screaming hot uncoated cast iron pan and cover after searing the first side and flipping to side two.

The high heat should give a great sear and prevent moisture from pooling. The addition of a cover should help to create an ‘oven’ to help cook the sides.

Another option would be to sear on both sides and transfer to a hot oven for a few minutes.

Listen to the ‘experts’ then practice and experiment until you find a method that works for you.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I've started cooking steaks, as well as ahi tuna steaks, in an enamelled cast iron pan. When cooking and following various directions online, the top and the bottom are done and have a nice finish to them, however all four sides are still raw/rare. By the time the sides cook through the steak is well-done/overdone inside. I was wondering if I am potentially not getting the pan hot enough/using too low heat?
Welcome to DC.

I think GG has the right of it. Do you top and bottom, then tongs to hold the meat to turn onto each side.
My only other suggestion is to do the top and bottom first then the sides.

Need to mention I would have been tempted to do the reverse, but if you think about it - the meat will be just that little bit more firm in order to have a good but gentle grip.
Also doing them in that order gives you a visual as to how far in the meat has cooked.

I think GG has the right of it. Do you top and bottom, then tongs to hold the meat to turn onto each side.
My only other suggestion is to do the top and bottom first then the sides.

Need to mention I would have been tempted to do the reverse, but if you think about it - the meat will be just that little bit more firm in order to have a good but gentle grip.
Also doing them in that order gives you a visual as to how far in the meat has cooked.

Since my preferred way to cook steaks is sous vide and sear, I've established a routine for my searing. If I use a cast iron pan, I sear all the edges first using some tongs to stand the steaks up and hold them that way, and then sear the two sides. There is no particular reason I do it in that order, it's just my routine.

CD

Since my preferred way to cook steaks is sous vide and sear, I've established a routine for my searing. If I use a cast iron pan, I sear all the edges first using some tongs to stand the steaks up and hold them that way, and then sear the two sides. There is no particular reason I do it in that order, it's just my routine.

CD
I do the same thing except the edges are last because that's how I saw it done in a video. In other words, for no good reason.

I think the order matters less with sous-vide. One, the steak is already cooked when you start to sear it, so the visual of how cooked the steak is is irrelevant. Two, since the meat is already cooked, it isn't as floppy as a raw slab o' meat. It will be easy to hold the meat with the tongs to do the edges, before or after the larger surfaces are seared.

A kitchen torch is another good way to sear the edges of a steak. I go back and forth between a torch and a cast iron pan. With the pan, you can use some butter and herbs to add to the flavor of the steak. The torch gives a nice sear without doing any additional cooking to the meat. That's pretty much the only difference I've noticed.

CD

I also cook steak on all sides.
If it has fat on it, I like to start on that side, but it doesn't really matter.
I like plain cast iron for steaks.

Not sure if I would do fish in the same (uncoated) cast iron pan though

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom