"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #31
Head Chef

I found it rather condescending. Like YOU are the one that needs to come in and save the day...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
I found it rather condescending. Like YOU are the one that needs to come in and save the day...
I just didn't want to see things escalate. Sometimes a mediator can be helpful. I was only trying to help. I wish I had your phone number. We have agreed in so many posts, and as I said, I respect you and what you have to say. Things are often cleared up when people have a chance to talk to each other. The written word can easily be misconstrued. If you care to talk, pm me. I like to make freinds and am sorry if I sounded condescending.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #33
Everymom

Is everything all worked out then? Its good to see folks trying to clear up misunderstandings.

I must admit I was confused about the whole pumpkin not being pumpkin thing too Wyogal. And tell me, does butternut squash taste the same as pumpkin in pie form?

I can't stand pumpkin pie (gasp! sacrilege!) but my family LOVES it. I can't decide if its the texture or the taste or the fact that I'm making a sweet dessert from a savory veggie. I weirds me out. OK, sorry, long story to ask a simple question. I would be willing to try a different veggie to get the same results because one of the things I can't stand is the smell of the pumpkin. I find other stuff less...aromatic.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #34
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
I thought about that, but we are already having sweet potatoes with the meal. Do you know of any good sweet potato pie recipes? I may make one later on during the holidays.
I have never made it myself, but if I find one, I will let you know.

Barbara
Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

I've never made one either. It has to taste pretty good if you like SwPot.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #36
Master Chef

Sweet potato pie can be made using the same recipes as for pumpkin pie. Of course the sweet potato has to be cooked and mashed until smooth first. When the pie is made using a pumpkin pie recipe, the flavor is similar. That being said, you can do a few things with sweet potato pie that is not normally done with pumpkin pie. You can flavor the custard with maple syrup for instance, or add orange zest to the custard. It doesn't have to taste like traditional pumpkin pie. As it is a custard, the texture is nearly identical to pumpkin pie. Yep, I've both had and made sweet potato pie.

I once was given a slice of bean pie, made I think from great northern beans. How this was done, I don't know. But it was also very similar in both texture and flavor to pumpkin pie.

Oh, a tip. I once had too much pumpkin pie filling for the two pie crusts that I had made. I added flour and baking powder, with a bit of cooking oil to the filling mixture. I then cooked the batter in my waffle iron. That made some really tasty waffles, with syrup and butter.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #37
Head Chef

Goodweed,I understood your point. You are a great guy and always willing to help us out.

Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-25-2009, 11:33 PM   #38
Senior Cook

Well I made the pie! I did use canned pumpkin. It looks okay, I guess. I don't really like pumpkin pie - this is for my mom. The recipe is my grandma's, a non-negotiable part.

I also made pecan pie. I've never made that either. I've never had it and I found a recipe from cooks country that doesn't use corn syrup. I don't know if it's supposed to look this dark, but it doesn't smell burnt. This one is for my brother in law.

Thanks everyone for telling me not to go with the real pumpkin, that would have been an awful amount of work and I wasn't in the mood today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pie 001.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	7717   Click image for larger version

Name:	pie 002.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	7718  

Old 11-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

That pecan pie looks perfect.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:04 AM   #40
Senior Cook

Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better about it. I hope it tastes good too!

Tags
None