"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
My grandmother always used the cap of the bottle to measure vanilla extract. That is how I measure it, too.
I have done that. Why dirty another spoon.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
My grandmother always used the cap of the bottle to measure vanilla extract. That is how I measure it, too.
That's how my mom does it too! I have mine in a different type bottle, so no cap, or I'd do the same!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #23
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Me too. When vanilla is the only flavoring, I don't even bother to measure it. A quick 'glug' does the job and very nicely. I haven't bought a box cake in eons or many moons ago, but when I did, I always added vanilla to it. It really gave a flavor boost to it.

How many times would you see Julia add vanilla with her measuring spoon and over fill it. "One teaspoon (or more)". Short of using an eye dropper to fill a teaspoon, it is almost impossible to not overfill it.
Vanilla, cinnamon, and nuts are three things I usually add more of to recipes.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 AM   #24
Head Chef

The one I make is a lemon jello cake that uses a white cake mix, eggs, oil, lemon extract and then a glaze with 10x sugar and lemon juice. No vanilla. I love it but am the only one that does so I don't get it often unless I want to eat the whole thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
The one I make is a lemon jello cake that uses a white cake mix, eggs, oil, lemon extract and then a glaze with 10x sugar and lemon juice. No vanilla. I love it but am the only one that does so I don't get it often unless I want to eat the whole thing.
I make that as well, with a yellow cake mix. My whole family loves it, so I don't get to eat the whole thing, darn it!

I'll bet there is vanilla in the cake mixes.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #26
Head Chef

Oops, also it obviously uses a box of lemon jello, hence the lemon "jello" cake name.

Barbara, since you brought it up, I have to agree with you, there is some sort of powdered vanilla or artificial vanilla flavoring in the mix since I've never seen a scratch cake mix without some sort of extract flavoring in it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

I have the dehydrated vanilla and I use it all the time in place of the liquid. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it is way cheaper than the liquid. What made me buy it was I remembered when I worked in a bank's employees cafeteria doing their invoices, I saw the vanilla on one. I went and asked the baker about it and he showed me what it was. He said that he loved it and he would never order the liquid again. So one Christmas when I had a lot of baking to do, I remembered it and found it at one of the spice companies on line.

One of the things I love about it is that when I use it in white frosting, it is white and doesn't discolor the frosting.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

When I bake a lemon flavoured cake, I always add fresh lemon juice and lemon extract, because I find that this is where the true lemon flavour came from, and this is what makes the lemon cake taste like lemon, I don't add the lemon extract or anything, but I do add a little bit of vanilla extract for the flavour as well.
Here is the lemon cake recipe that I love using, you can really taste the lemon in there.

1 cups of All Purpose Flour
1 tsp of Baking Powder
tsp of Salt
1 cup of Granulated Sugar
cup of Unsalted Butter at room temperature
2 Eggs
cup of Whole Milk
cup of Sour Cream
2 tsp of Freshly Grated Lemon Zest
2 Tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice
tsp of Vanilla Extract

I hope this helps. happy baking!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

I disagree with using vanilla with lemon. You can't get a nice sharp/tart lemon taste with vanilla in the mix. I use Alix's lemon cake recipe that calls for lemon juice and zest. No lemon extract, no vanilla. Lemon cake

Being a lemon dessert freak, I doubled the amount of zest in the cake and increased the sugar and lemon juice by 50% for the glaze.

As the old TV ad used to say, "Try it, you'll like it!"
Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #30
Sous Chef

In my kitchen, you're the boss, you can add or leave out what ever you like.
A little vanilla might be included in some recipes to enhance the other flavors.

Tags
None