Angel food cake "tricks" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I'm Going to try - and My DH is just going to have to get over it!
Is Peter Pan aware of this decision? What will he say if Mommy's "recipe" (if you can count a box and canned frosting as a recipe) isn't followed?

MW ~ I don't understand the dairy issue. You say you eat it so what is wrong with a dairy bi-product that some don't consider dairy? Then again, I consider eggs in the dairy family because that's how the food pyramid when I was young described eggs.

sigh..............here goes......

first of all, whey IS dairy.

Next - our oven is meat. no dairy goes in there at all. and most of us inthe family can't have a lot of dairy anyway...and we wait 6 hours from eating meat before eating dairy, so there's no dairy at all for holiday meals

last but not least, we don't use the kosher symbol on the package! we only use mainstream pareve - non dairy - prepared items.

...so are the joys of a Kosher kitchen...

Why ask questions when you have a way to shoot down/make excuses for all the suggestions? And how are you planing on making cakes with an oven you CAN'T PUT DAIRY IN?

Sounds to me like you need to check out some recipes on a site that specializes in dairy free. I just Googled dairy free recipes and came up with 276,000 hits in 0.27 seconds.

When you have special needs - special regulations to follow - it might be nice to put all that out there in a post. I know you have mentioned it other places but not everyone reads every thread.

I also Googled dairy free cakes and came up with 461,000 in 0.18 seconds.

Why a sad face? Seriously, why? I told you to check out the sites that specialize in the things you require. Very few people specialize in all your needs/requirements here. I don't mean that "mean" - I mean it as "help yourself". Be pro-active! You can't just sit there and expect everyone to do all the looking....and on top of that it ALWAYS be not what you want albeit a recipe or other things. YOU look - it won't take near as long because you know what YOU are looking for. Then, if you find something you have questions about provide links and get help.

i didn't ask for a recipe. i asked for "tricks". and i got one good one - chill the beaters. that's all i asked. i'm used to my requirement. I'm keeping kosher all my life !

In that case...my trick is to have an empty wine bottle handy and set your angel food cake pan on it to cool. Let it "hang out" for however long they say before you remove it. That may be a common "trick", I don't know.

In that case...my trick is to have an empty wine bottle handy and set your angel food cake pan on it to cool. Let it "hang out" for however long they say before you remove it. That may be a common "trick", I don't know.
Letting it hang for long enough was my issue. I rushed, it fell. The only problem I had was top heavy issues. You need to add water, salt, or sand to the wine bottle (don't use a bottle that you haven't consumed the wine ~ the heat would ruin the wine) to get a weight balance to cool the cake. At least that's my experience. Just make sure it hangs long enough to set.

Letting it hang for long enough was my issue. I rushed, it fell. The only problem I had was top heavy issues. You need to add water, salt, or sand to the wine bottle (don't use a bottle that you haven't consumed the wine ~ the heat would ruin the wine) to get a weight balance to cool the cake. At least that's my experience. Just make sure it hangs long enough to set.

mmmm....it was so long ago (and it was a mix) but I think I may have added the water to my bottle.

Is Peter Pan aware of this decision? What will he say if Mommy's "recipe" (if you can count a box and canned frosting as a recipe) isn't followed?

Well, the prince of angel food cake topped with chocolate frosting turned his nose up at the creamy topped angel food cake.:glare: However after one "polite" stare :mad: from me. He tried it and...........................:ROFLMAO: He thought it was great!

Thanks to Alix the topping is awesome! I used 1/2 raseberry yougurt and 1/2 lemon Yummy!

We had a good laugh too. I could only find the outsides to my angel food pans. :ermm: So since the box said not to use a bunt pan it might over flow and to me that means just don't fill it so full.:-p I had to put the extra batter in bread tubes.:huh: Yep Star Shaped Angel Food Logs:)
So I sliced it up and spread with topping. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:

My cake in the Bunt is "Hanging out" as we speak. I have it on an adjustable measuring cup. I think as long as you have something that will hold the pan up by the center then your fine:)

Attachments

• IMAGE_289.jpg
    IMAGE_289.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 163
Now I want angel food cake with mom's "recipe". I even have an excuse....I have to pack only essential items so I have to test my angel food cake pan to see if it's working before I pack it. I think I'll make it and halve it and do half chocolate and half the suggested creamy flavors.

what if you don't bake in bundt pan? wht if you bake as a loaf or cupcakes ?
Angel food cake isn't supposed to be done in a bunt pan. It's supposed to be done in the special angel food cake pan, the one where the external piece and internal piece are separate. The issue is it has to hang upside down to cool and you can't do that in a loaf pan or cupcake tin. If you don't hang it to cool and allow it to cool completely, it will go flat.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack but what do you mean an angel food cake pan has two pieces? My two pans are admittedly really really old, but only one piece each. Can you explain the two piece thingy?

Back
Top Bottom